Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If there was a general election tomorrow...

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Ah, addresses that then :-)
    I suspect that it would be probably not produce a clear parliamentary majority

OK, but it would be more representational and could lead to a move bi-partisan approach to policy making.

Have the clear majorities under Thatcher and then under Blair/Brown meant more effective and listening Govt or have the large majorities, often out of line with the actual voting, lead to extreme and unaccountable govts?
  • Options
    hmmm,

"only post once".

D'oh !
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tory - I must agree that Tony Blair did a good job, and have the upmost respect for the bloke, but at what cost? The highest rate of Govt borrowing since WWII, the fiascos over the pension funds and the bullion sell off. Money thrown into public sector projects and utterly wasted. Layer upon layer of money sapping bureaucracy….

As a party I do think they have the best interests of the common people and the country at heart, I just think their idea of financial prudence is naive at best and they just don't have the balls to make tough, unpopular decisions, preferring to spin it in some way or just dip back into the perceived bottomless debt fund, rather than be seen as having to come to the people and be honest enough to say that tough times are ahead and we all need to contribute.

It’s a bit like paying for all your outgoings on credit-cards, whilst spunking your income. Great times, parties, foreign holidays, nice clothes, meals out etc will be had for a few years before the bailiffs come knocking……Then you'll have to reign in your spending, cut down on luxuries and perhaps even look at new ways to earn more. All to pay off your own stupidity. Not nice but it has to be done.
  • Options
    Blair mistake was giving Brown pretty much total control over the finances of the country, but then Blair moment of genius was reading the signs and leaving that dour Scottish ***t the problems
  • Options
    Suprised Brown hasn't blamed the previous chancellor yet !

Oh.......right.............
  • Options
    None of the above. I think Brown is a decent man but he's taken over a party obsessed with spin that, due to the Iraq situation, i' d' never vote for and that seem to be fraying at the seams. He's also a classic do-er who has been promoted to leader where he's not best suited. Cameron strikes me as Blair II, polished smiles and voter friendly policies. Like or loathe thatcher (and for Ravenscraig, Pinochet and the Falklands i'm more of a loathe) she at least had the balls to do what she thought was right, which is what we are supposed to be paying these lying clowns for. If she'd not made tough choices we'd be a wreck by now. A lot of people disagreed with it, but tough decisions were made in order to progress us. If the masses had the information, mental capacity and analytical skills to make complex decisions they'd be running the effing country. They don't. That is why you need strong politicians who have the strength to make justifiable but unpopuloar decisions. As we lack this at the moment i won't bother to vote. God, i'm missing Thatch :-(

Good thread.made me think a bit.