Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It is NOT Varneys fault

2»

Comments

• Options
    LEEEEEEEEAAAAAAABBBBBUUUUUUURRRRNNNNNN
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Let's remember guys - you HAVE to get in those positions to score - Varney did get into the position, Gray did not and Waghorn had his chance, he delayed and got blocked.

Ergo - seeing as Varney and Waghorn get into the positions I'd play them - they won't miss forever, but Gray is NOT getting into those positions, so how on earth will he score from them?
    but gray holds the ball up well for the pass which he usually makes - he should not be playing!
  • Options
    Varney should never have been made 'the main man'. He scored about 8 goals in 23 starts last season, a decent, but not great record. Showed he can get a few goals, if he's played up front he probably needs to be alongside a regular goalscorer to take the pressure off.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    he needs to play in the reserves for a bit, and or out wide for the first 11...simple as
  • Options
    I feel sorry for varney, he has shown glimpses of quality (Goals against Coventry last season) but overall has dissapointed. When we signed him, I thought we had shelled out £2.5 mill on a promising young player, then I saw he had turned 25 (which I suppose means he is now 27). if you are not a prolific scorer at 24 /25 in the lower leagues then you are not going to make it. The fault rests with whoever agreed the fee, he was not a punt as was Dckson, Fleetwood and maybe McCleod but a striker who for the fee should have been proven. He wasn't and sadly unlikely to ever be.
  • Options
    People are saying that at least Varney's getting into those scoring positions. Well what's the bloody point when he doesn't score from them? He has really cost us a lot of points this season and as such I fully agree with Kap10. He has turned out to be an awful purchase.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't think he's an awful player, far from it. But I have to agree that at £2.5 million he was an awful purchase..
  • Options
    He's not an awful player, he's just a player that's become anxious, lost confidence and lost his way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]He's not an awful player, he's just a player that's become anxious, lost confidence and lost his way.

Maybe, maybe not but one thing is for sure the first team isn't the place for him to get over it. For his sake as much of the teams, he needs a stint in the reserves to sort himself out.
  • Options
    Agreed.
    It must be chinese torture for him to know that if he gets a chance, he's always gonna shut his eyes and just hope.

Lack of composure and anxiety attacks are not the ideal character trait of a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Lack of composure and anxiety attacks are not the ideal character trait of a striker.''

Oggy, I nearly laughed at that. Then I looked at the table and realised it was gallows humour and not really a subject for laughter !!!
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited November 2008
    He certainly isn't a bad player, the poor guy relies on confidence and when he has it, some may laugh, but he shows signs of Premiership qualities, Reading, Palace, Blackpool are just some examples, yes he may not have many but if we get behind him like we should the whole team I am sure he will come good, there's something about him that makes me think we must keep hold of him, loaning him will do him no good.

I still think he would be of more use on the wing, Gillespie didn't run at players enough and didn't really put any great balls in last night, Varney can do both, he may not be composed in front of goal, well maybe cause he aint a striker, we should try out 4-3-3, with,

M2AKill, Hudson, Primus, Basey

Semedo, Bailey, Racon

Varney, Bouazza on the wings

Gray just infront of the two wingers

I just dream of the day we will finally try this kind of attacking football, however our first area of improvement needs to be our defence, Youga and Cranie out, couldn't understand why M2AKil was dropped, think he is brilliant, and Cranie, well, just useless, oh and hats off to Weaver we got behind him and I thought he played pretty damn well last night!!!