Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Holloway

Comments

• Options
    that massive bellend would have us chasing top of this poxy league,proper manager
  • Options
    Just goes to show how wrong people can be.
  • Options
    im sure another bore or charlton legend is being lined up after parky
  • Options
    Would love Holloway here, not going to happen now but as well as being very funny- the guy is a really good manager- shown at all his clubs except Leicester where to be honest- not many managers are leaving there with much credibility thanks to Mandaric.

He is spot on about the Rooney situation aswell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]rooney rant

some interesting comments on this thread aswell looking back

The massive bellend has a point...

love the bloke. read his book and he's a proper football man. would welcome him here with open arms. tells it exactly how it is....in his own special way.
  • Options
    The job he has done at blackpool unbeliveable, by getting them to the premier league, even if they go down fantastic job.
    Before last year was allways seen as a joker rather than a good manager
    His style as a manger has changed a lot, since his plymouth side came to us on a Tuesday night and kicked lumps out of everyone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_1993[/cite]The job he has done at blackpool unbeliveable, by getting them to the premier league, even if they go down fantastic job.
    Before last year was allways seen as a joker rather than a good manager
    His style as a manger has changed a lot, since his plymouth side came to us on a Tuesday night and kicked lumps out of everyone

Well said - he's done a fantastic job for Blackpool.
  • Options
    I have a mate who's a Leicester fan and he used to have nothing but contempt for the bloke when he was managing them, said he was clueless and seemed to spend more time making daft comments on BBC sofas than sorting out the mess that was their team.

I guess that's how it is: if you're successful your comments are charming and you're a great bloke, but if the team is losing then you come across as an idiotic joker.
  • Options
    Holloway to the European Court of Justice: "Sort your life out"...

?
  • Options
    Absolute bloody west country Bobbins. Love 'it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers!
  • Options
    He can't really blame UEFA/FIFA for the Bosman situation, that issue was taken out of their control by the courts and UEFA/FIFA had to fall in line with the judgement of the court.

I can understand him going off on one about Rooney but its a bit harsh to blame FIFA/UEFA for the insatiable greed of our footballers.
  • Options
    Nice to read the standard dismissive comments of some regarding holloway as a manager 2 years ago and even some no's for billy davies ......
    And this was during our worst run in history under the wonderful "caretaker" manager parky
    We had a chance of staying up in the championship but that was thrown away as soon as we appointed parky full time (large stated this as did many others)
    A monumental blunder by our board , we were viable in the championship and where parky has taken us to in the intervening 2 years and now we're dying a slow death
    Bad times
    Thru the shit situation parky has created I still think the end of november is where we should be looking to reassess ......
  • Options
    that clip is a bit like watching david brent lose it
  • Options
    Came in last night from a stressful day to hear him shouting on sky sports news! Cheered me up no end.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Nice to read the standard dismissive comments of some regarding holloway as a manager 2 years ago and even some no's for billy davies ......
    And this was during our worst run in history under the wonderful "caretaker" manager parky
    We had a chance of staying up in the championship but that was thrown away as soon as we appointed parky full time (large stated this as did many others)
    A monumental blunder by our board , we were viable in the championship and where parky has taken us to in the intervening 2 years and now we're dying a slow death
    Bad times
    Thru the shit situation parky has created I still think the end of november is where we should be looking to reassess ......[/quote]

Blaming the relegation from the CCC on Parkinson is like blaming Barack Obama for the Global Financial Crisis.

When Parkinson took over we had one - that is ONE - fit centre-half at the club and that was the walking disaster known as Mark Hudson.

We had about 8 central midfielders but only one winger and an "attack" that consisted of a homesick and out of form Andy Gray, a short on confidence Luke Varney and I can't even remember what other dross we had up front at the time!

By all means blame Parky for our current team - he put this lot together - but the CCC relegation debacle had Pardew's grubby little prints all over it in the shape of an unbalanced and simply not good enough squad for that league.
  • Options
    So easy to say in hindsight that Holloway would've been a great appointment. He's joined the list of managers who have been absolutely shite at one club, but worked wonders at the next. Who is to say he wouldn't have performed like he did at Leicester with us?

He may have been 'no worse' than Parky, but that is hardly a ringing endorsement. Hence why I'm struggling to understand the logic of getting rid of Parky now, when some of the suggested alternatives are quite frankly laughable.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Nice to read the standard dismissive comments of some regarding holloway as a manager 2 years ago and even some no's for billy davies
    Understandable though isn't it? What would everyone have said if we had just made Holloway manager after he got relegated with Leicester? Unless he had a good start not many would have been happy.

Not sure we could have played the type of football he did at Blackpool with that awful squad either.

I did think we needed a fresh start at the time but from the boards point of view it's clear why they didn't go for Holloway (or Poyet as mentioned in other threads).

If Parky does go I don't think anyone can really predict which young coach or failed manager will be doing a great job for a club in two years time. Must be far more examples of managers that weren't convincing back then and still aren't now.
  • Options
    IT'S WRONG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Nice to read the standard dismissive comments of some regarding holloway as a manager 2 years ago and even some no's for billy davies
    Understandable though isn't it? What would everyone have said if we had just made Holloway manager after he got relegated with Leicester? Unless he had a good start not many would have been happy.

well pardew was trying to get west ham relegated in his last job before we took him on and parky was absolute turd with hull and part of the pardew shit and we took him on
    we know we're not that attractive and there is no such manager as the perfect one to come to us in our previous and past positions but holloway and davies have done well and we haven't
    yes they may have done crap at us but no one would have done as bad as parky at trying to keep us up he is as big a part of our current joke position as anyone ..... and the majority of our fans are clueless and apologetic of what is a long line of unbelievably disastrous decisions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to say I like Holloway, always have. He tells things as they are. Well done to Blackpool for taking him on.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

well pardew was trying to get west ham relegated in his last job before we took him on and parky was absolute turd with hull and part of the pardew shit and we took him on
    we know we're not that attractive and there is no such manager as the perfect one to come to us in our previous and past positions but holloway and davies have done well and we haven't
    yes they may have done crap at us but no one would have done as bad as parky at trying to keep us up he is as big a part of our current joke position as anyone ..... and the majority of our fans are clueless and apologetic of what is a long line of unbelievably disastrous decisions
    Of course some managers would have done as badly as Parky at keeping us up.

