Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jerome Thomas.

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
For the life of me I cannot remember where he ended up?...does he play?

Comments

• Options
    Pompey and no he does not
  • Options
    He's done his back. (probably picking-up his wallet)
  • Options
    scored for their reserves earlier this week actually
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, banged the hot dog seller apparently.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lol. He probably missed the target though.....:o)
  • Options
    ouch !
  • Options
    ah did he get into the box before he shot tho?

want some mustard on that?
  • Options
    released by Pompey. Be interesting to see where he ends up.
  • Options
    I'd take him back
  • Options
    Palace?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Lazy sod, will only really hold down a place in the Championship. Never have him back, he's a symptom of our demise
  • Options
    lazy maybe but he turned it on way more than Ambrose ever did
  • Options
    let's face it all our crock of shit from the past are better than most of the junk that will be starting next season, they may not have had the greatest attittude but they are better players FACT
    but i know some would rather watch a shit footballer who works hard and who supported charlton as a kid and came through our ranks than a baby bentley lazy fuck who doesn't make the most of their abilities
    for me with the crap players you'll always do crap but with the lazy sods theres a small chance of something good
  • Options
    can see him going Mbro or Ncastle
  • Options
    Yeah I love to see a player like Thomas who in a season and a half makes one assist and no goals, it's a joy to behold. It just bores me so much when Bailey hares about scores infinitely more, assists and tackles whilst giving the ball away in a fit of energy. Yeah I love to see Thomas playing deep and doing sod all match after match, that's what football's about potential. Not like Mortimer, Newton, Walsh, Robinson or Robson who even in a bad match did at least one potentially dangerous thing. Whilst Thomas with all the skill in the world couldn't ever do something pragmatic in a difficult match. His last few seasons, apart from a West Ham abberation, were appalling.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]lazy maybe but he turned it on way more than Ambrose ever did[/quote]

Lets agree to differ on that
  • Options
    He was one of the most predictable players I've ever seen. He always did the same thing and every defender in the league knew at some point he would stop, take a couple of touches, turn inside and cross with his right foot. So easy to defend against and frustrating to watch particularly as a player so dependent on his right foot he wasn't particularly good on the right side.
  • Options
    along with Marcus Bent, Thomas was one of Curbs worst signings during the later years, IMO.
  • Options
    there goes our appearances money then. Bollox.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]along with Marcus Bent, Thomas was one of Curbs worst signings during the later years, IMO.

don't be a muppet - he cost £100k for christs sake!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't think of many better buys for £100k.
  • Options
    Can't think of many worse attitudes than Thomas.

Everything I hate about modern football is summed up by him.
  • Options
    John Thomas ...... I'd forgotten about him
  • Options
    Sir Tossford of Pott! Knob with extra emphasis on the K.
  • Options
    I really rated JT and was gutted when he went.

Very frustrating at times but was a player who could turn a game on his day. Did seem to care about the club too as he could have jumped ship a lot earlier than he did. Replaced with that Bouazza who was a complete chump in terms of attitude and consitency and made JT look like a hybrid John Barnes (at his best) in terms of skill and Roy Keane in terms of comitment to the cause.
  • Options
    Plenty of ability, but never had the attitude to reach any where near his potential.

As said he became predictable, very inconsistent and I'm not one to go on about effort and work rate, but he was one of the laziest players we've had over the last few seasons. Shame because in his first season he at least had a decent work rate.

One of those players that's got enough ability to reach a certain level, make a decent bit of money from his career but isn't interested in pushing on. Look at other wingers like Ashley Young, SWP and Aaron Lennon, all capped by England, something Thomas could have done if he had the right attitude for it. Not many English players with pace and skill around, unfortunately he's never used them because he's not had that desire to improve that other players have had.

When we were a safe mid table Prem club, we didn't have players like Thomas, Ambrose, Rommedahl etc who were good on their day. Too many players like that is never going to work. We used to have reliable players that we knew what we'd get from them, but to go with that they had the ability to play in the Premier League. It's not just about effort and stamina, need enough ability as well, and we should be trying to build a team with the right mix, something we haven't had in the last few seasons.
  • Options
    Excellent purchase by Curbs for £100,000 which was peanuts in Premiership terms.

He offered defenders an outlet and won us a lot of free kicks as well as being able to beat a man and cross.

His problem, like so many, was his poor attitude in that he knew he was good but thought he didn't have to produce it regularly. He went down in my estimation during that awful Wycombe Carling Cup game but overall, at the price, especially during Curbs' time, he was a success in my opinion.

That said he hasn't got the grafting qualities for league 1 so wouldn't help us much now even if we could afford his inflated wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Excellent purchase by Curbs for £100,000 which was peanuts in Premiership terms.

He offered defenders an outlet and won us a lot of free kicks as well as being able to beat a man and cross.

His problem, like so many, was his poor attitude in that he knew he was good but thought he didn't have to produce it regularly. He went down in my estimation during that awful Wycombe Carling Cup game but overall, at the price, especially during Curbs' time, he was a success in my opinion.

That said he hasn't got the grafting qualities for league 1 so wouldn't help us much now even if we could afford his inflated wages.

agreed, he did ok when we played a flat midfield with one wide option -him but when we tried with two wide men we and him came un stuck.

work rate got worse and worse and was even more frustration because when he did turn it on he was superb, but only turned it on for a few minuetes a game

Would not want to see him back in any capacity..
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]along with Marcus Bent, Thomas was one of Curbs worst signings during the later years, IMO.[/quote]don't be a muppet - he cost £100k for christs sake![/quote]

As much as I dislike him, at £100 k he was a great buy. He could have been worth a lot more by the time he left us, but for his attitude, one of the players who just could not be arsed for Les Reed in the Wycombe game and first championship season he should have been tearing up the opposition but ended up with no goals,few assists - if any - and the player who compensated for the loss of Andy Reed. He and Ambrose could have got us promotion that season and if you look at the records Ambrose did put the performances in, maybe not consistently but Thomas barely raised a sweat. Only three or so years ago he was being hailed as a future England star and if you watch the West Ham video you see what his indifference has thrown away, as he destroyed West ham in the 1st Half.
  • Options
    Thomas!..... To me sums up why we went wrong in the prem...... A footballer who had ability and a decent turn of speed, and as others have stated on his day was a very effective player, the trouble was he only had 3 days a year!....I cannot think that a footballer does not care, and does not want to play to the best of his ability , but JT gave every indication of not wanting to get to the next level of being more than a 'prospect'. A young player who should have been one of the best players in the Championship, and quite frankly did not even look good enough for that league. Bad attitude, cannot be asked, badly managed, I have no idea!, whatever,...... he never seemed to take his chance, or fullfill great promise that I for one thought the guy showed.
    Hope the 'crystal' tasted good matey, Charlton paid the tab for it!