Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So, we have to win a minimum 9 games still to stay up.

2»

Comments

• Options
    We won't be bottom at Christmas, I think a run is around the corner, we'll get a result against Sheffield United, Blackburn we'll beat, Spurs is a pain, and Liverpool are shit on the road, and lack any quality going forward.

3 win out of the next 4 is not beyond the team we have
  • Options
    I'm with Rothko on this - we might not scape the bottom three for a while but we should close the gap AND climb above Watford as we're only one goal behind them. If we get a couple of results then I trust the board will find some cash to strengthen midfield and up-front. We're much better than we were in the first 7 games and starting to crate around 15 chances a game according to the papers.

As to the stats about being bottom at x-mas I don't think it's relevant - what we need is an away win / back to back wins
  • Options
    agreed SR, we desperately need a 3 wins in five type of run, we have the perfect set of fixtures coming up if we want to achieve that.
  • Options
    I so desperately want to sign up for this - honestly I do.
    Thing is, if you look at the last 7 fixtures we've had then you realise that they were perfect for that type of run too!
    Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    But we havent looked like beating anyone comfortably for 7 months.

Remember last year when we had a little wobble around this time of the season, then we played Sunderland and ground out a routine 2-0 win. This side doesnt look capable of a routine 2-0 win and until key areas are addressed then that will continue.

Man City was like a cup game in the end and we were very very fortunate, Bolton was a missed penalty from a defeat. Watford, Everton, Villa, Fulham, Wigan all should have brought more points than they did.

We all know that teams like Blackburn, Boro, Sheff Utd etc are winnable but who really, hand on heart thinks we will get more than a point a game average in December?

Sorry for the downer :(
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: randy_andy[/cite]FAO Red Pete & LoOkOut

The fact about the team bottom in november always going down isn't true. I don't have the stats, but other always trotted out stat is that the team bottom at Christmas always goes down. Pompey proved that one wrong last year, and when Ipswich went down, yes they were bottom at Christmas, but they actually pulled themselves out of the bottom three then relaxed and tumbled back in. So it's not impossible to survive when bottom. Personally I think Watford will be bottom at Christmas with us (if we beat Shef Utd Saturday) third or fourth from bottom.

Sorry but Pompey were not bottom at Xmas. The only team to stay up when bottom at Xmas was West Brom the season before last.

Oops, knew it was someone recently. But pompey looked down and out in Jan and survived, same as West Brom and Bradford a few years back. It is possible, even if we don't get off the bottom this month. I think if we're bottom come new years day then we are down, unless we get some truely inspirational signings in Jan, which I can't see happening.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Len, while I agree with most of what you have said, if you think that our problems started with the appointment of Ian Dowie that I think you must be wearing a pair of very strong Curbs tinted spectacles.

We'd been on a downward spiral long before Dowie took over and both Curbs and the Board have to shoulder some of the blame for that.
  • Options
    Our problems started with the exit of Parker swiftly followed by Di Canio and Jensen - anyone see him the other night for Fulham! I know his deal is running down so any chance of getting him back in? I think we are all hoping for a lot more than a point a game in December and those on here and netaddicks who can't or won't see it are either burnt out or haven't realised the basic statistic I mentioned higher up that we are creating 15 chances a game instead of 8-10 last year. There's only two ways it can go so let's enjoy the ride rather than talk about travelling to Championship away games etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anybody STILL think that we are going to get out of this mess?
  • Options
    I honestly do, and will gladly dig out this thread in May and shove it under everyone's nose.....

And no, I haven't touched a drop.... yet!