Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's Me

I said I had a family and I intend to keep them so wont be on here every day but will try to answer your ? as best I can on the occasions I am.

Yes the distraction of the Fish thing is a difficult one especially when the crowd are up for supporting the team becos we are doing well at that particular time and the atmosphere generated by the fans fades a bit. at that moment> something I have noticed and will ask about it> guess we have obligations as we should and nobody thought it would perhaps take on such a significance.
As far as the beer thing goes i've thought that for years what a pain that is and never understood why we all need to see it poured anyway. Usually you just want one to drink one not watch someone elses being poured> Will ask too about that one......................hope you all got a sense of humour..................I dont have a problem getting a beer now in the Directors lounge :-)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Derek Chappell[/cite]..................I dont have a problem getting a beer now in the Directors lounge :-)

You probably need one in there.
  • Options
    Derek nice to have you back.

How do you see the up coming transfer window, are we going to be able to bring in any more players or is it likely that some may be going the other way?
  • Options
    Derek, many thanks for signing up and making yourself known and approachable. Its much appreciated by all that you are trying to make yourself visable.

However, having questions directed about concourse beers and other periphery topics sadly won't be productive, will bore and waste your time, and waste any positive aspects we may gain from this relationship.

Please don't feel you have to respond to evry inane topic we generate on this site, the fact you are making yourself open and approachable is greatly appreciated.

If we could generate a system whereby our users questions that are relating to the top level of our club are filtered down to a few pertinent ones every few weeks, would you be happy for me to put those to you ?

thanks again
    AFKA
  • Options
    the other ? about are we looking at other investors..................we dont go looking what happens is we sometimes get approached. If we want best by the club, and we do, then we have to consider any such approach along with our advisors. Its an ongoing thing that comes up occasionally.
  • Options
    Yes wont be answering all the smaller issues to avoid the bigger ones but did those 2. The beer one has been around to my knowledge for the last 30 years although in my early years queing for anything at Charlton wasn't a problem as there wasn't enough of us there!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Derek

What is the current financial situation of the club? At the time of the takeover there was some press speculation that we had £20m in debt, no doubt this was wide of the mark but what is the debt situation? How much is secured and is unsecured, and are you happy that we are financially secure overall.

Also, what is the likelihood of players coming in during the next transfer window?
  • Options
    Transfer window..........It's fair to say we don't have substantial sums of money sitting there in the bank. Money is always great if you have it in a Club but many teams have proved it is not always the answer unless its a very very large sum. We will have to see nearer the time where we stand. I believe the credit crunch and it's effect on other Clubs is going to make a big difference to the situation anyway as that kicks in and effects the whole transfer market and wages issue.
  • Options
    If you have time Derek, i would be interested in your view on the following question:

No doubt Zabeel was not the first approach Charlton have received in recent times. However, it was most certainly the most public, though it now appears this was their preferred approach. What i would like to know is what has the board learned from this experience ? If a further indicative offer was to be received from another group, would we try and handle things, both publicly and privately, differently ?

thanks
  • Options
    Welcome, Derek - a privilege to have you here, though it does feel a bit like the boss has just walked into the room! ;-)

Following on from AFKA's point, maybe we should have a category called 'Questions for Derek' so that it would be easy for people to post them, and for you to find them on your occasional visits? I certainly wouldn't expect you to have either the time or the inclination to read through our banter and respond to every issue...you have a football club to run, after all!

Cheers
    Weegie
  • Options
    It isn't always in our hands as we could get interest which is so good for the club in our opinion that we dont want to lose it by refusing a request that it is made public early. Like any other deal like this and not specifically football clubs you would expect it to be confidential until further down the line. All these issues have to be considered at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weegie Addick...yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Does the Weegie bit refer to Glasgow...I was in Aberdeen for 18yrs.and yes it was cold
  • Options
    Questions for Derek category is a great idea.

Must admit that until AFKA's post I was extremely doubful the "real" Derek Chappell would post and make youreslf available on a fans forum.

I can't imagine any other club's having this happen.

