Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accident on the A2 This morning

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]yes, what an inconvenience to all of us healthy people that weren't involved. Lets hope the guy is ok eh guys?

They close the roads to measure skidmarks etc etc. I bet the guy was rushed to hospital asap and rightly so.

In Florida, if there is a crash on the Interstate, its cleared ASAP..

yes, and everyone sues everyone every 5 mins in the usa, so they know there is no point in investigating it as everyone will be blamed anyway.

Don't the US have a far less complicated road network than us? i.e less junctions, wider motorways, less tunnels, less minor roads surrounding the motorways etc How wide is the interstate? and aren't there different people that own it to the normal roads? there is definately limited access to it, I'm not an expert on us roads to be honest.

if the A2 didn't go through suburbs, then people wouldn't have an option to get on or off jamming everything else up. the A2 is 2 lanes only, and the tunnel area is also under the station and therefore they surely would have to check if any damage had been done to the structure?

I'd rather not drive through it next week and it collapse on me and the govt/police say "well everyone was moaning to reopen so we didn't check it was stable"

You're right about the US suzi however it's not all fun and games - I once waited 8 hours to clear a junction just outside Seattle (Interstate 5 @ highway 405) and they are both 5-6 lane highways. IMO the real issue is that the road system in certain places (Seattle and South East london) is almost at breaking point and something needs to be done about it. It's much easy for people to blame OB, H&S and lefties (that I laugh at) rather than looking at the real problem that too many people are using cars for the infrastructure that is there.
  • Options
    the main highway through Calgary was closed this morning after a horse transporter carrying 44 over-turned, killing 12 of them

nasty messy accident, the driver wasn't licensed to drive the vehicle :(
  • Options
    What an amazing thread. Major accident on the A2 so it's the government's fault for closing the road!

Ah well, as long as I'm alright, eh Jack?

I tell you what HAS changed in the last few years. More people spout bollocks on internet forums than they ever did before!
  • Options
    Is that the dogs..........

(sorry).
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]What an amazing thread. Major accident on the A2 so it's the government's fault for closing the road!

Ah well, as long as I'm alright, eh Jack?

I tell you what HAS changed in the last few years. More people spout bollocks on internet forums than they ever did before!

Offit....Jeezuz H Christ....please read 'exactly' what I've written.
    No one is saying they don't have to close the road to do ALL that's neccessary to save a life and carry out medical needs....what I'm saying is that there is way too much red tape now attached by The Highways Agency and roads are IMHO closed for far longer than is needed whilst god knows what is carried out by god knows who.
    Suzi stated that she was sure a lot of folk were working very hard trying to get the road open ASAP....I've no doubt that's true...but WHAT are they working hard doing FFS....carrying out all the legislation now laid down by The Highways Agency....that's what....how much of it is 'really' neccessary....I admit I don't know, I only know that accidents now seem to take two or three times longer to clear than they did say a decade ago....why this is I honestly don't know but it needs looking at because more and more the whole infrastructure of peoples daily lives are being massively disrupted due to accidents or perceived accidents by a society driven by 'what's best' for us all....well sorry but I simply don't subscribe to that.
    To try to suggest that I'm suggesting an 'I'm all right Jack' stance is WAY out of order....read what I've said again please....Suzi you should do the same!
    Recently the railway line near London Bridge was closed down for almost a day because a fire in a railway arch was a few hundred yards from where 3 bottled gas containers were stored...FFS!!
    Recently the police closed off The Old Kent Road for 3 days....yes 3 days after an illegal immigrant was stabbed on a petrol station forecourt.Ok not exactly what we are talking about but still systematic of what goes on nowadays.
    I've been driving for 45 years now and I know for sure that wheras the ethos years ago was for the local police force to clear up and get the traffic moving ASAP that's changed beyond ALL recognition due to....yes you've guessed it, The Highways Agencies involvment and all the red tape and legislation/ procedures (that must be obeyed at all costs), which has taken away the common sense and judgement previously used by the police at the scene.
  • Options
    All H+S law in the UK stands by the consept of "resonable practicle" (sic) this seems to totaly be missed by the mafia which apply it in many cases.

The Disable discrimination act has the words "resonable betterments" in it again most seem not to understand this or ever use it.

i hope the rider got the treatment that he needed (as we alldo) but sometimes i wonder if its not red tape gone barmy.
  • Options
    The main reason roads are closed completely when there are large accidents is because the majority of people drive like absolute c***s and make accidents worse. If carriageways weren't closed after an accident, many of them would be made considerably worse by rubberneckers, morons who just want to get through irrespective of how bad the accident is and people generally not paying attention.

I was once fortunate enough to be about twenty cars back from a pile-up on the M6 just past the Cannock junction. The driving I saw then made me lose my faith in the human race. People were driving onto the hard shoulder and piling past at 70mph - a bloke got out of one of the damaged cars and was promptly hit by one of these pricks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]All H+S law in the UK stands by the consept of "resonable practicle" (sic) this seems to totaly be missed by the mafia which apply it in many cases.

