Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ever played with/known a professional footballer?

Comments

• Options
    Played five-a-sides against Ian Baird (ex loads of teams including Leeds when we played them in the play-offs). Went on holiday with him and his family as I know his brother quite well. Also on the holiday was Ian lee (apparently a goalkeeper) and Denny Munday who were both ex-professionals I was told. Ians brother Darren was a pro at Torquay but left after a week cause he was homesick (he was only 16).

Oh and my youngest son and me mullered him for the Leeds play-off game.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Steve Finnan in his Welling youth player days...

Don't want to boast but nutmegged him, it's my claim to fame!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]I played for Penhill Standard with Mark Penfold and Richie Bowman (they were two years younger, shows how good they were). Anyone know if Penhill Standard still exist?

My brother played for them in the 70s I think, sadly he is not famous but was a stunning keeper
  • Options
    I used to go to school with Pat Van Den Hauwe (Birmingham, Spurs, Millwall). He never really stood out at as footballer then so obviously a late developer. Also Gary Micklewhite used to play for our Sunday side on the quiet in the late 70's.

My step-son is mates with Ben Thatcher and Jimmy Bullard and I've met them on a couple of occasions. Thatcher is actually quite a nice fella off the pitch.
  • Options
    NLA, did you go John Roan? My Mrs was in the saem class as Jermaine Wright. Gary Micklewhite still lives in Sidcup, my mate lives with one of his daughters.
  • Options
    I played for West Wickham and we used to come up against Melwood quite a lot. Their centre forward was Clinton O Morrison. Good player but his mother had a mouth like a gutter!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]a good few -- Cascarino when he played for crockenhill.

i played for them. and swanley furness. wonder if that place is still going. was in trouble 8 or so years ago when i was there.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Crockenhill are in Kent County Div 1 west now.
  • Options
    Charlie Revel was my footy teacher at Bexleyheath School, and played footy with Andy Townsend at Upton Road Primary School.......
  • Options
    Back in the day, I played for my local club against St Blazey in Cornwall - and their keeper was a 17 year old called Nigel Martyn, if you've ever heard of him?

I also played against Plymouth Argyle 3rd team a couple of times, who were then in the same league as our reserves.

They included a host of young players who made the fringes of the Argyle 1st team, and a couple of older 1st team squad players but after 20 years I can't be certain of their names - plus the experienced Republic of Ireland international centre half Gerry McElhinney, who was just feeling his way back from long term injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not played with but played against one of Mark Stein's brothers when I was at Uni during the 1995-98 season. Been told it was his older brother, Brian, who used to play for Luton. However, I hadn't heard of him at the time?!
  • Options
    i used to play with tony cascarinos son for the last few seasons and i used to go to school with charlton u18 Tamer Tuna for the last 6/7 years. I am good mates with both of them.
  • Options
    I've mentioned it on here before, but I went to school with Lee Power and played in the same U14's team as him.

He went on to become a football club chairman, succesful business man and racehorse owner. I post on here.
  • Options
    No mate Eaglesfield

Jermain was the year below me he was called Jermain french back then and had just signed school boy terms with millsmall, we used to knock about together around the Cardwell area of woolwich but then sort of driffted,
  • Options
    Ian Moore (Tranmere, Forest, WHU,Leeds, Burley + others), now back at Tranmere. He played for my Dad's team (Hayden) when his old man Ronnie Moore was at Charlton. As a boy he broke all goalscoring records. Ronnie, now in charge at Tranmere would come down to take training for my team & a regular visitor to our house. Top Guy.
    Also at the same time was Andy Roberts playing for Hayden, before Millwall, Palace and Wimbledon.
    Know people who have played with & against Jimmy Bullard & Glen Johnston .. if that counts !
  • Options
    I can think of three though somewhat different ones.....

I played in the same side as Graham French, the Luton Town player, soon after he was released from prison after a shooting incident. He was very useful and had a good shot (no pun, of course). I also played in the opposite goal to Charlton keeper Frank Reed - he was a veteran and I was a 'ringer' playing for our veterans team due to injury. The other 'pro' I played against was an Old Bealonian who was an ex-Great Train robber - his name escapes me, but I recall his tackles were fearsome.
  • Options
    Jimmy Steele, FA cup winner with Southampton in 1976, was temporary steward of the Lib club back in early 2001.

Held his FA cup winners medal once, top bloke he was, had many a drinking session with him, and he even helped coach our Sunday morning team a couple of times.

