Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So, we have to win a minimum 9 games still to stay up.

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
But where will the 9 come from ?

Home:

Blackburn
Boro
Fulham
Villa
West Ham
Newcastle
Wigan
Reading
Sheff U

are all 'potential' wins alone.

we also have Liverpool and Spurs, who can be debatable on the road. Only Chelsea is a write-off to me.

Away

Sheff U
Boro
Watford
Pompey
Bolton
Man City
Blackburn
Everton

They are hardly dread fixtures ?

Only really write off L'pool and Arsenal.

Can others see positives there ? I can't see us winning any games at present, but once we do, these fixtures won't look half as daunting.

Comments

• yes but if, heaven forbid, we lost at Sheff Utd then that 7 point gap might already be a bridge too far.
  • I think the key is to win home games, I cant believe some peoples reaction to when we dont win away from home. We have no right to win away from home. ie the Reading Game, people were saying we should win it, and the same on saturday. I dont expect anything from any way games. WE MUST WIN AT HOME!
  • The good news is that we've already got one of the games against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal out the way, even if we did lose them. That leaves a fixture list biased towards a lot of mid-table and below teams, on our day any of those teams are beatable.
  • Unfortunately I just can't see them coming mate.
  • nor can i to be honest, but i'm a miserable sod at the moment.
  • Do what I do - go and get battered.

Still feel hammered from last night - which is some doing even by my standards!
  • Dont worry gents, a draw against Sheff Utd followed by a win against Blackburn. Spurs will beat us but then we'll go and turn Liverpool over, no problem. We'll be rocking!
  • Even if that comes true - would it get us out of the bottom three???
  • Not sure, we'll just have to beat Sheff Utd as well then :o)
  • That's ok then - was getting worried for a moment there!
  • Sponsored links:

• doods, we are fooooked. Make no mistakes.
  • [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]doods, we are fooooked. Make no mistakes.

Absolutely agree. It is going to be the Championship next season I am afraid. A sad way for our spell at the top to come to an end. Unless we get some miracle results before the New Year I think we have to sell D.Bent & the others ASAP to get us ready for next year.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]doods, we are fooooked. Make no mistakes.

Absolutely agree. It is going to be the Championship next season I am afraid. A sad way for our spell at the top to come to an end. Unless we get some miracle results before the New Year I think we have to sell D.Bent & the others ASAP to get us ready for next year.

I was more pessimistic before Saturday than I am now. It is still in our own hands and I think Les Reed is a good enough coach and sufficiently tactically astute to make a decent attempt at getting us out of it. Everton are no mugs and we had them rattled for the last 20 minutes or so.

If we can reproduce anything like that on saturday then we should come back with something and maybe with a bit more confidence and a positive crowd we can win on Tuesday against Blackburn.

As others have said if we win our home games we will go close. Man Utd and Arsenal have been played already so we only have Chelsea as a completely unwinnable home game.

If we DO go down it will have taken Dowie just 12 Premiership matches to undo 15 years hard graft by the board and Curbs.

It just shows the fragile line between failure and relative success in football.
  • Ah Len, I totally admire your optimism. And from someone who's clearly been going down there for a while now.
    Well done mate, well done. I just wish I could agree with you on this one. It may sound silly, but I fear we've already gone. It's too much of an ask to pull it around now.
  • I must admit to not being very happy these past few weeks, even down right miserable, but to declare us all but down with so many games to play, I just can't believe it. Things change so quickly in football and whilst it's not always easy to see where the next points are coming from when you're rooted to the bottom, surely whilst there are games to play, we must approach them one at a time looking to get points from each?

I can believe people are down and miserable. But I can't believe people are giving up and accepting relegation! First taste of miserable failure in a long time are we've all gone doolaly! Retreat I hear you call. Run for the hills.

Where is you're spirit?

In my mind, we can't criticise the players for a lack of fight when we're giving up the moment our backs are to the wall. If you give up now, then you give up on the right to moan about what's going wrong.

As mere supporters, we can't kick the ball on the pitch come Saturday (Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night, or whenever it is we're now playing) but we can do something, even if that something is merely making it known that we'll fight and believe till the end.

Or is this one of those ploys where we all say how we won't ever win again just to tempt the heavens above into proving us so mortally wrong and oh so insignificant? If so, then no, I don't think we'll win again ;-)
  • edited November 2006
    len. a cahill and johnson less everton all season would be relegation fodder, and we should be beating them at home.
  • edited November 2006
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you.

Things though have obviously not been normal behind the scenes and it was only the second game for Les and his first full week with the players.

We started badly, Mc Fadden was excellent for 20 minutes or so, but gradually gained in confidence. Hopefully we can build on that.
  • The next 2 games for me is 4 points absolute minimum. The 3 games after that: Tottenham away, liverpool at home and Boro away i can't see us getting much from.
  • Colonel Lookout,

consider myself revigorated and ready for battle, SIR !

