Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Luke Varney scapegoat nonsense

2»

Comments

• Options
    What Mills allegedly said about Varney does make a lot of sense when you think about it.

Varney never got into the professional game until he was 21 and even then (with all due respect) it was with Crewe who are more or less an academy club full of youngsters so he must struggle to believe that he is now at a "big" club with (I know it sound daft) Premiership ambitions.

Not only that, but his struggles with us so far, especially the hefty price tag, must be making him doubt his ability, its only natural for that to be the case.

FTR, I don't think people are scapegoating him or hate him like they did with Marcus Bent of Rommedahl but they just feel he is being given too many chances whilst others can't get a single start.
  • Options
    Think that final paragraph is spot on.
  • Options
    i dont hate him yet but i will if he doesnt pull his head out of his arse
  • Options
    I actually feel sorry for him.

His confidence is shot to bits, to keep sending him out is now boardering on cruelity. For his sake as much as the teams, he needs a stint in the reserves to sort himself out.
  • Options
    I like his work ethic but at the end of the day we need players that are going to man up and get on with it . Especialy in this league. If this can't happen, he should not play.

I fail to see why he plays week in week out when Dickson and McLeod don't get a chance. But then when it comes down to it, none of us really know what happens at training.
  • Options
    There was a point on Tuesday where Bouazza was pointing for Varns to get into the box instead of staying wide and getting in the way.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]There was a point on Tuesday where Bouazza was pointing for Varns to get into the box instead of staying wide and getting in the way.

Have heard that Varney and Bouazza do not get on well with each other, and they never seem to pass to each other. If that's the case they need to sort it out.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You, NSS and McMoist especially, can throw your I am not going to games back at me all you like but I don't understand this Varney hatred.

Yes I know he has missed some sitters and they are unforgivable to a certain extent but if there is one player that epitomises Charlton through and through it's Varney. You've all been banging on about it's time to support Charlton get behind the lads get behind Parky etc yet eveyone, virtually, is systematically driving Varney out of the club.

Lest we forget his performance against Reading at home to name but one.

Everyone knows in football confidence is a massive thing and when Varney, and the team by the way, have it we play well.

Bringing in a left back who can't get into a bloody Derby team for Varney amazes me it really does.

Shoot me down all you like but I like Varney think he's a good player probably needs to sit on the bench for a couple of games.[/quote]

When the feck have i slagged him off,i said he missed a sitter the other night,if you read my postings I was backing up Waghorn who i felt was gettin slagged for no particular reason.Varney is not and never will be a striker he is a winger at best and reminds me of Garry Nelson.He gives his all but it aint happening for him.I await your apology with baited breath ;-)
  • Options
    slap em both!
  • Options
    Bouazza doesn't like passing to anyone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    STOP saying VARNEY IS LIKE NELSE

let me repeat no he fecking aint he aint fit to lace nelses boots never will be

ILOVEGARYNELSON.COM

I reckon he ment NLA, steve not you
  • Options
    I made some comments regarding his finishing on tuesday the game was there for the takin he was 8 yards out only keeper to beat and didn't even make the keeper work.These is no doubt of his work ethic but i have said from day 1 he is a winger.
  • Options
    Should never have been the 'main man'. Scored a decent amount of goals considering the number of starts he had last season, and how he was in and out of the team all the time.
  • Options
    CONFIDENCE IS KEY LET HIM HAVE A MONTH LOAN TO DERBY AND WHEN HE GETS BACK MAYBE HE'LL BE BACK IN GS BOOTS.
  • Options
    shouldnt have had the pressure of being told he is the main man.

i appreciate FULLY that he isnt scoring the goals. but look around at the team -shocking the lot of them. probably the one player who has the "old charlton mentality" about them is Luke Varney. not a great player but trying his hardest. plus forget about Dicko and Mcloed. they are not the answer. if Varney was on the form he is in now for any other championship team we would have got him on loan and been told "he is the type of player charlton need right now". ffs the lot of them are playing like sh&T but at least he tries.
    Varney out Burton in?? god help us.
  • Options
    I really like the bloke and I'd love to see him succeed but did you see his body language after his miss?

He looked like a broken man.

We had a succession of corners after that and I made a point of watching him, he looked like he was about to cry.
    Gray kept trying to gee him up but you could see it was the final straw.

He needs a break, either in the reserves or a loan.

Get either Dickson or Mcleod in, give them a decent run in the team and see what they can do.
    Then if they turn out to be rubbish and Varney has been banging them in then get him back in the first team.
  • Options
    So how long should we continue to play a shot shy striker whose confidence is shot when we have other striker that are regularly scoring for the reserves.

You say that McLeod and Dickson aren't the answer, what are you basing that on?

Maybe long term they aren't but I'm pretty sure they would offer more than Varney at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I made some comments regarding his finishing on tuesday the game was there for the takin he was 8 yards out only keeper to beat and didn't even make the keeper work.These is no doubt of his work ethic but i have said from day 1 he is a winger.

You are getting the wrong end of the stick Steve - I said
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]You, NSS and McMoist especially, can throw your I am not going to games back at me all you like but I don't understand this Varney hatred.

Meaning you can have you pop about me not going to games - I wasn't saying you were having a go at Varney.
  • Options
    i understand Mcleod and Dickon havent been given the games to really prove themself - but from what i have seen of them in championship games - not reserves, they havent given me any confidence that they are better than Varney.
  • Options
    OH LUKE VARNEY, IS WONDERFUL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ;oP
  • Options
    Fair comment AA. Persoanally I don't think that either can really be judged on what we have seen so far.

What I would say though is the one thing that Dickson and Mcleod have going for them is confidence. Both are on a decent scoring run (Dickson 6 in 7, Mcleod 3 in 5 I think it is) Surely a striker that is scoring goals, no matter what the level, has to be a better bet than one that is getting to the point where he is too scared to go into the penalty box?
  • Options
    for the record by the way I agree with all what MOST of you say. The chances he's missed are unfrorgiveable , I said as much, but I just feel he is being made the scapegoat when the rest of the team have been worse.

Primus and Hudson have been shocking lately for example - from my TV view ;-)
  • Options
    The negative focus on Varney is unfortunate but part of the game. Exceptionally industrious with some ability he should & often does offer value to the side. Yet when he gets to the punch line he too frequently fluffs his lines.

In terms of ability he should be one of the first names on the team sheet but he fails to deliver the end result his industry deserves. Thus his contribution becomes counterproductive. You do actually feel for the guy but a player who strolls for 80 mins scoring twice in the other 10 mins delivers far more.

It has to be another questionable Pardew signing. Like many Varney has not developed. Paired with Iwelumo he showed promise. They complemented each other - one provided mobility - the other a physical goal threat. Acquiring Gray and releasing Iwelumo changed the dynamic. Gray, a good player does not complement Varney. It is a matter of balance. Varney in the right team will be effective.

We do not have the resources nor is the required talent available in the market to achieve a short term fix. So another balancing act comes in to play. Varney is well paid. Norwich who competed for his signing were astounded at the terms we offered. I recall many an adverse comment re parachute monies.

The state of our finances is there for all to see. Varney’s (temporary?) likely departure will be for more reasons than loss of form.

Grapevine 49
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think Varney is the cause of all of our problems and should be sold immediately. If we could somehow get a left back in at the same time (and perhaps a bit of cover for our strikers), the world would be a better place.

What? Eh? Oh.