Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of The year 2008

Comments

• Options
    Dont mind who wins. thoses on the list are all worthy
  • Options
    Never watch for reasons mentioned by Low Ears and BFR. I think the reason some might think of it as a dull list this year is that there's not a footballer anywhere who should even come close. As the majority sport with more professional players than most sports have fans that should never be the case.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd mention that I'm down in Welsh Wales this week and noticed that on the local TV they are plugging BBC 'Welsh' sports personality of the year.

So why do we put Welsh on OUR list too? Bet the sweaties have got one of their own too.
  • Options
    Mine is surely Lewis Hamilton or Rebbeca Adlington. Chris Hoy will come third.
  • Options
    Think Lewis will get it, and i wouldn't begrudge the lad getting it - great talent and he achieved alot this season. But he didn't win 3 golds did he... Calzaghe won it last year didn't he, can't see him winning it again. Addlington will probably be top 3 with hammy and hoy
  • Options
    Right, now this award is sports PERSONALITY of the year yes? Now this in itself is a bit of a con considering some of the previous winners.

I think Joe Calzaghe deserves to win it again, not so much for his personality but for his now recognised dominance of the super-middleweight division and now the light heavies.

Lewis Hamilton has no personality, fantastic driver he is but no personality.

Chris Hoy, Ben Ainslie or Becky Addlington out of the Olympians have personalities as well as being nothing short of world class in their field.

If not Calzaghe then Becky Adlington for me.......... Or maybe Ben Ainslie not that I'm sitting on the fence or anything!
  • Options
    It'd be Hoy for me.

As said earlier, Hammilton and Murray wil win it over the next couple of years.

I think this is the first time there's not been either a footballer, cricketer or rugby player in the running. Is this a comment on the nations three 'major' sports?
  • Options
    Because they have dicked it up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Because they have dicked it up
    The Beeb or the sportsmen? :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I swam competivaly for 6 years (Nationally and Internationally) but I do not see swimming as a worthy sport for this award. Nor riding a bike or rowing a boat or sailing a yacht or driving a car- no matter how fast.
    Sport is Cricket, Football, Tennis, Golf, Boxing and National Hunt Racing. Everything else is minority or elietest and crap.
    If no one in real sport did anything worthy in 2008 then don't award it. That would make it worth more in 2009.
    Anyway it's the bloody BBC FFS not FIFA, LTA, MCC, ETC

Shove the whole thing up it's own arse with the bloody corrupt Olympics with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chirpy - you're not built like a person that swam for six years... whereas me and miss sausage have the shoulders!!!
  • Options
    I was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    you surprise me.... i always thought natural born swimmers tend to be much longer in the body... !
  • Options
    The sad thing for olympians is that they only really have the opportunity to stand out once every 4 years and then in a good year for Britain they have loads more competition. I'd give it to one of the olympians for that reason, which one os more deserving - not sure.
  • Options
    There are some excellent contenders this year.

I favour Adlington as she not only won two gold medals, the first British swimming double gold medallist sine 1908 and first female gold medallist since 1960, but also smashed a world record for 800 metres freestyle that had stood since 1989 which is a tremendous achievement and not too many world records last nearly 20 years in any sport.

That's the sports bit as to personality she is far more personable than either Hoy (typical Murraylike miserable Scotsman) or Hamilton.
  • Options
    nicole cooke for me
  • Options
    Rebecca Romero for me...wins a silver in rowing so takes up cycling to win her gold and does so....will be gutted if Hamilton wins just because he is so over hyped by the media.
  • Options
    Over hyped he certainly is but he's the only one who actually puts his life on the line to win in his sport. Tearing around at 200 mph for 2 hours takes some doing especially in the heat and humidity of Malaysia etc. But yes I do agree with you VM, Romero deserves recognition but I'm afraid I won' tbe putting money on it, Adlington's the better bet.
  • Options
    Hope Adlington wins - two gold medals and smashing a long-standing world record in a sport which isn't reliant on having the best technology to support your own natural ability.
  • Options
    Pardew might get it re his contributions these last 2 years to Palarse FC and maybe a special ward for "waiting around till i got the push so I get shed lads of cash"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I swam competivaly for 6 years (Nationally and Internationally) but I do not see swimming as a worthy sport for this award. Nor riding a bike or rowing a boat or sailing a yacht or driving a car- no matter how fast.
    Sport is Cricket, Football, Tennis, Golf, Boxing and National Hunt Racing. Everything else is minority or elietest and crap.
    If no one in real sport did anything worthy in 2008 then don't award it. That would make it worth more in 2009.
    Anyway it's the bloody BBC FFS not FIFA, LTA, MCC, ETC

Shove the whole thing up it's own arse with the bloody corrupt Olympics with it.

National Hunt Racing?????????????

Something totally elitist and minority, if you take away the betting Chirps only one Lord and his hunting hound would be interested...
  • Options
    John Terry for the funniest moment in football this year, otherwise Hoy or Adlington
  • Options
    An ENGLISH olympian please if you haven't voted yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]An ENGLISH olympian please if you haven't voted yet.
    Why? Its the BRITISH broadcasting Corporation awards FFS.

My vote's gone to Chris Hoy. Bloke's an absolute beast.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]An ENGLISH olympian please if you haven't voted yet.
    Why? Its the BRITISH broadcasting Corporation awards FFS.

My vote's gone to Chris Hoy. Bloke's an absolute beast.

Very simple. The BBC have a.........

BBC Scottish Sports Personality of the year.

BBC Welsh Sports Personality of the year

BBC Irish Sports Personality of the year

But NO BBC ENGLISH Sports Personality of the year.

So why do they get two shots at it?
  • Options
    There's no 'BBC Irish Sports Personality Of The Year' because there's no such thing as 'BBC Ireland'. There is, however, BBC Scotland and BBC Wales. Candidates for their Sports Personality of the year contests naturally reflect people from those territories. Seems perfectly legitimate to me - there's no 'BBC English Sports Personality Of The Year' because there's no such thing as 'BBC England'.
  • Options
    The BBC regions have there own votes, as Wales and Scotland are regions in the BBC set up, they have their own votes.

So less of the English paranoia
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Northern_Ireland_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year

What ever way you look at it, they get two shots at a BBC award and the English only one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Northern_Ireland_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year
    />
    What ever way you look at it, they get two shots at a BBC award and the English only one.
    Without wanting to get into a pedantic argument (for a change) 'Northern Ireland' is not part of Ireland. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of that situation (I'm not even going there) I didn't know that BBC NI also had a sports personality of the year. Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference anyway - its a tinpot award, that means nothing. Now it seems to have generated some 'EVERYONE'S AGAINST THE ENGLISH OMFG IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY RULE BRITANNIA JERUSALEM TIL I DIE' paranoia. I had this exact same conversation on Friday noght in the boozer - it was childish and pathetic of me to get involved then and I can't believe I bothered to take the bait this time either. I need a lie down.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They have a BBC London Sports Personality, so London and every region gets two stabs at it. Bradley Wiggins won the London one

English paranoia about the Scots and Welsh is embarrassing sometimes.