Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managers who've never been sacked

A small and elite band, I suspect.

Curbishley is one of them, having left both CAFC and West Ham of his own choosing (despite his claim v WHU for constructive dismissal ).

Both Ferguson and Wenger were sacked in their early careers.

But who else has never been sacked ? (Obviously those still in their first managerial job don't count ... unles they've been there for years). I reckon the names can probably be written on a postage stamp but would be interested to see what we can come up with.

As a corollary, I wonder which manager still working in the English game has been sacked the most times? (Presumably a very rich man with multiple pay-offs...)

Comments

• Options
    Dario Gradi
  • Options
    Before Gradi joined Crewe in 79 BC, he had brief spells at Wimbledon and also Palace, I think. Don't know ther history but suspect he was sacked by at least one if not both of them.
  • Options
    Roy Keane?
  • Options
    Watch this space, as they say, Suzi !!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mark hughes
    martin o'neil
  • Options
    managers currently in their first job must be exempted from the list

good question nigel
  • Options
    Johnson at Bristol City, formerly Yeovil?
  • Options
    I'm not sure Benitez has ever been sacked has he?
  • Options
    Was Lennie Lawrence ever sacked?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Was Lennie Lawrence ever sacked?

Boro I think and most prob Bradford?

Defo - Grimsby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think Keegan has ever been sacked, he always quits.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Johnson at Bristol City, formerly Yeovil?[/quote]

I think Johnson was sacked from his first two jobs Kettering and Cambridge before his stint with Latvia
  • Options
    David Moyes only two jobs though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    As a corollary, I wonder which manager still working in the English game has been sacked the most times? (Presumably a very rich man with multiple pay-offs...)

I'd say Dowie must be quite high up on the 'most sackings' list.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Benitez was def. sacked by at least one of his Spanish clubs (of which he had something like five in ten years).

Keegan definitely qualifies and Moyes, who's been a manager for ten years now and never been sacked, is a good call.

So I reckon so far we have four - Curbs, Mark Hughes , Keegan and Moyes...not sure about Martin O'Neill. V brief stay at Norwich. Left due to ''differences''. Don't know enough of the background to say whether he walked or was pushed. Anyone else know?
  • Options
    He might not last much longer but Paul Ince is now in his 3rd job and hasn't been sacked yet
  • Options
    Did Harry Redknapp walk from WHU? Other than that I think he's been a quitter at all the clubs he's been at
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Some controversy over the precise circs of 'Arry's demise at West Ham but I think he was definitely sacked. But he's been a manager now for 25 years and one dismissal in a quarter of a century in such a dangerous profession is pretty amazing...
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Brendan Rodgers :)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thinking about 'Arry at West 'Am reminds me of a story I'd completely forgotten for years and years until now.

My friend Louise Taylor went to interview him for The Times some time in the early '90s and she was invited with her tape recorder to his house. I remember her telling me the next day that when she arrived, 'Arry answered the door wearing Mrs 'Arry's kitchen pinny and with the vacuum cleaner in his hands.

Whether it was one of his little jokes or he really does moonlight as Mrs Mop when he's at home, I don't know. But I'm inclined to think it was for real because he asked Louise not to mention it in her piece...I've loved him ever since!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i guess curbs is the only one that everyone knew he never be sacked before.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: yung2368[/cite]i guess curbs is the only one that everyone knew he never be sacked before.

yeah thanks that was pointed out 2 hours ago. read before you post!!
  • Options
    alright, my mistake.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]A small and elite band, I suspect.

Curbishley is one of them, having left both CAFC and West Ham of his own choosing (despite his claim v WHU for constructive dismissal ).

Both Ferguson and Wenger were sacked in their early careers.

But who else has never been sacked ? (Obviously those still in their first managerial job don't count ... unles they've been there for years). I reckon the names can probably be written on a postage stamp but would be interested to see what we can come up with.

I thnik it is arguable that we did not sack Curbs. It was a nice sacking, but it was us that terminated his contract, he wanted to manage the next season.

Lennie Lawrenxcxe was sacked by Middlesborough (suceeded by Brian Robson) and Bradford City
  • Options
    NO, according to his bio, the board liked to extend the contract for 3 more years but curbs only want 1 as he thinks that is as far as he can lead chalrton in the league so they reach the mutual agreement. the 1 year curbs wanted to extend was because he wanted to give the board time to find someone who can qualify for the job.
  • Options
    i just think the board owe curbs a big one. it's said to see 16 years effort being wasted in less than 3 years......
  • Options
    Bog off mate, do us all a favour.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    He's a US addick CA. Perhaps you guys could meet up ;)
  • Options
    He a US addick ...

is that why his English is even worse than George Bush's ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]He a US addick ...

is that why his English is even worse than George Bush's ?

Yanks dont speak English proper like what we do mate.