Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Festive Foods you Love & Hate

edited December 2018 in Not Sports Related
As I am currently unable to write anything positive about Charlton at the moment so i thought I would try something on 'Festive Foods' Both Good & Bad what do you Love & what do you loathe ? Me well it's gotta be :-

Love - Satsumas (Cannot stop eating them)
Loathe - Brussel Sprouts (The thought of them makes me wanna heave)

Comments

• Options
    Love - A big fat sausage from the butchers wrapped in a thick slice of bacon!
    Loathe - Christmas Pudding
  • Options
    Love - Just about all of it

Sprouts are great if not over done, Christmas pud, yummy,

Bucks Fizz with Smoked Salmon for breakie, a roast with all the trimmings, yorkshire pudding, stuffing yum yum yum

And a bowl of nuts plus some quality street.
  • Options
    Love christmas pud - especially the one my mother in law makes.

Hate - not a big fan of sausages wrapped in bacon. They are fine individually but is definately a case of the whole being less than the sum of it's parts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]Love christmas pud - especially the one my mother in law makes.

Hate - not a big fan of sausages wrapped in bacon. They are fine individually but is definately a case of the whole being less than the sum of it's parts.

Lucky we're not sharing Crimbo Dinner really!
  • Options
    Love: most things about Christmas grub, but carving chunks of hot boiled bacon I'd kill for, Mmmmmm

Hate: staring at the leftovers in the Mother-in-Laws moustache turns my stomach.
  • Options
    love - cold meat, mash & pickles that can last all boxing day.

hate - the enormous xmas day dinner (size, not the actual dinner) that disrupts xmas drinking for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Love: Freshly squeezed Satsuma juice & Gilbeys Gin.

Loathe: Those gnat's pish cans of lager that my more tightwad relos get in.
  • Options
    Love-98% of xmas grub

Loathe-Brussel Sprouts and Xmas pud (yuk!)
  • Options
    love has to be satsuma you really know it is xmas when they appear

hate sausage meat
  • Options
    Love - Everything other than roast parsnips

Hate - Parsnips
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love - Roast Chicken and stuffing (A chick as its just me and me folks)
    Hate - Xmas Pud (compost on a plate) and sprouts

This year I am spending Xmas alone - not a bad thing as the Kebab shops will be open on Xmas day
    Doner kebab with Cranberry sauce? Yes please.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Love: Poached eggs with posh ham (proper stuff) peeled plum tomatoes (hot) and wholemeal bread (toasted & buttered) washed down with bucks fizz (champagne & orange juice) Xmas day breakfast, cant wait.

Hate: Dates (the dried fruit) sickly.
  • Options
    Love: All the food - feasting like a king, especially the Boxing Day cold meats thing (love the sprouts too!!)
    Loathe: Mince pies, who invented such a shit recipe? I still manage to force down the 'good quality' ones though.......
  • Options
    love - real brandy butter made with butter, brandy and icing sugar
    loathe - turkey (this was when I used to eat meat)
  • Options
    Loathe- The general glutony and false festivity. However, on an immediate basis- Turkey- not good!

Also and increasingly with age- the expectation that after stuffing your face on Xmas day that we have to do it all again the next day..

Love- most meals prepared with care and interest. Nut roasts- brisket of beef, port soaked Stilton, Xmas pudding ice cream (A really labour intensive one) to name but a few.

Bah bloody humbug....
  • Options
    Love it all------------- missing the build up (which is a bore when your there)

Xmas tree put up over night in my hotel in Doha.
  • Options
    Must be talking Intercon or Ritz Carlton then..............they putting on a festive menu on the day?

Love - Turkey with the works & Xmas pud
    Loathe - nothing
  • Options
    Love everything other than mince pies, sprouts and xmas pudding.

Favourite is buffet time in between xmas and new year when all the Marks n Sparks party food comes out and I can sit on the sofa in the warm while we get dicked 3-0 at Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2008
    Love: Stilton & Danish Blue, I must have Cheese Footballs or its just not Christmas, and this year I have bought myself a chestnut roaster pan, so going to have some roasted chestnuts over Christmas as well.

Boxing Day, cold meats, turkey, ham etc with mash potato and loads of pickles and salad cream..............luverly jubbly

Hate: Not much really over Christmas
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Love: Pig in a blanket, turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches in the afternoon, roast spuds and purple cabbage!