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I must admit to not being very happy these past few weeks, even down right miserable, but to declare us all but down with so many games to play, I just can't believe it. Things change so quickly in football and whilst it's not always easy to see where the next points are coming from when you're rooted to the bottom, surely whilst there are games to play, we must approach them one at a time looking to get points from each?

I can believe people are down and miserable. But I can't believe people are giving up and accepting relegation! First taste of miserable failure in a long time are we've all gone doolaly! Retreat I hear you call. Run for the hills.

Where is you're spirit?)

LookOut - I really admire those who can be so positive. Unfortunately I am too much of a realist. Some may call me a pessimist but I honestly believe that, looking at the facts, we are not going to survive this season.

What facts? Well, the fact that we have not won an away game for more than a year, the fact that nobody who has been bottom of the Premiership at the end of November has ever survived, the fact that the bookies rarely get it wrong (and we are long odds on to get relegated), the fact that we have a brand new inexperienced manager, the fact that there is/has been a serious level of unrest at the club in recent months, the fact that we have won only one of our last eleven Premiership games, the fact that we have already spent a large part of next season's transfer budget (meaning that there will be very little to spend in January) and the fact that we have a serious lack of Premiership quality in our squad. OK, the last one is my opinion rather than a fact.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proved wrong and I will support the team with everything that I have, always and forever (to quote one of my favourite songs from the 70s). I love my team and they are a major part of my life. However, if you are not realistic about the situation we are in then you are only going to be more disappointed when the inevitable happens.

Come on you reds!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    I can see where you are coming from, Pete, but there really is no point in continuing if we don't believe we can get out of this mess. While there's still something to play for, I say build on the positives and fight your way forward a game at a time.

You say it's not pessimism but realism. I don't think so. You've listed a few reasons to justify your take on reality, but I could just as easily put forward a set of reasonable counter arguments. None of us can cut through all of the crud to accurately guage the state of the Club and the team in this turmultous time. And, in truth, no one knows what is in store. Given that, I'd rather the Club, team and supporters fight for every opportunity they get from here on in to ensure our Premiership survival.

People do great things when they don't accept the prevailing and accepted view that others have of them and what they can accomplish. So, I don't care about the bookies and the media or anyother onlooking bystander.

And finally, football is never as straight forward as it appears on paper, so whilst looking ahead at the fixtures can be helpful, it's certainly not the most accurate guage of a team's destiny.
  • LookOut, lets agree to disagree and concentrate on getting behind the team for the rest of the season.
  • good argument, both sides there.

what i will add is there is always a side who's fans think they are doomed, yet always claw out of it. It was Pompey last year, it could be us this one.
  • Come on chaps have some faith!
  • I am with Lookout on this. Whilst we are certainly not a good team, there is enough quality and experience in the players we do have to get us out of this mess. The big difference this year is lack of confidence. I will put faith in Les and hope we can get some results before Christmas. We definitely need to win one of the next two games and 4 or 6 points would be fantastic - I am an optimist ;-) If we are adrift by January, I fear D Bent will go and then I will start to panic (but I would still rather be relegated with Les than Dowie). Until then, however, let's keep the faith. If we don't, no other bugger will.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite] what i will add is there is always a side who's fans think they are doomed, yet always claw out of it. It was Pompey last year, it could be us this one.

never seen us as a "glass half empty" bunch of fans.

Get the Valley back, Target 10000 etc

I hope this season doesn't prove me wrong- i genuinely believe in our board and that we have better players than at least 5 of the teams in our league.

I do, however, believe that Saturday is a must win game-
  • @RedPete: Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a go at you personally. Just trying my best to re-invigorate the Red Army!
  • FAO Red Pete & LoOkOut

The fact about the team bottom in november always going down isn't true. I don't have the stats, but other always trotted out stat is that the team bottom at Christmas always goes down. Pompey proved that one wrong last year, and when Ipswich went down, yes they were bottom at Christmas, but they actually pulled themselves out of the bottom three then relaxed and tumbled back in. So it's not impossible to survive when bottom. Personally I think Watford will be bottom at Christmas with us (if we beat Shef Utd Saturday) third or fourth from bottom.
  • I think its a big ask sure BUT all we need is a run 2 wins and a drw and we will roar up the league as curbs always said back to back wins in the prem is massive.... we just need to keep the work rate and attitude up within the camp and give EVERYTHING and who knows..... you NEVER know.....

Keep the faith .....
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: randy_andy[/cite]FAO Red Pete & LoOkOut

The fact about the team bottom in november always going down isn't true. I don't have the stats, but other always trotted out stat is that the team bottom at Christmas always goes down. Pompey proved that one wrong last year, and when Ipswich went down, yes they were bottom at Christmas, but they actually pulled themselves out of the bottom three then relaxed and tumbled back in. So it's not impossible to survive when bottom. Personally I think Watford will be bottom at Christmas with us (if we beat Shef Utd Saturday) third or fourth from bottom.

Sorry but Pompey were not bottom at Xmas. The only team to stay up when bottom at Xmas was West Brom the season before last.