Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Luke Varney scapegoat nonsense

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
You, NSS and McMoist especially, can throw your I am not going to games back at me all you like but I don't understand this Varney hatred.

Yes I know he has missed some sitters and they are unforgivable to a certain extent but if there is one player that epitomises Charlton through and through it's Varney. You've all been banging on about it's time to support Charlton get behind the lads get behind Parky etc yet eveyone, virtually, is systematically driving Varney out of the club.

Lest we forget his performance against Reading at home to name but one.

Everyone knows in football confidence is a massive thing and when Varney, and the team by the way, have it we play well.

Bringing in a left back who can't get into a bloody Derby team for Varney amazes me it really does.

Shoot me down all you like but I like Varney think he's a good player probably needs to sit on the bench for a couple of games.

Comments

• Options
    All well and good Ledge, but what's the point of playing a player who aint doing his job? i.e scoring goals
  • Options
    Sitting on the bench is surely going to do his confidence the world of good?! As said in the loan thread I think it might do him a favour to get away for the while but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to offload him completely.
  • Options
    Do not dislike Varney at all & personally think it's a mistake to offload, but when you are actually at a game & a pivotal match & potentially season changing moment presents itself & is subsequently fluffed in style you have to understand peoples frustration, it's not the same watching it on telly the next day as you well know.
  • Options
    Agreed but if its not Varney it Gray, Youga, Weaver, Holland gone quite on him of late.

All rather boring
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Agreed but if its not Varney it Gray, Youga, Weaver, Holland gone quite on him of late.

All rather boring

Its a great point we've probably got less players who haven't been "scapegoats" than actually have in recent times.
  • Options
    Sign me up....I totally agree with everything you just said. We have a very good prospect at left-back who deserves an extended run....Basey, and I don't think we can afford to lose a first-team striker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite] but if there is one player that epitomises Charlton through and through it's Varney.

Misfiring ? :-)

Firstly, there is no 'hatred'. Varney's name was sung as he come on the pitch on Tuesday, and he got no real personal stick after his miss. People want him to do well.

But at the moment he is a jigsaw, he goes to pieces in the box. How long can you carry someone who its clearly not happening for. We need goals desperately, more than ever, and the fact we have a bloke at the moment who seems terrified of where the goal is isn't helping anyone.

I like Varney, and i think he is just going through a bad patch and will come good. But we have too many others going through bad patches that we haven't got the time to carry him like we did Jason Euell in his first few months here when he couldn't hit a barn door.

Varney will be one of our better earners as well you have to remember.
  • Options
    It is human nature to find a scapegoat.
    Varney is not banging them in but who is there to replace him?
    (We used to say the same about Euell to name but a few).
    If he goes I will be sad but find a suitable replacement if we can afford one.
  • Options
    In warm ups, Varney consistently misses the goal. He misses sitters in our games. For whatever reason this is happening we can't afford to play a striker who just can't get the ball in the net. A spell away to regain confidence would be good. In training, officially, he is said to regularly tuck the balls away, yet someone who watched a training session said he was unfit and misfiring. Don't know who to believe but the fact is, at the moment, he's costing us points. It may be true that at least he helps to create goal scoring opportunities but that's not much comfort when the ball flies over the net. I would love to see him at the Valley, but not in his present condition.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Do not dislike Varney at all & personally think it's a mistake to offload, but when you are actually at a game & a pivotal match & potentially season changing moment presents itself & is subsequently fluffed in style you have to understand peoples frustration, it's not the same watching it on telly the next day as you well know.[/quote]

That's not he's fault if he's thrown in at the deep end when his confidence is shot to pieces. It's the managers job to take him out and help him to rebuild his confidence in the reserves. This situation happens with strikers all the time.
    We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with all these desperation moves and are just digging a deeper and deeper hole to climb out of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]but if there is one player that epitomises Charlton through and through it's Varney.

Yeah I know that and I know we can't carry him but f*** me mcleod, gray, dickson (not given chances admittedly) are hardly top of the division goalscoring charts either.
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Do not dislike Varney at all & personally think it's a mistake to offload, but when you are actually at a game & a pivotal match & potentially season changing moment presents itself & is subsequently fluffed in style you have to understand peoples frustration, it's not the same watching it on telly the next day as you well know.

You can f*** off with your digs as well DJ man - I know full well it is not the same watching as being there -
  • Options
    that's not a dig, he's telling it as it is. When you are at a game and realised you've only had two chances, and you then throw away a gilt-edged one, you realise more how crucial a miss it was.
  • Options
    I don't think he's a scapegoat. You can't fault his work rate or effort but he couldn't finish his dinner.

I lay the blame for his lack of confidence squarely with Super Alan Pardew for pinning him down as his 'main man'.

Varney has probably missed more 1 on 1's than Lisbie (or godforbid Leaburn) every did.

That's scary.
  • Options
    And how many goals did Lisbie score last season? Just goes to show what confidence and the right management can achieve - Varney is not a bad player - he has lost confidence and it is the manager/coaches job to sort that out
  • Options
    Anyone else think that Crewe fans are talking about us in the same ways we were talking about Spurs re. Benty?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that's not a dig, he's telling it as it is. When you are at a game and realised you've only had two chances, and you then throw away a gilt-edged one, you realise more how crucial a miss it was.

ok fair enough I apologise if that is the case
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]but if there is one player that epitomises Charlton through and through it's Varney.