And a Rangers man to boot, so top bloke all round in my eyes.
  • Options
    I used to drink with the first David Campbell and have played cricket in the very dim and distant past against Les Berry, Steve Gritt and Colin Powell.

I also got to know a few Gillingham players some years back as their children attended the same primary school as mine.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Grew up kicking a ball about with Scotty Parker, he lived on the road off mine. He is a few years older than me but he'd always be round the park kicking about. Two very good mates and former team mates of mine played for the Ireland U21's (Ross Gaynor and Terry Masterson) in the last couple of years, they're both back in Ireland now and only Ross is still playing (Cobh Ramblers).
    Also know Danny Granville of Chelsea, Leeds and Palace fame. He's best mates with a guy I work with and he's lovely feller been for a beer with him a few times.
    Just to add I usd to play against Chris Dickson a fair bit a few years back and always thought he was proper pony. How that kid has nicked a living of us I'll never know.
    Just thought, Gary O Neill used to go to Ravensbourne he was a big Millwall fan and was always pretty handy. Played alongside him a few times in muck about games. His sister used to hang about with me and my pals a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]
    Also at the same time was Andy Roberts playing for Hayden, before Millwall, Palace and Wimbledon.
    Know people who have played with & against Jimmy Bullard & Glen Johnston .. if that counts !

I used to play for Hayden..with Andy's brother Michael (good player too by the way). Remember going back to their place after a night out on the piss and we caught him and his Mrs doing the wild thing....oh how we laughed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two of my best mates played for Bournemouth a few years back, one of them then went on to Boston & Rushton n all...Now playing for a local side. Played with us in a pre-season friendly & completely took the piss.

Played against Le Tissier during his short stint @ Eastleigh, he was a different class too.
  • Options
    Gavin Peacock was in the year below me at Bexley Grammar - played with & against him dyring lunch times on the playing fields but nothing else.

He left for a year & came back when Keith Peacock went to America (America Tea men?) - don't think he remembers me though !!
  • Options
    Boston Tea Men ...... Keith Peacock, Paddy Powell & Lawrie Abrahams went out there about 1979
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Boston Tea Men ...... Keith Peacock, Paddy Powell & Lawrie Abrahams went out there about 1979

Pedantry's not an attractive trait but I think it was the New England Tea Men that we some sort of tie up with back then. Flash went there as well but I think Peacock has a spell with someone else not them?
  • Options
    Ben Thatcher played in the same school team as me.

Sounds like I'm pandering to the stereotype, but he was a hard and unpleasant player then.

Remember him booting me up in the air during one training session, two feet over the ball job.

He was a solid, if unspectacular, defender back then though and has gone on to millions out of it. Fair play to him
  • Options
    We know one or two.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]
    Know people who have played with & against Jimmy Bullard & Glen Johnston .. if that counts ![/cite]
    [cite]

I used to play for Hayden..with Andy's brother Michael (good player too by the way). Remember going back to their place after a night out on the piss and we caught him and his Mrs doing the wild thing....oh how we laughed[/cite]

My boy currently plays for Hayden and living just around the corner from the club saw a lot of Super Clive and Deano back in the day. In fact Clive's lad Joe also used to play for the club before they moved back up north.

I remember a dad's challenge match where Clive turned out against the team I played for and as luck would have it I got the job of (trying) to mark him. This was after he had retired and he only played 20 mins.

Now my body says (now and then) that I'm an old git but my heart and brain still think I am 18 and I promise just the memory of chasing Sir Clive for 20 minutes after he had been forced to give the game up makes my legs cramp up even now. At one point he turned me so feckin' fast I felt like a corkscrew.

Also have met both Casc' and Andy Townsend socially many times together with a certain Mr Mehmet but that is another very drunken story.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Boston Tea Men ...... Keith Peacock, Paddy Powell & Lawrie Abrahams went out there about 1979

Pedantry's not an attractive trait but I think it was the New England Tea Men that we some sort of tie up with back then. Flash went there as well but I think Peacock has a spell with someone else not them?

wasn't it the tampa bay rowdies?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]

You're absolutely right Les Addicks ..... New England Tea Men - but they played in Boston.

I did think of Flanagan but couldn't remember if he was still with us or not, at the time.
  • Options
    Downed a few pints with Pat Van Den Hauwe (I know, I know) not long after the Newton elbow at the Valley, he was living with his parents at the time on the Ferrier after he split with Mandy Smith, we had some mutual friends in the Wat Tyler.