As I said we did need a new a manager from outside the club at the time. Plenty would have struggled though.

Calling fans apologetic for last season or this season I can understand.

It's nothing to do with being apologetic, the reality was that squad was awful. Not so much talent, but the balance.

You can't set up a solid and competitive midfield when most of them either won't or can't defend. Semedo was injured for much of the season and Holland was no ball winner.

Up front we had Andy Gray, who had problems outside of football but even at another club since leaving us he has done very little. Varney now in the Prem but got relegated with Sheff Wed last season. Pardew ruined his confidence, and was sold early on in Parky's time as manager. Todorov, too slow and unfit, not suited to a relegation battle.

Only having two centre backs was ridiculous.

Some managers would have done a bit better. This isn't about me defending Parky and the board. It's about the complete mess the club was in.

Average goalkeepers, poor and few defenders, an uncompetitive, unreliable midfield and nothing up front. The squad was not up to it, the players had no confidence, and we had several players we didn't need or who didn't want to be here.

Can anyone explain how we had even an average Championship side that season?
    a long line of unbelievably disastrous decisions
    Now I do agree with that.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He is telling absolutely the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
  • Options
    we continued to use elliot when weaver was available
    hudson we got the worst out of, varney we got the worst out of, we got the worst out of gray, ambrose as well
    that squad was not great but a better manager would have made a better fight of it imo
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we continued to use elliot when weaver was available
    hudson we got the worst out of, varney we got the worst out of, we got the worst out of gray, ambrose as well
    that squad was not great but a better manager would have made a better fight of it imo

I don't think many would disagree with your last comment oohaah. However, I agree with Scoham that we would've gone down anyway. That didn't make making Parky manager the correct (or sensible) decision though.

I was livid when we gave Parky the job full-time, as I believed there were better alternatives at the time.

However now I'm not sure there are many better (and realistic) alternatives that are out of work. If we can afford to poach someone off another club then of course it's a different story, but I'm assuming we can't. I am not comfortable at all with rolling the dice and hoping for the best. I know there are no guarantees in football, but giving the job to Martin Allen/Paolo Sousa/Paolo di Canio/Chris Powell etc etc just represents an almighty gamble and I'm hoping we can do a bit better than that.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with that squad as ooh ah said plent players gone on to better things so that cannot be a excuse,the jackass management is to blame and also plenty time to keep us up as well..............next
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]nothing wrong with that squad as ooh ah said plent players gone on to better things so that cannot be a excuse,the jackass management is to blame and also plenty time to keep us up as well..............next[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that squad? You must have had one boxing bout too many Mr. Nolly!!!

Two centre-halves - one of them the perenially crocked Jon Fortune - and reduced to playing pint-sized and declining midfielder Matt Holland at center-half? We even resorted to bringing in a 37 year-old crocked Linvoy Primus into the team at one point!

Parky got given that shower of shite and the only money he had was for Matt Spring!!!

You can blame PP all you like for the current squad but that CCC relegation squad was a Pardew special.
  • Options
    lol ormiston remember you at school showing me a mercury after i got accused by my dad of posing in the london schools..........still aint forgiven you browny
  • Options
    This rant is just the un-thought out babbling of someone with ADD.

I assume Holloway has never signed a player on a Bosman ?

Does he fully understand the difference between a human being and items of property ?

He's done a great job at Blackpool no denying, but I wish he'd give it a rest sometimes.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we continued to use elliot when weaver was available

I agree a better manager would have made a better fight of it. You originally said no manager would have done as bad as Parky, which is what I didn't agree with.
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]nothing wrong with that squad as ooh ah said plent players gone on to better things so that cannot be a excuse,the jackass management is to blame and also plenty time to keep us up as well..............next
    Nothing wrong?

Look at where the players are now, the ones that Parky had when he got the job as caretaker-

Elliot - League One
    Weaver - League One
    Randolph - Scottish Prem

Cranie - Championship - but who rated him?
    Hudson - Championship - agree we got the worst out of him, but that was down the rest of the team being so poor, we got a lot more out of Darren Ward
    Fortune - League One
    Youga - League One
    Basey - League Two
    Moutaouakil - No club

Shelvey - Prem
    Sam - Championship - but not everyone rates him, do they?
    Bailey - Championship
    Ambrose - Championship
    Wright - Championship - but has no doubt improved in the last 2 years with regular football
    Semedo - League One
    Racon - League One
    Zheng - China
    Holland - Retired - wouldn't have got in our team last season in League One

Gray - Championship - but not doing a great deal
    Todorov - Bulgaria - not the type for a relegation battle
    Dickson - Cyprus, and not even the top tier
    McLeod - League Two
    Waghorn - Championship - like Wright, is more experienced and a better player now

Two players that left that we could do nothing about-
    Bouazza - French top tier - Fulham took him back and loaned him to Birmingham
    Varney - Prem - Offered £1m, we needed the money at the time to pay off Pardew

Other options were the likes of Christensen (Norway), Sinclair (League Two - but only on trial) and Fleetwood (League Two) still at the club.