Yeah I know that and I know we can't carry him but f*** me mcleod, gray, dickson (not given chances admittedly) are hardly top of the division goalscoring charts either.

Is this a wind up? McLeod has only started 1 game and Dickson hasn't started any!
    I'd bet a lot of money that if either of those 2 had played the amount of games Varney has this season, they'd be our top scorer.
  • Options
    yeah fair enough on mcleod i forgto he's only played once, I did mention the same abou Dickson.

When McLeod got a little run last season we were the same with him, me included, and shot his confidence to pieces.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that's not a dig, he's telling it as it is. When you are at a game and realised you've only had two chances, and you then throw away a gilt-edged one, you realise more how crucial a miss it was.

Bit of Passion their Ledge no offence taken mate, although I do expect a free cab ride when you pass :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You, NSS and McMoist especially, can throw your I am not going to games back at me all you like but I don't understand this Varney hatred.

OUCH...that hurt. Was you an elephant in a previous life?

Mate, you need to see for yourself the lack of quality in that part of his game which is causing the frustration amongst the fans more than anything else. The boy has talent but he's letting himself down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Anyone else think that Crewe fans are talking about us in the same ways we were talking about Spurs re. Benty?

Best point so far.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Spurs fans thought Benty was rubbish even though he'd never had a run in the team; we all like Varney but he could not score in house of ill repute, despite had extended runs in the team that Benty never had at Spurs.

I'd love it obviously if he can still become a success with us but opn the other hand if he goes to Derby and does well I'd be happy to get most of our £2M back.
  • Options
    Ledge

You have got it well wrong, Yes he is being targeted for missing goals, these aint half chances they are gilt edged chances, chances taht should not be missed, The points i am advocating is how long do we persist, why are we not giving others a try from the start what message are you saying to your other strikers if they can not get a game becuse of Varney.

He needs to be dropped to the ressies where he can find the net with no pressure or packed off to get his eye in else where and then brough back.

We dont know if Dicko is shit, We dont know what Toddy can or can not do, we dont know what mcleod can do.

What we do know is Varney is shot to bits confidence wise (for no apparent reason) it went down hill after Reading at home,

Millsy is a wanka but the one thing he told me about Varney was that on a day to day basis the fella wants to pack football in as he has no self belief in his abilty at this level.

True or false i dont know the answer to that but from what i am witnessing it must be true as he could not hit a barn door.

We need to score goals as we keep looking like conceding goals not 1 or 2 but we need to score 3 or 4 to beat teams at the moment

swapping him for a left back to get rid of that big haired baffoon Youga at the moment makes perfect sense
  • Options
    I dont mind loaning him out but getting rid is the wrong option.

Maybe give him a spell in the ressies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

Bit of Passion their Ledge no offence taken mate, although I do expect a free cab ride when you pass :-)

LOL not long now mate about 3 more exams and I'm done.
  • Options
    No-one is scape goating Varney nor, as far as I can see getting on his back. He's a decent player that brings plenty to the team but unfortunetly he's not scoring goals which is what he's there for.

I agree with the post above. To a certain extent, it isn't his fault because he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at the moment, it's not the place form him to rediscover his form and confidence. Thats what reserve games are for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Ledge

You have got it well wrong, Yes he is being targeted for missing goals, these aint half chances they are gilt edged chances, chances taht should not be missed, The points i am advocating is how long do we persist, why are we not giving others a try from the start what message are you saying to your other strikers if they can not get a game becuse of Varney.

He needs to be dropped to the ressies where he can find the net with no pressure or packed off to get his eye in else where and then brough back.

We dont know if Dicko is shit, We dont know what Toddy can or can not do, we dont know what mcleod can do.

What we do know is Varney is shot to bits confidence wise (for no apparent reason) it went down hill after Reading at home,

Millsy is a wanka but the one thing he told me about Varney was that on a day to day basis the fella wants to pack football in as he has no self belief in his abilty at this level.

True or false i dont know the answer to that but from what i am witnessing it must be true as he could not hit a barn door.

We need to score goals as we keep looking like conceding goals not 1 or 2 but we need to score 3 or 4 to beat teams at the moment

swapping him for a left back to get rid of that big haired baffoon Youga at the moment makes perfect sense

You've agreed with all I've said in a round about way. I did say his misses are unforgiveable and I did say he probably needs taking out of the firing line but essentially he's still a good player.

I can't believe that from Mills sorry,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]No-one is scape goating Varney nor, as far as I can see getting on his back.

are you jesting about? from you who changed your name specifically!
  • Options
    Ledge, you know I share the same view on Luke as you, but it was a terrible miss on Tuesday, when he should of taken the net out.

He needs to remember how to score, maybe time in the stiffs will do it, hopefully not at Derby
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Park_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]No-one is scape goating Varney nor, as far as I can see getting on his back.

are you jesting about? from you who changed your name specifically!

LOL.

I did say at the time I felt a bit bad about it as I actually like Varney as a player but given some of his misses this season he was the stand out Lisbie replacement.