Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney the price for sacking Pardew

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Unfortunately Varney has been as big a failure for us as the man who bought him for £2M. If we can get, say, £1.5M for him then we should grab it with both hands and genuinely wish him good luck.

It pays for the sacking of Pardew and I don't suppose Parky has got too much say in the matter.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds about right.

PP: "I felt Luke needed a change of scenery to kick-start his career and it was a chance for the club to regroup a large chunk of the transfer fee paid out for him."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Unfortunately Varney has been as big a failure for us as the man who bought him for £2M. If we can get, say, £1.5M for him then we should grab it with both hands and genuinely wish him good luck.

It pays for the sacking of Pardew and I don't suppose Parky has got too much say in the matter.

I think you have it in one Salad.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you have called it right.
  • Options
    Agreed - Varney pays off Pardew. I just hope that means we can now keep a fit and recovered ZZ in January. But got a horrible feeling it doesn't.
  • Options
    na, we'd never get value for him now, absolutely no point selling, particularly when he can clearly play ON THE BLOODY RIGHT WING!!!!

:D
  • Options
    Salad spot on

what you also need to be mindful of here is that although i thought Varney had reached the point of no return as to his form at charlton. i actually thought that for his endeavor and effort he was a nice enough guy he was awarded the man of the match award twice whilst i was in corperate and spoke well enough about the club

it was doing him no good to stay with us his confidence was wrecked if Jewell can change that all well and good for him ansd i hope he has a good career

we need the money to pay pardew and that was i am afraid our last saleable asset so so be it

what it might do is take one of the boys who are so nervous at home out of the firing line and then maybe the squad wont be so nervous or worried about him missing a chance which make no bones about he would miss
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]na, we'd never get value for him now, absolutely no point selling, particularly when he can clearly play ON THE BLOODY RIGHT WING!!!!

:D

I think they are looking at cash flow not value.

Cut the losses but get enough in to pay Pardew off.

Footballing considerations don't come into it.
  • Options
    how much has been quoted?
  • Options
    Nigel mate, ZZ is all tied up for a move on the 1st of Jan to a prem club, WBA leading the chase. his whole injury is just to keep him out of the first team so he dosnt get crocked before Jan. i would be amazed if we ever see ZZ in cafc shirt again, he was miffed that the move never came at the start of the season. Put money tho on a comeback about 2 weeks before the transfer deadline then bye bye Zheng. Just have never seen what people see in the bloke, would have rather kept Varney to be honest.
  • Options
    Pretty sure ZZ will leave. Have so many central midfielders, including some promising young players coming through, he's the only one we can really get a bit of money for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't the only reason ZZ didn't go in the summer was because his agent wanted too much dough?

I don't believe the stuff about him not playing in case he gets injured for one minute I'm afraid!
  • Options
    Here's what Pardew said about Varney on the OS on Aug 23 :

"I obviously paid a lot of money for Varns and at times last year I thought he was overawed by the size of this club. But I stuck with him and I told him in pre-season that he was going to be my man."

Well he certainly turned out to be your man, Pardew - to the tune of about £1.5 million that's going straight into your back pocket by the sound of things !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even sadder in a way is what Luke told the OS a couple of days later following his goal v Reading:

"The manager has really built me up this year, and I know everyone is looking for me to score the goals to get this club promoted...I've never doubted myself, but Pards is a very good man-manager and he really makes you believe in yourself. ..I want to be the main man this season and that goal will really push me on...For me personally, this is just a starting block. I've always been the sort of person who aims highly and the sky's the limit. I can see myself getting promoted to the Premier League with Charlton.”

Jeez...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Wasn't the only reason ZZ didn't go in the summer was because his agent wanted too much dough?

I don't believe the stuff about him not playing in case he gets injured for one minute I'm afraid!

How many games did Reidy miss before he was sold?
  • Options
    And? God forbid he might actually have been injured!
  • Options
    Put this on the other thread:

I very much doubt we paid £2.5m for Varney in one go guys. It was more than likely to be a deal "worth £2.5m". Considering his performances, I very much doubt he has done enough for us to even consider paying Crewe the full amount.
  • Options
    It was £2m potentially rising to £2.5m. If its down to goals I think he's scored 9 so probably not enough, if its appearances though...
  • Options
    yeah I can just imagine crewe saying, its ok you don't have to pay us if you flog him...

:)
  • Options
    To be fair none of us know the contract do we? But i'm just saying.

Wikipedia, the site with about the same amount of knowledge as CL members is saying the deal to Derby is worth £1m.
  • Options
    i don't think when he joined we handed over a suitcase with 2m cash in.....
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the money is needed to pay off Pards the fact is we couldnt have our cake and eat it with that fella

if he stayed we saved £1mill and kept Varney if he went we lost Pardew and a mill and lost a player out of form

is the issue Varney going or Burton coming in

lets face up to it folks we shop at Nettos not Sainsburys now days

i think varns needed to either be loaned out or dropped he has, I can not believe Burton is better than anything we have currently but at the moment i cant see past southampton

in parky we must trust

for now anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The trouble is we are running out of time fast. Still bottom three at christmas and we can really start to panic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]the money is needed to pay off Pards fact we couldnt have our cake and eat it with that fella
    if he stayed we saved £1mill and kept Varney if he went we lost Pardew and a mill and lost a player out of form
    is the issue Varney going or Burton coming in
    lets face up to it folks we shop at Nettos not Sainsburys now days
    i think varns needed to either be loaned out or dropped he has, I can not believe Burton is better than anything we have currently but at the moment i cant see past southampton
    in parky we must trust
    for now anyway

you obviously know more about it that some.
    varney has been dropped and loaned out. what is your prob?
    i don't think we should look past southampton - it is our next game. You might have to wait and see if burton is better than what we've got. I'm sure you'll let us know when you've decided.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The trouble is we are running out of time fast. Still bottom three at christmas and we can really start to panic.

you mean people aren't panicking already?

christ - i won't be on here around xmas. it'll do my head in.
  • Options
    ''Still bottom three at christmas and we can really start to panic. ''

Sorry to be a pessimist but I'm already resigning myself to the distinct possibility.

If we're not then it will be by far the best Xmas present I'm likely to be getting from anyone this year!
  • Options
    how about starting one of our other strikers, radical I know..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how about starting one of our other strikers, radical I know..

Don't be silly.
  • Options
    We bring in an 18 and 31 years old strikers - What are we actually saying about Dickson, McLeod and Fleetwood. They obviously are no good so lets get rid now. I just cannot get my head around the way things are going at The Valley just now. Division one beware....Charlton are commin at yer.
  • Options
    Pardew seems to be a man who likes a gamble so I think what we we should have done is put the names of all the strkers in a hat and told him to pick one out - and whichever name he pulled out, the selling fee on that player was his pay-off.

There's a 50 per cent chance he'd have pulled out Fleetwood, Dickson or McLeod. None of whom we'd get any money for but he wouldn't have been able to complain because he bought the lot of them - and then wouldn't play them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how about starting one of our other strikers, radical I know..

Don't be silly.

perhaps they are no good at the moment but would be good when were not in a battle?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    "There's no fee involved for Deon and he's a player I've admired for a long time. What concerned me slightly is that if Andy Gray got injured, we lacked a hold-up player and I was struggling to find two strikers who complemented each other.

Parky, I hate to criticise a signing before he's here but the guy is only 5' 8". I used to see him at Brentford a few times and hold-up play is not hid forte.

I'm convinced Parky thought he was getting Dion Dublin who is a hold-up type player.