Says a lot for the club, this message board and you Derek as a Director and a fan that you're prepared to take time out from what must be a hugely busy schedule to come on here.

This is what supporting Charlton is all about!
  • Options
    There has been speculation including I understand in the FT, that Zabeel pulled out because the ruler of Dubai still wants to buy Liverpool and would have a problem of dual control if his sons company had purchased Charlton. Did you get any inkling of that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thecrazyaddick[/cite]I can't imagine any other club's having this happen.

I agree.
  • Options
    Anymore kind comments and I will think I am not the Chairman anymore!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Statement made, indicated reasons for pulling out. Nothing to add.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Derek Chappell[/cite]Statement made, indicated reasons for pulling out. Nothing to add.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Derek good to have you on here again.My main worry is that at the end of this season after losing the parachute payments,that the club could be forced to go into administration like many others rlegated from the premiership after spending a sustained period in there.Can you re-assure us fans this will not happen as with our current squad i believe this would almost certainly result in relegation.
  • Options
    looks like derek didn't like that question,he was logged on when i posted it but now gone.BIT SCARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Derek,

What's your score prediction for tomorrow night?

I believe we're due an away win. I'm also due an away win...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WOW
    My view of DC is transformed. Although a site like this does not encompass the whole range of Charlton Support, to read this, and take the trouble to answer a few points, is excellent.
    I would like to think that site users respect that DC can't be here all the time, or answer every point brought up, but on matters that REALLY mean something (and for me that simply means the continued existence of CAFC at the Valley), I hope he will still contribute. I also hope site users are friendly and respectful, and don't use this opportunity for petty point scoring.
    Thank you Mr Chappell.
  • Options
    you sure this ain't Rothko playing silly buggers now he's a big cheese hahaha just kidding

Welcome aboard Mr Chappell - amazed you have taken the time to come on here and we ALL should be truly thankful you have -

regards

Ledge
  • Options
    I have to say on my blog I have been fairly critical of Derek and Steve Waggott because I felt that the special relationship between board and fans that began with Alwyn & Norris and was wonderfully continued by Simons, Murray and Varney was disappearing at a time when we needed it most. But great credit for coming on here Derek, you will find a fine cross section of (some ;-D) upstanding Addicks from around the world that are each devoted to our little club from SE7.

I have a question. I was wondering that you coming on CL and David Sumners recently taking part in some debate on Glynne Jones email list, if this was a conscious effort by the board to build better relations with the fans following the end of Zabeel's interest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Derek, many thanks for signing up and making yourself known and approachable. Its much appreciated by all that you are trying to make yourself visable.

However, having questions directed about concourse beers and other periphery topics sadly won't be productive, will bore and waste your time, and waste any positive aspects we may gain from this relationship.

Please don't feel you have to respond to evry inane topic we generate on this site, the fact you are making yourself open and approachable is greatly appreciated.

If we could generate a system whereby our users questions that are relating to the top level of our club are filtered down to a few pertinent ones every few weeks, would you be happy for me to put those to you ?

thanks again
    AFKA

Very true Smudge....but what about the pot-holes?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite].

What did you say stevey boy -
  • Options
    see me question re administration,he was on here when i posted it,but logged off fairly sharpish
  • Options
    that was posted yesterday - the post i highlighted was half hour ago.

Have admin deleted that one
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Derek Chappell[/cite]Weegie Addick...yeah that sounds like a good idea.

Does the Weegie bit refer to Glasgow...I was in Aberdeen for 18yrs.and yes it was cold

Assuming you do come back on here, Derek (if Steve hasn't scared you off!), yes, it does refer to Glasgow. Moved here in the early 1990s after marrying an Irishman, but only on condition that I could still get back to Charlton once a month or so. Also slowly managed to convert him from Spurs to CAFC, and we are both still season ticket holders in North Upper.

It is great to have you on here, and really appreciate your openness in answers where possible. At the same time, certainly realise that there will be some things you really can't comment on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]that was posted yesterday - the post i highlighted was half hour ago.

Have admin deleted that one

no just bumped the thread for anyone not around last night.