Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It is NOT Varneys fault

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Jesus, I think there is some anger that needs to be vented here and people can't think where to put it.

How the hell can everyone blame Varney for a game we lost 2-1 where he only played 28 mins.

I've seen the QPR goals and I'm telling you our defending was embarrasing, on one of the goals you can't even see a red shirt on the screen, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Waghorn doesn't get one chance to note in 62 mins, nor does Gray (90 mins), however a guy comes on, makes himself a chance by getting in the right position and suddenly he's lost us 3 points?

We need some perspective, we are rubbish, but it's not down to Varney, certainly not on his own.

Comments

• Options
    Goals change games. He always misses.

Blackstock didn't miss for QPR when our defending was bad. Varney did miss for us when their defending was bad.

That's the major difference.
  • Options
    Think most people aren't really blaming Varney for tonight but venting their frustration that he continues to miss sitters.
  • Options
    I know its not his fault alone, but think back to the open goal against Burnley in the last-minute and now tonight.

That's four points down the drain.

Strikers are judged on goals -end of, I know Dickson is raw but he is a finisher and we desperately need that element in the side.

Varney is a real trier, I'll give him that, but he has no composure in front of goal.
  • Options
    From the ground reserves a quote from someone there

Varney misses a sitter again, Waghorn played well hustled and bustled always looked lively and shouldnt have come off

Varney is not only to blame for tonight imo but for atleast 4 other games where he fails to find the net from places that are harder to miss from.

Varney is not a chumpionship player and needs to be dropped that is why he is coming in for stick from me how much longer must we persist with this fool
  • Options
    he missed a header against brissle from 4 yards and missed a chance against away against someone else cant think right now as well combine that with tonight and burnley that is 12 points we could have had and that is with out analalising every chance he gets and misses those are the glaring obvious ones
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]

How the hell can everyone blame Varney for a game we lost 2-1 where he only played 28 mins.

I refer the honorable gentleman to Suzi's post about blame culture and the need for a scapegoat.

But he *is* damaged goods and needs to go in January - if he'd just let that ball drop for one more second...

It kinda reflects our season, really. Parkinson's inherited what should be a football team, but instead, he's got a collection of brittle individuals. There was a lot of effort tonight, a lot of good passing and teamwork with great contributions to that from Semedo and Racon in particular. Also, you can see a gritty so-and-so like Gillespie is just the sort of man we've been missing.

But that can expose the weak links in the chain - Bouazza in the first half, for example, and Varney's shocker as a sub.

Very, very frustrating. But Varney's what we've got for now.
  • Options
    Evening all

I pop on here now and again to catch up with the latest news and gossip. This is my first post.

I go to all home and quite a lot of away games. I went tonight and thought I'd contribute.

We played well in patches tonight, but were let down by our strikers.

I'm sure everyone will agree that most teams only usually get 2 or 3 clear scoring opportunities, we had 2. Racon put away the first and Varney totally fluffed the second. This is the latest of many.

If he had taken this chance we would have had at least a point, we all know what confidence a goal gives a team.

So in some ways, it is Varney's fault.
  • Options
    How many chances did we have before Varney came on and how many after he came on?

From the crackly Radio Kent commentary I heard most of our chances were created when Varney was on including obviously the howler he missed so he is doing something right even if it is just his movement opening up gaps for others.

Having watched the goals on Sky Sportsnews Crainie was nowhere to be seen for the first and the challenge to Blackstock was pathetic. For the second it looked like Youga was about to try and go to the player who crossed but got called back. The cross came in and Primus and Hudson left it to each other.

I'd get Fortune back in at centre half and Crainie cannot play as a full back. If he plays at all (which is highly debatable imo) then it is as centre half alongside Fortune. My preference though is Hudson as they played well together before Jon's injury.
  • Options
    Anyone who has ever played as a striker, and I did for 15 years albeit at park level, knows just how Varney is feeling at the moment, but we are not a charity concern and he has no business being out there at the moment.

I made several misses in my inglorious career like his against Burnley and, let me tell you, when you are missing those chances then you sure as hell are not going to score from chances like the volley tonight.

Varney is clearly going through a stage where he cannot see how he is going to score another goal and, when a chance does arrive, is going to be thinking about how he might miss rather than score.

When its going well for you as a striker you take chances without even thinking about it but when you are going through a bad spell and your confidence is shot you almost dread getting a chance because you are so scared of missing.
  • Options
    Quite, Mr Ormiston.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]How many chances did we have before Varney came on and how many after he came on?

From the crackly Radio Kent commentary I heard most of our chances were created when Varney was on including obviously the howler he missed so he is doing something right even if it is just his movement opening up gaps for others.

Having watched the goals on Sky Sportsnews Crainie was nowhere to be seen for the first and the challenge to Blackstock was pathetic. For the second it looked like Youga was about to try and go to the player who crossed but got called back. The cross came in and Primus and Hudson left it to each other.

