Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby want Varney

DA9DA9
edited November 2008 in General Charlton
In the currant bun today, Paul Jewell to complete deal today with Jay McEvely coming the other way???

Comments

• Options
    Hooray
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Jay McEveley....is he a centre back?

Just found out he's a left back.

Further question....can this deal go through immediately (assuming it's a goer that is)....there will also have to be a fee from Derby as it's not a straight swap, so that leaves some doubt as it's outside the transfer window?
    I readily admit I get confused nowadays as to what type of deals can go through at various times during the season!
  • Options
    whip-round for the train fare?
  • Options
    I would have thought for the deal for varney would be a loan deal the same as McEveley.

will do him the world of good and he can be someone elses problem if it works out we can have him back
  • Options
    Probably on a good wage as well, so it all helps.

You can see it coming though, Monday 15th Dec, Varney smashes in a hat trick in front of the SKY cameras (assuming he can play against us if he goes on loan)
  • Options
    Thankfully DA9 I don't think it's allowed.

All in all, if it does go through then its a good move.. Varns gets to go back up north and we can not worry about him for a bit, he scores a few goals and then either:

a) We recoup the money we paid for him
    b) He comes back and bangs them in for us

Or he goes up there, continues to miss guilt edge chances of course and we're in no worse off position.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Probably on a good wage as well, so it all helps.

You can see it coming though, Monday 15th Dec, Varney smashes in a hat trick in front of the SKY cameras (assuming he can play against us if he goes on loan)

Or on a more positive note (I'm a glass half full merchant DA9)...McEveley makes two superb goal line clearences and a superb last ditch tackle to thwart a Luke Varney hatrick and paves the way for Charlton to earn a well deserved victory!
    I'll get me coat!
  • Options
    I have a feeling that this will come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    If its only a loan deal then I don't think Varney can play against us, can he? And McEvely can't play against them either?

If we can get some dough for Varney, even if its only 700,000 then its better than nothing.

How we paid 2.5 million for a third-division player who had already had one mediocre season in the Champs when Crewe got relegated just defies belief.

I apologise again to those who told me that Pards had fecked it up with the Varney/McLeod deals. You were right and I was wrong.

F**king Pardew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I have a feeling that this will come back to haunt us.
    In what way CHG?

He is not scoring goals for us at the moment and doesnt look like he is going to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I have a feeling that this will come back to haunt us.
    In what way CHG?

He is not scoring goals for us at the moment and doesnt look like he is going to.

Two words CHRIS IWELUMO
  • Options
    Not sure what choice we have at the moment, as he doesn't look like getting on the scoresheet for us.

As has been said, if it's a loan then we can either bring him back with confidence restored, or sell him and at least recoup some of our money.
  • Options
    Four words in the case of Big Chris

Andy Reid

Michael Kightly
  • Options
    Thats not coming back to haunt us though. If he is not doing anything for us then what other choice do we have?
  • Options
    Is it not down to the two clubs involved to decide if he can play or not, not sure if there is a league ruling on it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Is it not down to the two clubs involved to decide if he can play or not, not sure if there is a league ruling on it?
    Pretty sure that is only the case if the players are in different leagues and the decision is made for cup games. I thought if players are loaned within the same league it is a rule they cannot play against their parent club. Will check.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    In what way CHG?

He is young and has scope for improvement and if he starts hitting the back of the net for Derby then the confidence will flood back and he will look more like the decent footballer that I reckon he is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Is it not down to the two clubs involved to decide if he can play or not, not sure if there is a league ruling on it?

correct, they can play against their own Club, no league rule against it, but clubs can veto it if they want.
  • Options
    Ah, its a premier league rule the one I spoke about. May indeed be different for CCC
  • Options
    If it is the case that there is no ban on loanees playing against their own club you'd still fancy Charlton and Derby to agree not to play the players concerned in that fixture.

Here's a trivia question: When was the last game involving Charlton that one of our players played against US on loan for another club who also had one of THEIR players playing for US on loan in the same match?

No leafing through stats books.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few words about McEveley from the Derby fans....

....Kelly Youga: mark II?

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=181&fid=16&sty=2&act=1&mid=2127681911
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Don't agree with letting Varney go.

He has been useless in front of goal, but we should be looking to get rid of McLeod/Dickson/Toddy before Varney imo.

Waghorn may only be here a month as well. Gray having personal issues.

Will leave us a little bit short up front.
  • Options
    If Varney goes does that mean we get to see Dicko or McClown get a chance now?

I doubt it - we'll probably get someone new in on loan. Andy Cole is available
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If Varney goes does that mean we get to see Dicko or McClown get a chance now?

I doubt it - we'll probably get someone new in on loan. Andy Cole is available

Andy Cole has retired.

Varney has had more than enough chances and just is not good enough at this level, his record at Championship level (including his season with Crewe) is about 16 goals in 70 starts and a further 20 subs appearances (90 apps total). Thats not that much better than Carlo or Nels - and nobody ever paid 2.5 million for them.
  • Options
    I can't believe he cost 2.5 mil!
  • Options
    It seems to suggest we're looking at a player plus cash deal??

If that's the case, I want at least £1.5m for Varney
  • Options
    I always felt McEverley was Konchesky-Lite when he was at Blackburn.

Anyone could do better than Youga at the moment.
  • Options
    this is a joke deal IMO

McEveley is two bob - ok varney has missed some sitters but he's still a good player and this is not a good bloody deal.
  • Options
    I'd happily pay for his train fare to Derby..hopefully he wouldn't miss the train though (-;
  • Options
    Varney is just one of many players completely devoid of confidence at the moment. If we got rid of every player lacking in confidence we wouldn't have many left. I think he is good enough, but should be played wide. Before he was dropped he was getting MOTM most weeks.
    As a striker his mistakes get highlighted and are of far greater importance than any other position other than that of goalkeeper.
    He needs time out until we start winning again. Bring him in to a winning confident team and we will see a different player.
    Bad mistake to let him go IMO.