Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonjo - Leaving ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Steady folks ...... no one on here really knows Jonjo's own situation - so it's all guesswork, based on what?

I don't think it takes a genius to work out something has clearly gone on. He had a starting berth at the start of the season, and now can't get near the squad. Either he has hit a wall in terms of progression, or something else has happened.

I would be pig sick if he left. I get tremendous pride in seeing the likes of JonJo and Basey break through into the first team. It should be everything that this club is about.

If JonJo moves on this season, expect a massive withdrawal from Valley Gold.

If he goes I will be massively gutted, to lose a cracking promising player like that before he has even properly shown us what he can do will be difficult to swollow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]
    That's what I think and what Parky thinks too - otherwise Waghorn - who is much more accomplished and close to the first team than Jon Jo is, would have started or been on the bench on Saturday!

I thought Waghorn was left out because we can only play 5 loans at any one time and Bouazza, Cranie, McEverley, Gillespie and Burton were the 5.

As for Shelvey, we can talk all day but who knows what's going on until Uncle replies. It's highly likely he's just being taken out of a struggling squad as it's no place for a 16 year old. Wright was in and around the team a few weeks ago but i don't see him either, that must mean he's leaving too?
  • Options
    Just sent Jonjo (the ammer) a message on face book asking him what he's been up to of recent and when his Uncle will be back online with us! - If he does go anywhere WHU is where i think he's likely to go.

Awaiting reply now...

Also

Ben Godfrey says he wants a first team outing - really badly though knows he needs to score more.
  • Options
    Dazzler and Jonjo are like that... "crosses fingers"
  • Options
    Most likely is we're keeping him in cotton wool given the problems at the club
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Dazzler and Jonjo are like that... "crosses fingers"

No reply yet but unfortunately, I know Ben Godfrey better he went to the same school as me (he was two years below) and his sister was friends with my brother.

(only know Jonjo through facebook nice enough guy though)
  • Options
    I, personally, don't think its a bad thing that he's not in the team at the moment. The pressure on him would be immense and I don't think it would be fair.

I hope we use him sparingly so that his development as a player isn't compromised. Good things come to those who wait!
  • Options
    If Curbs was still manager ....... he would be unlikely to give Jonjo a game before he was 21

;o)
  • Options
    Well my guess, and I stress it's guess is that he will be leaving us soon. I think the club still needs to raise some money, and if you look at the squad, assuming we pick up some dosh for Varney, where else is the money coming from? We've just signed Burton, all the other strikers are at best squad players, injury prone &/or firing blanks. Weavers price must have dropped somewhat recently, ZZ about to go out of contract, so who else in the squad has any significant sales value? I hope I'm wrong because Jonjo is one very much for the very near future.
  • Options
    I rememebr a situation similar with Lee Bowyer, only really had a season with us beofre we sold, but we got enough dough to bring in Mendonca and the rest is history
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bostock went for £700k.

Would you expect Shelvey to go for more?

In any case I think we wait until his 17th birthday and see.

National and local papers have been known to make up stories, agents have been known to plant stories to get bigger salaries for their clients and occasionally stories are true.

Which one is it? Don't know so not going to get too worried about it yet. IF it happens then I'll be pig sick as well but no point getting hot under the collar about it yet.
  • Options
    Bostock went for the same as Defoe - same initial amount + add ons - could reach +£2.5m if he was to play for England etc

Seeing as Shelvey is 16 and has only played 4 (?) first team games - I don't think we could expect more ...
  • Options
    Didn't Spurs offer more to start with but Tangoman got greedy & took it to the FA?
  • Options
    I seem to remember him wanting £5m or so, which sounds a lot, but if Bostock reaches his potential he could be worth at least that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Didn't Spurs offer more to start with but Tangoman got greedy & took it to the FA?