I'd get Fortune back in at centre half and Crainie cannot play as a full back. If he plays at all (which is highly debatable imo) then it is as centre half alongside Fortune. My preference though is Hudson as they played well together before Jon's injury.[/quote]

sorry len dont go there varney didn't create his opening it came from a mis hit shot,other than that he did feck all apart from give stupid free kicks away by jumpin 2 early all over the defenders back.
  • Options
    As I have stated in the 'agony' thred I started ....the lino DID give offside eventualy for Varneys missed effort, so it wouldn't have stood anyway.
  • Options
    everyone is allowed bad form but playing them through it is just wrong

how the hell are the others going to get in will we wait for him to score then drop him.

i have heard on here dicko is shit well let him miss that many chances and we can judge that until then how will we know
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]everyone is allowed bad form but playing them through it is just wrong

how the hell are the others going to get in will we wait for him to score then drop him.

i have heard on here dicko is shit well let him miss that many chances and we can judge that until then how will we know

I heard that Pardew didn't rate Dickson and that he was on his way to either Leeds or Peterborough-that was before Pardew went though!

Parky might see things differently.
  • Options
    Dicko gets into positions

He's a natural finisher

He scores regularly whenever he plays (gills and reseves)

If only be had a chance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]As I have stated in the 'agony' thred I started ....the lino DID give offside eventualy for Varneys missed effort, so it wouldn't have stood anyway.
    No he didn't!! He was flagging for a goal kick, which is why the QPR defenders were going mental at him. The ball came off a QPR defender, so he couldn't have been offside anyway. It was just another shocking miss.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He flagged for offside...it was right in front of me....though very late.
    As for him not being off side because he was palyed on...well that rule seems to have gone out the window mate, we had a huge thread about that a week or two back if you remember.
  • Options
    He has to go in Jan. Awful miss, ruined the night, despite us playing good stuff.

He just aint got the ability, 2.5 million?
  • Options
    The keeper took the kick from the 6 yard box. If offside had been given the kick would have been taken 5 or 6 yards further forward. I saw the referee telling the keeper it was a goal kick.
  • Options
    Gray's face said it all when Varney missed utter disbelief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to back Red_Pete up here, he was definitely onside. The first thing Varney did after missing was look at the Lino who didn't flag then then lino walked so he is line with the six yard box and flagged to signal a goal kick. Also saw the ref tell the keeper it was a goal kick. Shocking miss, but when it's going against you it really goes against you.
  • Options
    It happens you make one mistake and you are the scape goat for a few weeks
  • Options
    it matters not if he was onside or offside - he should have buried it then worried about the flag

No killer instinct
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]it matters not if he was onside or offside - he should have buried it then worried about the flag

No killer instinct

Very important point, I remember seeing Steve Bull score for Wolves against us at Upton Park once, Curbishley passed it across goal and Bull intercepted it on the edge of the box and just blasted it past Bolder first time, it was so clinical and showed that the best goalscorers don't hesitate to pull the trigger as soon as the target comes in sight - unlike Varney against Burnley.

We have had only two of those type of players in recent years Benty and Super Clive - Varney, Gray, Toddy and the rest don't even come close.
  • Options
    I rate Gray, he has some clever touches. As for Varney utter tripe he is a winger not a forward. if he had put away half the chances he has had all season then we would be mid table. He needs to be dropped and have a few reserve games to get back on track.

ZZ should be back soon and could do well in the middle of even up front. He can play the forward role and gets in position.
  • Options
    I reckon our best side could be....

Weaver
    Crainie - Hudson - Fortune - Basey
    Gillespie - Semedo - Racon - Bouazza
    Zheng
    Gray

Although I guess ZZ will be off in January so we can save on his wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I reckon our best side could be....

Weaver
    Crainie - Hudson - Fortune - Basey
    Gillespie - Semedo - Racon - Bouazza
    Zheng
    Gray

Although I guess ZZ will be off in January so we can save on his wages.

I make you right.
  • Options
    Let's remember guys - you HAVE to get in those positions to score - Varney did get into the position, Gray did not and Waghorn had his chance, he delayed and got blocked.

Ergo - seeing as Varney and Waghorn get into the positions I'd play them - they won't miss forever, but Gray is NOT getting into those positions, so how on earth will he score from them?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]It happens you make one mistake and you are the scape goat for a few weeks

But it isn't just "one mistake" is it, Varney has been fluffing his chances all season!!

I like him for the effort he puts in but the bottom line is he is supposed to be a striker and his job is to score goals, getting in a position to score means nothing if you can't finsh them off.

Varney should be nowhere near the first team at the moment. Give Dickson or Mcleod a chance and let Varney find some form with the reserves.
  • Options
    There is something in that, Clive.

Someone earlier this morning posted the suggestion that we shouldn't knock Andy Gray because they could only recall him missing one chance this season, and that hit the post.

Well you could play me up front and I can guarantee you that I would not miss a single chance all season long - basically, because I'd never make one or get in the right position to finish one!