Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby want Varney

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]this is a joke deal IMO

McEveley is two bob - ok varney has missed some sitters but he's still a good player and this is not a good bloody deal.
    I agree.
  • Options
    I'd happily see a new left back in but I dont want to see Varney go. I know he's not scoring at the moment but I still think that if you played him up front with dickson or mcloed for a decent run their pace would cause serious problems and I honestly believe he is going to start scoring goals very soon.
  • Options
    falconwood_1 CommentTime17 minutes ago  quote# 28
    I always felt McEverley was Konchesky-Lite when he was at Blackburn.
    Anyone could do better than Youga at the moment.

Like Grant Basey?

I really hope we don't sign JM and play Basey. These loans are ruining our club when we've got perfectly good home grown players
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If it is the case that there is no ban on loanees playing against their own club you'd still fancy Charlton and Derby to agree not to play the players concerned in that fixture.

Here's a trivia question: When was the last game involving Charlton that one of our players played against US on loan for another club who also had one of THEIR players playing for US on loan in the same match?

No leafing through stats books.....[/quote]

ALAN KERNAGAN AND COLIN WALSH (CHARLTON AND BORO AT CRAPHURST PARK)
  • Options
    Mixed on this one, we clearly need a new left back,whether McEveley is the answer I'm unsure. Varney is clearly void of any sort of confidence what so ever. However I'm still of the opinion that with confidence Varney will do damage to defences in this league. Maybe a few months away will do him good. Not I'd like to see this as a permanent deal unless we were getting a decent amount of cash in the package.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    QA wrote: "Varney is just one of many players completely devoid of confidence at the moment. If we got rid of every player lacking in confidence we wouldn't have many left. ''

LOL, Queensland.

Yes, I have it on good authority this was Pardew's master plan to keep us up that he never got to put into action because the board acted so prematurely. The whole team is short of confidence, so you send the entire squad out on loan for a month, while they find confidence/score/relearn how to defend elsewhere.

We ask the league for a month's sabbatical in December and rearrange all our fixtures for May! As the teams we are meant to be playing will by then all have gone on holiday to Majorca, with empty nets to shoot at we might even get a few goals, pick up some points and stay up.

I knew that Pardew was secretly a tactical genius all along...
  • Options
    Still think this is harsh on Varney - the service to our forwards this year has been crap - which means that if you only get one change a game and miss it you get criticised - have 4 or 5 chances and miss them all then that criticism is valid.

The midfield is the key to a successful side and this is where we have been worfully lacking all season - its also where Pardew had tinkered the most.

Our wingers have been ineffective and you can count the number of decent crosses into the box on one hand. In the middle we are unable to retain possession as we are hounded off the ball too easily and can't string a couple of passes together. With Semedo we finally have a composed ball winning player in the middle and hopefully Racon can provide the visionary passes which Holland and Bailey have been unable to deliver. If Bouazza or Gillespie can't deliver consistently then we should bring in another central midfielder (Shelvey or Wright - who can both pass it around and go forward) and play it narrower.
  • Options
    Dont see why we cannot play Basey at left back.
    He is certainly not left midfielder but his no thrills approach is what we need at the back.
    Also, I am feel that varney can do a job on the right wing.
    He runs all day and has a great work ethic, plus he can ping in a fairly decent cross.
    What does Sam offer that Varney cant in that role?
  • Options
    Firstly, crewe did a right number on us, 2.5m was a joke to start with but he can be a good player and will be a good player. i think it will be crazy to sell him. if we get a footballing manager in who dosnt resort to long ball or a confidence building manager ala big sam, Varney could go on to big things were just not playing the right style and his confidence his shot, needs someone to big him up and to be played week in week out. i will be dissapointed if we let him go.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]QA wrote: "Varney is just one of many players completely devoid of confidence at the moment. If we got rid of every player lacking in confidence we wouldn't have many left. ''

LOL, Queensland.

Yes, I have it on good authority this was Pardew's master plan to keep us up that he never got to put into action because the board acted so prematurely. The whole team is short of confidence, so you send the entire squad out on loan for a month, while they find confidence/score/relearn how to defend elsewhere.

We ask the league for a month's sabbatical in December and rearrange all our fixtures for May! As the teams we are meant to be playing will by then all have gone on holiday to Majorca, with empty nets to shoot at we might even get a few goals, pick up some points and stay up.

I knew that Pardew was secretly a tactical genius all along...[/quote]

Nigel, all these in's and out's, it's just getting ridiculous now. We're becoming like a pub team.
    Players losing form, losing confidence is just part and parcel of the game and it's up to the clubs management and supporters to get them through it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe Varns is homesick and doesn't want to be here any more?

If anything I'd play him on the wing - he's pretty useful there (damn sight better than Lloyd Sam)

Basey can play at LB and Mini-Konchesky can stay at Derby

Everyone's a winner
  • Options
    I think the problem with Basey is always going to be pace. Regardless of his other talents I don't think you can afford such a slow fullback in the modern game. That said the Derby fans' comments about McEverley were chilling. I thought he looked half decent at this level, but you have to take the view of people that watch him.

Varney, I feel, is a victim of circumstance. Normally a player goes off form for whatever reason: mental, family, fitness, luck and they get dropped, rebuild their confidence and come back. It's not really his fault that he kept getting played and got deeper and deeper into that hole. It's not like he's ever given less than a 100%, he's just not done well and played when others should have been given the chance.
  • Options
    But when you're in the sort of dogfight we're in, I think i'd prefer someone who has a long term future with Charlton and who has been at the club for years.

Gawd we're in a mess.
  • Options
    BENT AT Tottenham?
  • Options
    Northstandsteve - Well done that man. Kernaghan/Walsh was the right answer.

I think we lost 1-0, Bernie Slaven scored and the whole thing felt weird, especially as Walshie was my favourite player, I think he'd had a row with Lennie....