Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Careers and Career Changes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Qualified as a pharmacist in 1983 and worked for Boots for 25 years in a variety of management roles, thought I had a job and final salary pension scheme for life until the wheels started to fall off at Boots, it was one thing fighting fires made all the more difficult by the lack of fire extinguishers, so started doing locum work, GP prescribing advice and post grad education tutor for pharmacists. Now own my own pharmacy next to a GP surgery since June 2006, own boss, own destiny no regrets

Lats...What's the best cure for Gout. I have been prescribed Allopurinal but all that seems to do is bring on an attack. Please help me, I'm desparate. The latest attack has lasted five weeks!

Stop drinking?
  • Options
    Do you get gout Valley? Well done mate - bloody painful but shows that you like, and can afford, the finer things in life :-) Kronie suffers from it badly.

Latimer - whilst you are holding surgery, I have a headache would you reccomend paraceutimol or aspirin. Also my dog has worms and would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks
  • Options
    Might be a sticky here: Dr Lats Surgery
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]Left school after doing "O" levels, joined The Stock Exchange in the Traded Options department.Thenjoined a Stockbrokers for a couple of years and when it went tits up rejoined the Stock Exchange. Our department was taking over by LIFFE in 1992. Been considering a change, maybe in compliance. If anyone has any contacts, give me a shout.[/quote]

what Euronext Liffe?[/quote]

Yep, EuronextLiffe..
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    V McM, are you on any other medicines that cause gout, eg bendroflumethiazide. Indomethacin is used (anti inflammatory) as is colchicine if you have a nasty acute attack. With the latter you take it until you are sick or have diarrhoea up to a max of 12! Have a look at this fact sheet , also with allopurinol it is important to add a couple of pints of WATER to you're daily fluid intake to gain the most benefit. Both these drugs need a prescription

http://www.prodigy.nhs.uk/patient_information/pils/gout.htm

1905...I prefer Paracetamol easier on the the stomach, get a worm tablet for dogs with worms, had a lady in recently for a budgie with a cough I asked her if it had flu, she said no it sits on its perch all day, others come in and ask for Caroline and morphine, Benylin Expectorient the stuff I get asked
  • Options
    Valley,

I make myself drink a minimum of 3 or 4 pints of water a day.

Touchwood, my gout has more or less disappeared since I started doing that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]V McM, are you on any other medicines that cause gout, eg bendroflumethiazide.

Lats, thanks for the advice and the link. I take no other drugs apart from Diclafenic, which as you know is an anti-inflamatory. Thanks for the tip about the water. I am drinking a couple of extra pints per day. Perhaps I need to drink some more then request a transfer to another office which is nearer the loo!
  • Options
    "1905...I prefer Paracetamol easier on the the stomach, get a worm tablet for dogs with worms, had a lady in recently for a budgie with a cough I asked her if it had flu, she said no it sits on its perch all day, others come in and ask for Caroline and morphine, Benylin Expectorient the stuff I get asked"

Thanks Dr and Bertie says Woof!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]become a child minder, biggest racket going as far as I can see, particularl if you have kids already.

why do you see it a racket ? I know a child minder, its not an easy job in any way. dealing with 3-5 small children, you need a patience of a saint. I couldn't do it.
  • Options
    My Mrs was a childminder.

The wages are not great for the hours you do, particularly when the parents try and get "free" minding at either end of the working day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Economics degree as I had no idea what I wanted to do and so that sounded 'sensible'...decided I didn't want to ever wear a suit to work and that was about it...girlfriend at time (now Mrs CC) worked in TV and so I thought I should too....spent a couple of years in the music department at Channel 4, then a couple of years in the sales and promotions department at BMG Records (great times), then spent the last eleven or so years working in various PR companies - covered everything from IT to financial services. Am 36 and still no idea what I really want to do, but just happen to have a knack for getting things in the papers.
  • Options
    From school Economics and Social History degree, finished in 92 when there was no job market and big recession, worked in off licence trade for 3 years, which suited me start at 10 or 2 finish 11.

Last 10 years worked for a 2 contractors providing parking services for a large London Local Authority, now manage it started at the bottom, just wanted to stop drinking so much. Now have 215 staff clamping and removing issuing tickets as well as crossing children across the road.

Ketman at the age of 36 I have started a law degree, though looks like I am off to Australia before I finish that. I have found studying now easier than I last did (like 15 years ago).
  • Options
    Picwick, the guvnor of wheel clampers ???

Could be the first CL banning !!!!
  • Options
    It's what I do and what I am licensed to do! Don't normally tell people what I do, if asked I just say I work in local government. It normally ends the conversation and I don't have to listen to how they got this ticket or that ticket and were only gone 5 minutes or only 5 minutes late back to the car..... Because people find it rude when I tell them they deserved it, don't park illegally and on the whole you won't get a parking ticket..

Glad I got that off my chest!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Picwick, the guvnor of wheel clampers ???

Could be the first CL banning !!!!
    AFKA, don't be silly. Far better to have the head of clamping owe you a favour, than be narked with you cos you've banned them from their favourite forum. ;~)
  • Options
    Did a degree in Combined science followed by a PGCE, and spent three years as a secondary science teacher. Got fed up with the amount of time spent on crowd control and reinforcing petty rules, compared to actual teaching, so quit to do something different. Nearly got an amazing job as Education Officer for the British Museum, but that fell through, so took a pay cut to go on the graduate training programme in the IT department of a London council. Have been working there now for 8 years doing application support and database administration, and have generally really enjoyed it, but we've just been transferred out to a new company, so that may be about to change.
  • Options
    After quite a break, I was posting about the loss of CBW and and took a look at my ‘history’ on CL, back in the early days, so many ‘poster friends’ Stone, MOG, Len Glover, HugoZH, the late Addickted, Rock Spectacle, and many many more! I was one of the early Lifers

Regarding this post from 2006, I registered on 11th July 1983. Sold my pharmacy (60th highest dispensing volume in England!) in 2015 and on 11th July 2023 40 years to the day, left the register. Most recently (30 months) worked on the Covid vaccination programme. Now retired. 

Did not foresee that happening 17 years ago! And am now a granddad too! 

Still see faces from back in those days, most recently GuinnessAddick at Welling who remembered I wore Scott Parker Joma White Boots in the Demelza match at the Valley!

Happy days 😀