Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of The year 2008

?

Rebecca Adlington for me.

One for the would yas if you read that sort of thing too I suggest

Comments

• Options
    Lewis Hamilton I would have thought (for the personality rather than the Would Ya but the ladies may wish to comment on that).

Not a fan of tyre changing but I would expect him to get plenty of votes.
  • Options
    Chris Hoy and Lewis Hamilton would also make worthy winners but I'll go with Adlington, 2 goal medals when there isn't a 50m pool in the whole of the East Midlands is something special.
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited December 2008
    Cannot see how Adlington can win it, Chris Hoy for me, overlooked after Athens and completely murdered the field in China, 5 golds in 2 games I think deserves it for me, and lets it Hamilton has got years to win it still whilst Hoy is into his 30's and won't make 2012!!!
  • Options
    Hoy or Joe Calzagi for me.
  • Options
    Jerome Thomas
  • Options
    gotta be Adlington we've been absolute crap at swimming in the womans events for donkeys years.
  • Options
    whoever blew the whistle in the stands at the city of manchester stadium to get Ronaldo sent off gets my vote!! he he.

cristiano-ronaldo_1124579c.jpg
  • Options
    Hoy or Wiggins for me, I'm sure Hamilton will (hopefully) have further opportunities.

Olympians only have a chance every four years
  • Options
    You will all totally disagree with this ,but i think the way Murray has worked to hit is current form and ignored all the whingers shows a lot more skill, strength courage and personality then most
  • Options
    Murray or Hoy for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry but Hoy has won 3 golds this year, the GB cycling team got I think 9 golds in China, fair play Murray's had a good season but until he win's a major he shouldn't be winning it, it's for dominating your field, i.e Joe Calzaghe, unbeaten, Hoy has won 5 golds in his career and dominated the sport I think it is only fair if he finally gets the award, I mean lets face when have we ever been so dominant in a sport like we are currently at cycling, may not be everyone's cup of tea but we are way in front of anyone, also to be honest I can see Team GB winnig team of the year and Dave Brailsford should get something for what he has done for the sport in this country!
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, i think Murray has made an incredible jump but how can he be considered for SPY without winning a major and getting knocked out of the Olympics so easily. Like others have said i hope Hoy gets it but it'll probably be Hamilton.
  • Options
    I hope one of the Olympians gets it, though I suspect the Beeb will give it to Lewis Hamilton who after all only faced a couple of of serious contenders. At least the likes of Hoy, Adlington, Cooke etc have some real character and put a lot of effort into winning, Lewis Hamilton really only turns up and drives and then invariably either wins or makes excuses for crashing on the first lap.
  • Options
    Surely the most boring list ever?

The whole thing has been ruined by the new BBC, trying to make it something so big. Phone votes, so many awards, LIVE from Birmingham...ZZZZzzzz.

This used to be a nice little programme on a wednesday night in November, now it is trying to be the bloody Oscars. No interest.
  • Options
    Addlington for me
  • Options
    Hoy: 3 medals this time plus 2 the time before.

How could anyone possibly vote for Adlington in comparison to that? ;-)

And if we're talking Would Ya, then there's definitely only the same winner ;-) ;-)

Lewis can have it next year, Murray the year after...
  • Options
    Chris hoy the real mcCoy
  • Options
    Hoy easily
  • Options
    Chris Hoy for me also, 3 Golds at one games is impressive work by anyone's standards.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Jerome Thomas[/quote]

What, over Marcus Bent ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Surely the most boring list ever?

The whole thing has been ruined by the new BBC, trying to make it something so big. Phone votes, so many awards, LIVE from Birmingham...ZZZZzzzz.

This used to be a nice little programme on a wednesday night in November, now it is trying to be the bloody Oscars. No interest.

On the contrary it's just about the most exciting list ever for the event with a number of very worthy nominations...something that as a nation we can be proud of for a change.
    Chirpy get a life mate....you always have to put a downer on things don't you...tell me, were you born a natural iconoclast or have you just turned bit by bit into Mr Negative?
  • Options
    Lewis for me !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Surely the most boring list ever?

For what it's worth Chirpy, I couldn't agree more. Absolutely cringeworthy tv - a sports programme for people who don't really like sports.
  • Options
    Hoy
  • Options
    I dont understand this award. Is it personality or the top sportman?

If it is personality then Murray shouldn't be allowed within 50 miles of the studio.........
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I agree that it's been 'somewhat' altered in it's original format ( and not for the better I suppose), which I remember as a kid many moons ago....however to suggest that it's a programme watched by folk who actually dislike or know nothing about sport is totally OTT.
    It's still the best of it's kind around and putting the schmaltzy production aside for one moment, it is still a very prestigious award...and as I say...this year it's packed with worthy nominations a fact which shouldn't go unnoticed.
    I watch it every year without fail...it's part of my heritage in a funny kind of way...I'm a sport nut and wouldn't be without it....even if the format isn't what it was.
  • Options
    I think Hoy gets it. But I also agree with Adlington too because we have been so rubbish rubbish rubbish at swimming for years so for her to come in and win two golds was fantastic. But Hoy pips it.

It has to be an Olympian for the sheer hard graft they put in for very little financial reward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]however to suggest that it's a programme watched by folk who actually dislike or know nothing about sport is totally OTT.

Sorry, what I meant by that comment is that the BBC pitch it at people who aren't sports nuts and do so in a patronising way. A lot of Sports fans will still watch it of course. I think I am right that it used to be called Sports Review of the year which was great - now this nauseating trend to fawn over sports people makes me just turn it off.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Surely the most boring list ever?

This used to be a nice little programme on a wednesday night in November, now it is trying to be the bloody Oscars. No interest.[/quote]

Personally I think it's been the best list for ages - several gold medal winners - some of them winning multiple golds, Calzaghe undefeated again, a world champ in Lewis Hamilton and the first decent tennis player for a generation. At least this year the winner will be someone who has actually won something rather than been a gallant loser.
  • Options
    is the prize for the sports 'personality' or 'achievement? ;-)