Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bit disappointed with fan attitudes at the moment to be honest

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Of course its bloody hard at the mo with such a bad run behind us. But I think a few people need to take a step back and have a think to be honest.

We are simply getting all too demanding. Don't want him, he's sh1t, he should be playing, he should be sold etc.

We think we're experts, yet we know zero about what goes on day to day in training, personalities, attitudes, fitness, injuries, personal lives etc. They are all key factors in what side gets picked on a Saturday, not just on form and ability.

Some of the manager suggestions have been ridiculous, yet there would have been uproar had Mick McCarthy been appointed to follow Curbishley. Yet look two years on what he has done with Wolves.

I hope more than anything Parky gets the job full time. To do so it would mean we would have put together an impressive short-term run, which is desperately what we need at the moment.

I don't give a damn whether he was Pardew's assistant or shoe shiner previously, you work for a boss and you do what your boss tells you to do. I won't judge him on anything that has gone on in the past.

This would be Phil's third management job, and he has been managing since 2003. He is neither an expensive appointment nor is he completely wet behind the ears. What the (few) of us at QPR saw on Tuesday was an encouraging improvement on what we have seen in the last couple of months, even if the results went against us.

I was impressed he was ruthless enough to say he wants it when his boss has just got the boot, I was impressed with the way he wasn't afraid to change the team around, i agreed with his subs when he made them, i've agreed with everything he has said since being made caretaker, and more than anything, i sense he really wants this job.

Of course, if things don't improve in the next few games then he won't get it, but i'm certainly going to be giving him a chance and to be honest, i'm really disappointed it appears others aren't even willing to do that.

Expectation levels are still completely wrong.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I was impressed he was ruthless enough to say he wants it when his boss has just got the boot, I was impressed with the way he wasn't afraid to change the team around, i agreed with his subs when he made them, i've agreed with everything he has said since being made caretaker, and more than anything, i sense he really wants this job.

Totally agree.
  • Agree 100%, and I'm stunned by a thread on here questioning whether winning is a good thing for the future
  • Good stuff AFKA, Parky had a blinding record at colchester and got them up to the championship which was a miracle for a club that size, he only had 20 or so games at hull so cant really judge him on that.
  • What Rothko said
  • Exactly.

We need to calm down.

The players are going to be absolutely petrified saturday morning and us the fans are heaping more pressure on them.

Come on Parky.
  • Excellent post mate. Agree 100%
  • Great post mate
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite] What the (few) of us at QPR saw on Tuesday was an encouraging improvement on what we have seen in the last couple of months.

and so was what I saw at Birmingham. Look what happened the next game.
  • edited November 2008
    Never really see the point of saying yes I agree to threads, but on this one deserves it

Bit of perspective definately needed, get behind the team, let them do their job and lets hope they can turn things around.

I for one want to see Parky given the job, give him a chance, dont tar him with the same brush, let him make his own mistakes and evaluate him on those if you have to.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Agree 100%, and I'm stunned by a thread on here questioning whether winning is a good thing for the future

was just raising what I thought was a valid line of reasoning. Sorry if you didn't like it, or AFKA come to that. I sincerely hope you are all right and Parky takes us on a sparkling run of form and improved performances. Just hope that six games down the line we are not saying that he has wasted six games and we still deep in do do.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Expectation levels are still completely wrong.

Agree with the rest but not sure where you're coming from with this. Even people with low expectations must have thought we would do better than being in the bottom 3, at this point in the season, and so it has followed that there's been a lot of moaning from fans. Granted expectation levels have been high and continue to be with some fans, but a reasonable level of expectation is present in nearly all fans who hope for some modicum of success for their club. Yes some people still see us as a Prem club are wrong but by the same token lets not start thinking like a League one club just yet.
  • Ok Large, lets put it another way.

New man comes in tomorrow, cannot sign a single player till January. Talk about fresh face etc having an impact, do you really think with the inability to bring in a single player he wants, or outs a single player he didn't, it would have that much more impact ?

What would happen then in 6 games we do that and nothing has changed. We would have played every single card we had with over 5 months to the end of the season.

Parky clearly disagreed with Pardew on certain things, which is why in one game he ripped up the right hand side and centre midfield of the team. he is clearly going into this as a new man, exactly the same as any other 'fresh face' would do.

Giving Parky the short-term is the sensible approach. If it fails to make an impact, then we can play our final card in getting a new man in. Our finances mean we can't be cavalier about this.
  • Lets give him a chance and see how he picks the lads up after defeat at QPR. Need a win at home to boost confidence and get the crowd staying to the end to cheer the lads off - seems like an age since we were able to do that.
  • Why are people moaning?

Half of the people on this Board back in the netaddicks day wanted Curbishley out because they didn't like boring mid table Premiership football and thought that Championship football would be better because it would be exciting and all the "plastics" would go.

