Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs on MOTD

2»

Comments

• Options
    remember Marcus Bent???!!! Curbs had run stale and needed to move on, not meant as ingratitude, he is a charlton legend in my view
  • Options
    Welcome Mancaddick. There have been players sold on the other hand players that he has brought in like Varney and Gray aren't pulling up trees.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]remember Marcus Bent???!!! Curbs had run stale and needed to move on, not meant as ingratitude, he is a charlton legend in my view

Marcus Bent was one of Curbs' few poor buys but people forget the context in which we bought him.

We were playing an effective (but according to some dull and unentertaining) 4-5-1 when the grossly underrated Shaun Bartlett, the lynchpin of the system in many ways, picked up a long term injury. Curbishley was thus confronted with the urgent need to obtain a replacement in the January window hence Bent M at an inflated price.

If one remebers the full circumstances the decision becomes more understandable.
  • Options
    and how much would you expect to pay as a premier side for an established striker anyway?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]remember Marcus Bent???!!! Curbs had run stale and needed to move on, not meant as ingratitude, he is a charlton legend in my view

Marcus Bent was one of Curbs' few poor buys but people forget the context in which we bought him.

We were playing an effective (but according to some dull and unentertaining) 4-5-1 when the grossly underrated Shaun Bartlett, the lynchpin of the system in many ways, picked up a long term injury. Curbishley was thus confronted with the urgent need to obtain a replacement in the January window hence Bent M at an inflated price.

If one remebers the full circumstances the decision becomes more understandable.

Short memories eh....:o) I do think that Curbs had decided enough was enough though, indeed I reckon he was contemplating going at the end of the previous season, after we had been thrashed by Man U at home. My guess is that Murray geed him up, they signed Darren Bent, and he decided to give it another go. Things with Murphy and Smertin went sour and he decided finally to go. I heard that he refused to let Murphy go and wanted him to "rot" in the reserves. I suspect that in the end Murray persuaded him to sell. Marcus Bent was purchased late in the January window if I remember rightly and most thought it was a decent purchase, especially when he scored against Chelsea. He then was injured for some while and the rest is history.
  • Options
    I always hated the "he has taken us as far as he can" arguement. I think he was bored and he and his squad was going stale, even if he had not left I think we would have still continued our slow slide. Problem is we gave the money to a crazy man who bought garbage and we are still paying the price. If Curbs had stayed we might have gone down anyway but i very much doubt we would be where we are now!
  • Options
    I wasn't pleased with what that Brummie tosser Chiles (I used to like him until last night) said to Curbs, and I don't think Curbs was happy either.

However, the fact that he didn't say no I thought was intriguing.

Some people still give him grief - to all of you, I thought you were tossers for doing it then, and I think you are tossers for doing it now.

Curbs = CAFC legend.
  • Options
    Bigstemarra - Why don't you tell us what you really think!

;-)
  • Options
    what bigstemarra said good shout...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I wasn't pleased with what that Brummie tosser Chiles (I used to like him until last night) said to Curbs, and I don't think Curbs was happy either.

However, the fact that he didn't say no I thought was intriguing.

Some people still give him grief - to all of you, I thought you were tossers for doing it then, and I think you are tossers for doing it now.

Curbs = CAFC legend.

Agree with all of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He could have categorically denied it. Chiles would have spoken to him before the programme. As I said earlier I wonder if he was lined up by Murray with Jabeel. Maybe he's still in the frame and they are still trying to get another investor lined up. It was rather intriguing how he answered though.
  • Options
    hmm, Curbs signings when he began to go stale

Marcus bent 2.5 mil!
    Bryan Hughes
    Francis Jeffers..

a somewhat chequered career in signings but better than pards? perhaps
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hmm, Curbs signings when he began to go stale

Marcus bent 2.5 mil!
    Bryan Hughes
    Francis Jeffers..

D

B
    e
    n
    t
  • Options
    who he, don't remember him..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hmm, Curbs signings when he began to go stale

Marcus bent 2.5 mil!
    Bryan Hughes
    Francis Jeffers..

Bryan Hughes is presently playing for a top half Premiership team:-) to be serious he came in on a Bosman as a utility midfielder, a poor mans Graham Stuart. Jeffers was a worthwhile gamble as he had done well for Everton previously. He scored two goals in a 3-0 win over Villa shortly after winning but because the bald scouser couldn't play in a 4-4-2 we had to go 4-5-1 to accommodate him which effectively froze Jeffers out.
  • Options
    how BH is playing in the Premier league now is a minor miracle... Jeffers career funnily enough has gone down hill so perhaps more due to the murphy's, rather than our former anfield dynamo. I notice you don't menion Big Bent..

:)

so what were his other signings of the later period, I've forgotten the others.
  • Options
    wenger paid £8m for jeffers,ferguson paid £29m for veron.

darren bent trumps anything anyway.
  • Options
    you can't play with one Darren bent, needs support, supply and defence.

:)

Of course Pards best signing is probably boughera?
  • Options
    I can't stand Chiles - smug - but hey give the bloke a break, he is supposed to be a journalist ffs. In such a situation if he didn't ask Curbs he wouldn't be doing his job.
  • Options
    bigstemarra - completely agree with you there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Paved paradise, put up the West Stand"

"But left the potholes in the Carpark".