The Disable discrimination act has the words "resonable betterments" in it again most seem not to understand this or ever use it.

i hope the rider got the treatment that he needed (as we alldo) but sometimes i wonder if its not red tape gone barmy.

Thanks GH...that's exactly what I'm saying!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]The main reason roads are closed completely when there are large accidents is because the majority of people drive like absolute c***s and make accidents worse. If carriageways weren't closed after an accident, many of them would be made considerably worse by rubberneckers, morons who just want to get through irrespective of how bad the accident is and people generally not paying attention.

I was once fortunate enough to be about twenty cars back from a pile-up on the M6 just past the Cannock junction. The driving I saw then made me lose my faith in the human race. People were driving onto the hard shoulder and piling past at 70mph - a bloke got out of one of the damaged cars and was promptly hit by one of these pricks.

Don't believe THAT'S the reason why they close the road Leroy...sorry.
    Though you have a valid point...that in itself isn't the reason though.
    PS...You of course don't drive like that and are the perfect driver no doubt...I know I'm not!!
  • Options
    Chill out SoundAs - I can see the steam rising from your keyboard from here!
    ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    Don't believe THAT'S the reason why they close the road Leroy...sorry.
    Though you have a valid point...that in itself isn't the reason though.
    PS...You of course don't drive like that and are the perfect driver no doubt...I know I'm not!!
    No need to apologise - I don't give a monkeys what you or anyone else on here believes. I'm just stating a fact - live with a woman who works as an A&E nurse for six years and has dealt with more road accident fatalities as a result of 'incidental collision' than the original incidents themselves and you might have a different view.

I don't profess to be a perfect driver - but I am a good one, and don't drive like a mug - unlike about 75% of people I see driving on the A2 anywhere from new Cross to Dover.
  • Options
    This was a fatal accident, according to the coach driver this morning
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]This was a fatal accident, according to the coach driver this morning
    Not good enough. Roll him out of the way and lets get on with it yeah? Hope a few people who posted earlier about the OB closing roads unnecessarily are proud of themselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]This was a fatal accident, according to the coach driver this morning
    Not good enough. Roll him out of the way and lets get on with it yeah? Hope a few people who posted earlier about the OB closing roads unnecessarily are proud of themselves.

Who on earth suggested that FFS!!
    And yes, I am proud of myself!
  • Options
    SASA£,

I have read your comments, and I still cant see the point of your beef with the authorities. Yes, I'm sure its frustrating to be late where you are going because of a closure to a road. I'm sure that a day or so later it would seem immaterial anyway as its really not THAT important to be on time for everything you do and sometimes there is no time limit anyway, its just your own impatience.

Perhaps 10 years ago these incidents were cleared up a lot more quickly and caused less disruption because there were less cars on the roads? less traffic to clear? less nosy drivers trying to look at the gore on the side of the road?

I dunno, that railway line closure because of the deptford/new cross fire was an inconvenience to many, poor london workers being an hour late for work, but I reckon you'd have thanked the red tape authoritys that you complain about so much if the train you were travelling on going past had blown up because they ddn't do their investigation properly before opening the tracks.

condolences to the family of the guy involved in the a2 crash last week.
  • Options
    What Suzi says.

It's a pain being late but all you are is late.

Suzi, you said condolences. Has the guy died? if so that is all that really matters then.
  • Options
    medders said up the thread that his coach driver said it was fatal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]medders said up the thread that his coach driver said it was fatal.

So he did. Didn't read it properly.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    because someone happen to say that, doesn't mean it was fatal; hopefully he is pulling through, maybe the News Shopper will update us this week - but after the initial story and the traffic delays they don't seem to follow up.
  • Options
    i'm told the guy died i'm afraid. on a motorbike and witnesses said the traffic slowed but he just kept going, straight into the back of another vehicle. one witness said it just looked like the motorcyclist fell asleep and just didn't see the traffic stop. one of the reasons for the delay is they had to move the central reservation and thats why the traffic came to a halt.

its very sad, stuff the traffic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]because someone happen to say that, doesn't mean it was fatal; hopefully he is pulling through, maybe the News Shopper will update us this week - although unfortunately the press don't usually follow stories like this up. They tend to be like SASA£ and more interested in issues of traffic delays rather than whether people have died.

So the pillorying goes on egh...jeezuz you guys are determined to make me out to be something I know I'm not and to spin my words to suit your accusations.......lay off please!
  • Options
    Spin your words, oh please
  • Options
    Sorry SA, the original wording didn't read as I really intended, please accept my apologies if I made it sound like you were uncaring, I am sure you're not.

But perhaps you could have expressed your sympathy for the victim before launching an attack on the Highways Agency.
  • Options
    perhaps everyone has said what they wanted to say and this thread has run its course ?
  • Options
    fair enough and I do think SASA£ is getting a bit of unfair digging because he's still here on this thread and defending his points, where as other "i was 20 mins late" moaners have long since departed when their conscience was pricked!
  • Options
    Took me bloody ages to get to the gym that day.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Took me bloody ages to get to the gym that day.....

the irony of driving to the gym.....
  • Options
    fitness-escalator-798427.jpg