Hate: Sprouts (what the f***?!) and Christmas pud
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had my first mince pie last night. Thank you Debenhams, only cost me £110.......

Love - food wise the lot. Big brekkies, roasts, cold cuts, parsnips, cranberry, satsumas, nuts, crisps, variety of cheeses, mince pies, pud, matchmakers, ferrero rocher, pigs in blankets, mash and picalilli, twiglits, quality st, doorstop sandwiches, bring it on.

Loathe - the fact that i love my grub so much i simply have no room left to have a beer
  • Options
    I did the chestnut pan last year DA9 - stuck it on the coals of the open fire. Picked it out of the fire and put it on it's little holder which it burnt through, shit myself and picked it up with an oven glove which it also burnt through dumped it in the cold sink then put it all in the bin! But love roast chestnuts with salt.

Love - Christmas dinner. Cold meats pickles and chips in our house on Boxing Day. Satsumas. Smoked Salmon. Stuffing my face with christmas buffet food throughout the day. generally being a gluttonous beast
    Hate - Over done Sprouts, Christmas pudding and the inlaws that try to modernise Christmas Dinner... for god sake leave it alone. Inlaws who don't eat again after the Christmas dinner, forcing me to steal food and leftovers form their fridge
  • Options
    Love: Turkey, Sausages in Bacon, stuffing, mmmmmmmmm salivating as I write.

Hate: Sprouts, uuuuuuuurgh the devils own snot balls, the very thought is making me heave!!!
    Mince Pies, used to love em, but Mum made a few hundred one Christmas when I was about ten, for a family gathering that never happened. So between
    us we stuffed the lot. I was so ill after, just the smell of them now now makes me want to chuck.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I did the chestnut pan last year DA9 - stuck it on the coals of the open fire. Picked it out of the fire and put it on it's little holder which it burnt through, shit myself and picked it up with an oven glove which it also burnt through dumped it in the cold sink then put it all in the bin! But love roast chestnuts with salt.

Only got the gas hob to do them with, how long do you recommend?

Someone else told me you should cut the top and tail off first or score them with a criss cross?

ps....anyone who does not like sprouts should be banned from having Christmas IMO
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I like carrols at xmas, mind you dont mind janes or linda`s either !

Cheese footballs ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my 83 yo mum gets em for me has done for donkeys and its become our traddition.

will cook a ham on Xmas eve mmmmmmmmmmmm

Fee range capon xmas day

brussels --- parsnips--------crispy roast tatties.

love cooking over crimbo --------do all the driving Xmas upto Xmas day about 7pm then its open hse if peeps wana come they can(not rabble from here tho !) but im on it and they can get home by their own means.

Napsy nope couldnt get in the big places re the UN crap out here.
  • Options
    loves - xmas pudding, cold meats & bubble & squeak on boxing day

hate - sprouts & parsnips
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I like carrols at xmas, mind you dont mind janes or linda`s either !

Cheese footballs ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my 83 yo mum gets em for me has done for donkeys and its become our traddition.

will cook a ham on Xmas eve mmmmmmmmmmmm

Fee range capon xmas day

brussels --- parsnips
    crispy roast tatties.

love cooking over crimbo
    do all the driving Xmas upto Xmas day about 7pm then its open hse if peeps wana come they can(not rabble from here tho !) but im on it and they can get home by their own means.

Napsy nope couldnt get in the big places re the UN crap out here.

Cheese footballs, same here fella, she wouldn't dare leave them out of the xmas shop....how do you eat yours?? LOL
  • Options
    Sprouts for me !!
    The more people hate them, the more for me !!!
  • Options
    DA9 - Yeah pierce the outside bit otherwise they have a habit of expoloding an covering the room in Chestnuts, and it bloody hurts if you're in the firing line! Cut them in a cross and when they are cooked the shell bit opens up a bit.

I'll have to go find a vendor for some, anyone know of where there are any based?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]DA9 - Yeah pierce the outside bit otherwise they have a habit of expoloding an covering the room in Chestnuts, and it bloody hurts if you're in the firing line! Cut them in a cross and when they are cooked the shell bit opens up a bit.

I'll have to go find a vendor for some, anyone know of where there are any based?

Cheers T

Asda sell small bags of chestnuts, and my guvnor buys chinese chestnuts at Dartford Market

ps...been told its quite traditional to include roast chestnuts with your sprouts for xmas lunch.