As much as i hate him i think it's harsh to call Jordan greedy. The kid was trained and developed by Palace from a young age, made his first team debut at 15 and was the England Under 17s captain. What price would you put on that? I'd say 5m was cheap so to only get 700k is an insult. Spurs must've been laughing.
  • Options
    As will be whoever snaps up Shelvey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]As will be whoever snaps up Shelvey

Has he replied to your facebook message yet?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think he understands why he is not in the team atm (not sure what this means apparently he won't disclose it)

Therefore I have had a reply but not direct from him from someone else as he didn't reply (my old p.e teacher who works with the yoofs now)

I have more connections than i thought lol!
  • Options
    Dazzler - pass on this message pls

"Jonjo, we love you, you are the future of this club - and in the immortal words of KC and the sunshine Band - PLEASE DON'T GO

Best Regards
    Steve - and the Charlton Life crew"
  • Options
    I find the letting go of players with any sort of class the most worrying thing about cafc at the mo. Yes it could enable us to grind out a few results but could go woefully wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there's some mileage in this story and which Prem league side wouldn't be interested in acquiring a player like Shelvey on the cheap? They know the moment he signs a full contract his worth will double so I'd expect a few bids, that doesn't mean that he'll go. Sadly the Bostock case has meant that Premier league clubs can buy talented young players who are under 17/outside a pro contract for under their market value. It doesn't mean that Shelvey will be sold though - and I think that the clubs that are supposedly interested (Boro, Sunderland etc) are hardly the elite. He'd be better off getting some first team experience at Charlton and moving on in a season or two when he's got some experience, but then he might be greedy and/or the club might be desperate.
  • Options
    Zola was there tonite could only have been to watch Jonjo.Wasn't his best game though thank feck.I don't expect him to be here come March.Just my opinion before anyone jumps to conclusion's Uncle hasn't said anything to me about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Whenever he goes to play in these junior tournaments for England he must see the Man U and Chelsea under 17s with their gold plated BMXs and be tempted by the bling. Seriously though from a career perspective a season and a half with us is surely best for him but then again i suppose that he could get a serious injury and have to give up the game without the safety net of a long term premier league contract. Tough one all round really.
  • Options
    The problem is, money talks and we ain't got none. If his agent turns up with the promise of £5 or £10k per week from Newcastle or Boro or Sunderland or whoever, that would be enough to turn any 17 year old's head as we saw in the case of J Defoe. He'll be off, IMHO
  • Options
    if jon jo goes imo it will be because the club need the money.

if not i can see them doing everything they can to keep him even if it means paying him silly money to stay, without doubt the boy is a real talent and will be worth a darn site more if we manage to get him on a contract. It is important that we stay in this league and then play him from the off next year as soon as he turns 17.

we know you read on here jj

it is fecking cold and grim up north mate stay in the warmth of se7
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Zola was there tonite could only have been to watch Jonjo.Wasn't his best game though thank feck.I don't expect him to be here come March.Just my opinion before anyone jumps to conclusion's Uncle hasn't said anything to me about it.

Played crap and scored who doesn't want a player who still scores on an "off" game...

[cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]if jon jo goes imo it will be because the club need the money.

if not i can see them doing everything they can to keep him even if it means paying him silly money to stay, without doubt the boy is a real talent and will be worth a darn site more if we manage to get him on a contract. It is important that we stay in this league and then play him from the off next year as soon as he turns 17.

we know you read on here jj

it is fecking cold and grim up north mate stay in the warmth of se7
    lol pity is he's an ammer so if he goes anywhere it'll be WHU...
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Dazzler - pass on this message pls

"Jonjo, we love you, you are the future of this club - and in the immortal words of KC and the sunshine Band - PLEASE DON'T GO

Best Regards
    Steve - and the Charlton Life crew"

will do.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ok so i sent jonjo your message and now i can't access his profile too much mail going his way makes me think he's removed me :o(
  • Options
    hahah, he thinks you're his stalker?!!
  • Options
    Expect a restraining order anyday now!