Well you've your wish now enjoy it!
  • Parkinson has very different views on players then Pards, he probably wouldn't have sold Iwelumo like Pards did (and the majority of the support wanted) he likes Racon, he thinks Semedo is the water carrier that we badly need, and got the balance on the right hand side for the first time since Luke Young left.

We can't afford to lose games, especially to Southampton at the moment, the idea that losing is good in the long run is stupid imho
  • "Giving Parky the short-term is the sensible approach. If it fails to make an impact, then we can play our final card in getting a new man in." - Spot on

Also, if Thick Mick had been made manager I think there would've been carnage.

Taking the situation as a whole, the free season ticket offer didn't help to lessen any expectations?
  • Surely this board is for people to air different views and announace their expectaions wheter they be deemed to high or not high enough

which is exactly what these 2 posts do?

I think it is fair and right that fans should be given a forum to say so and so is shit he needs to be dropped

It is only right that people can say i dont want so and so in charge

I think Varney needs to be dropped because his record taht the moment is shit, I wouldnt boo him or heckle him on saturday but i should be able to put it up here surely
  • nobody is saying you can't nla, afka is just saying he is disappointed as to the attitude of some fans - which is is entitled to do. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    I don't give a damn whether he was Pardew's assistant or shoe shiner previously, you work for a boss and you do what your boss tells you to do. I won't judge him on anything that has gone on in the past.

Despite my saying to the contrary before this is a great point and I agree 100% - i was one to say he was Pards asst etc but this is spot on.
  • Surely this board is for people to air different views and announace their expectaions wheter they be deemed to high or not high enough

which is exactly what these 2 posts do?

thats what i mean WSS but we cant all agree all the time and even though i dont agree with the is a win what we need thread

it does ask some good questions
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Why are people moaning?

Half of the people on this Board back in the netaddicks day wanted Curbishley out because they didn't like boring mid table Premiership football and thought that Championship football would be better because it would be exciting and all the "plastics" would go.

Well you've your wish now enjoy it!

yeah but league one could be MORE exciting new grounds to visit blah blah blah
  • I agree about 60%, generally the hysteria gets me down, but trusting in the club seems a bit empty headed given the succession of balls ups. If I hired a taxi off a firm and the first three drivers I had wrapped it round a lampost, I wouldn't feel it was out of place to give the latest one a couple of handy hints and tips. The bit of your post that I find particularly inaccurate is a line that has been trotted out by a few on here: that we, as fans don't have the right to have opinions because they don't see the players in training etc. So I can't have an opinion about Rooney being a good player, because I don't know what he's like at heads and volleys? We've persisted with a model of earnest hard trainers with a "good attitude" and it's got us on pretty quick, accelerating one way elevator. As our decline hastens I'm waiting for someone to realise that a change of approach might be needed. I've stopped thinking that it can't get worse, because it keeps getting proved that it can.

My particular bugbear with this, is Dickson. He's an out and out striker. In the only objective tests of his ability to perform role - his goal scoring record, he's not far off a one for one ratio (the reserves and on loan for Gillingham). I'm not saying the guy is world class, or doesn't have some flaw that isn't apparent to an amateur like me; but that record - and the poor performance of those ahead of him in the queue makes it truly amazing that he's never even had a single start. I suppose this kind of thing is why we are such shit at the moment.

Oh, and Deon Burton and Ian Harte are just utter shite and shouldn't be playing league football. I don't care how rose tinted your glasses are you have to draw the line with the grimness of some of the players that we're tickling at the moment
  • oh len glover, dear me!
  • well said morts
  • I am sitting her crying with laughter at Len & Ooh Aah's posts just knew they would be coming :-)
  • edited November 2008
    agree afka, and this is what I was saying 2 weeks ago about how everyone discusses things that they know not a lot about in a way that makes them sound like they do know what they are talking about. its fair enough saying what you think about things, but not as if you KNOW.
    no one here knows whats goes on at the training ground, how people play, their attitude, why they are picked or not picked other than the 90 mins on the pitch. everyone thinks they are the expert but in reality - no one is, not even the manager(s) if we're totally honest, everyone is just doing their best.

Deon Burton scored tuesday night for sheff wed, 10 starts and 8 apps by sub this season so far. 22 shots and 7 on target. make of that what you will.
  • Suz

even you cant spin Burton into a good signing :-) those stats show why he aint in the team
  • edited November 2008
    In fairness Len, the plastics are gone and the 'proper charlton' now tend to leave at half time. . . maybe OohAah can do a hand count during half time.

Yes, come back Curbs and thrill us with your Brazil 1970's football again!

Let's just hope Col U stay up next season eh.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Suz

even you cant spin Burton into a good signing :-) those stats show why he aint in the team

not spinning, just putting up some stats.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    Deon Burton scored tuesday night for sheff wed, 10 starts and 8 apps by sub this season so far. 22 shots and 7 on target. make of that what you will.

It means he gets a shot on target every 2.5 appearances and doesn't score very often.