Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amdy Faye played again

Comments

• Options
    Apart from Iwelumo!
  • Options
    Lisbie ?
  • Options
    Michael Turner, Ricardo Fuller, Danny Shittu and lets not forget the great Ralph Milne who went on to play for Man U after failing miserably at the Valley.
  • Options
    Luke Young
  • Options
    ricardo fuller was only here on trial wasn't really "our player"

QA - Turner was garbage here but hats off tyo him he's turned it around - every club has had a player like him
  • Options
    so we should have kept Ralph Milne then ? and his beer belly.

The goonershit turned DOWN Keegan and Bremner both 2 small, and thats Billy not the twat Rory
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Michael Turner, Ricardo Fuller, Danny Shittu and lets not forget the great Ralph Milne who went on to play for Man U after failing miserably at the Valley.[/quote]

Tuner - correct, via Brentford - he's done well
    Shittu - hmmmmm, he isn't getting a game for Bolton - who are no better than the Charlton mid table side he couldn't establish himself in - so his career hasn't flourished
    Ralph Milne - Ferguson favourite - no way did his career flourish by being a sub for them for a bit

Basically - you have Turner and Iwelumo - and Wolves may not go up yet, so compared to his season for us last year - I wouldn't call it flourishing.

If they are the ONLY two you can think of - I suggest your comments are not very valid ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]
    Iwelumo - and Wolves may not go up yet, so compared to his season for us last year - I wouldn't call it flourishing.

He plays for a free scoring team who are top of the table whereas we finished mid table. And despite his amazing miss, he's also now getting regular call ups for his country. I'd call that flourishing.
  • Options
    So Iwelumo is the ONLY player to have done better since leaving us that we wanted to sell .....

Must be a Charlton thing then - either that or we keep buying a bag of sh1te who's pinnacle is playing for Charlton!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]So Iwelumo is the ONLY player to have done better since leaving us that we wanted to sell .....

Must be a Charlton thing then - either that or we keep buying a bag of sh1te who's pinnacle is playing for Charlton!

What are you on about, we've already established that Turner, Shittu and Young have done better since leaving us.
    Turner - premiership regular.
    Young - premiership regular for a team in the top 4.
    Shittu - admittedly not in the Bolton side regularly but since he left us he became an established championship defender deemed worthy of a move to a premiership club. A player who if put up for loan i reckon a fair number of teams in our league would be keen to sign. So again an improvement on where he was when he left us as i don't think he ever played for us did he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Add Primus as well, that's three Superclive and you only asked for one.
    Fuller BTW was at the Valley for around a year and we paid for him to have major back surgery. He played many reserve team games but it was decided that he wasn't good enough.

You could also add Andy Reid, Luke Young, Scott Parker, Darren Bent, Robert Lee,Lee Bowyer, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot etc.
    If we hadn't of wanted to sell any of them, they wouldn't have been sold. Truth is we wanted to sell them because we wanted the money.
    Anyway I think we're going off topic. The thread is about players who didn't do much at Charlton but are now performing far better away from the club. Big Chris, Lisbie, Faye, Boothroyd, Turner, Rommedahl,Jason Browne,Bryan Hughes are just some of the most recent examples.
  • Options
    Shittu I do not believe has furthered his career since we sold him - we were top 10 of the Premier.
  • Options
    We HAD to sell:

Robert Lee - otherwise we wouldn't be at the Valley
    Scott Parker - it's been time and time again discussed as to why we had to sell Scott
    Darren Bent - are you an idiot?! We ALL know why we had to sell Darren Bent
    Andy Reid - again, we HAD to sell him because we said we would - we definitely did not want to sell him
    Lee Bowyer - come on man, we had to sell him - he was sold for then what was the worlds' most expensive teenager and we were little old charlton

Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot? You are mad - we were going to go bust in those days - they kept us in business .......

Jeez .... I think it's bedtime in queensland isn't it?
  • Options
    Not every ex-player has improved oncethey left SE7:
    Darren Bent - left over a season and a half ago and only just re-gaining the form he showed for us.
    Scott Parker - five years ago I thought this guy would be an England regular, now the only thing he's mastered isthe square ball.
    Luke Young--currently playing left back and therefore out of position and doesn't look like adding to the England caps he won at Charlton.

As for Danny Shittu - tthere was oo much competition at the time when we were an established prem side (we had Rufus, Fish etc) and now he's is a journeyman player at an average Prem league side after having spent time at Watford.

Some players will improve when they leave, others won't and that comes down to a number of factors - age/experience as well as luck.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Shittu I do not believe has furthered his career since we sold him - we were top 10 of the Premier.

Of course he has. He was a reserve player who never played for us. Since then he's established himself as a championship defender, has played internationally and has also played a few times in the premier league for Bolton. Ask him if he thinks his career has improved since he left Charlton reserves and i wonder what he'll say.
  • Options
    No I'm definitely not an idiot.
    We had to sell them because we wanted the money. Therefore it was the boards choice, sell them or go bust. They wanted to sell rather than go bust. They wanted to sell.

So anyway what about Primus? what was it two first team games at the Valley, and he went on to become an established premiership defender at Portsmouth. Or doesn't he count either?
  • Options
    you've gone off topic lads because lets not lose sight of the fact AMDY FAYE is complete and utter toilet who has not gone and improved cos he left us he'll always be shit

:-)
  • Options
    That's right, we are not talking about Valley legends who ended up getting sold because we needed the money.

We're talking about players who were decent enough for other clubs before they signed for Charlton,
    failed to produce when they were here - but after they were sold on, have been transformed back into effective players for their new clubs.

That's the mystery.
  • Options
    Again - I don't think there ARE many who have been effective

Amdy Faye is NOT effective for Stoke etc etc etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Again - I don't think there ARE many who have been effective

Amdy Faye is NOT effective for Stoke etc etc etc

I think the question still has to be asked that he was a reasonably ok player for Pompey and Newcastle and is now getting into a premiership side (regardless of what style of football they play) but he couldn't perform for us, why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That is exactly the question.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Add Primus as well, that's three Superclive and you only asked for one.

Sorry QLA it's Supaclive, Superclive like me is a bit more rosey about things ;o)
  • Options
    He obviously isn't going to freeze his nuts off tonight like me then ! ;-)

CMON YOU REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS!
  • Options
    Hold on a second, Faye was barely OK at Pompey and was dire at Newcastle, go ask any Geordie what they thought about him.
    As Ledge says Stoke bypass the midfield so he just has to defend and compete in the air which suits him well.
    Don't forget that in the Bolton game when he played centre half and everyone says he played well that he still gave away a penalty!
  • Options
    I would have come if i had any money :o( I'm Poor BAD, BAD Times!
  • Options
    Faye is history. He didn't do it for us. Maybe he's doing it for Stoke, maybe not.

But he is playing in the Premier, on a Premier wage. And where are most of his Prem team mates now?
    Luke Young - Villa.
    Baby Bent - Spuds
    Herminator - Pompey, can't get into the side (ok - he is 34)
    A couple playing in top leagues in Europe - Rommers & Diawarra, perhaps

The rest, Championship or lower. And most of them we considered better players than Faye.
    Thank our lucky stars, we got some cash back and off the wage bill.
  • Options
    So anyway what about Primus? what was it two first team games at the Valley, and he went on to become an established premiership defender at Portsmouth. Or doesn't he count either?

Primus didn't go straight into a Premiership side, I can't recall his career path once he left Charlton, but I think he went to Brentford and at least one other club before ending up at Pompey and he was with them for a few years before they got promoted.
  • Options
    Primus played for Barnet as well
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Primus played for Barnet as well[/quote]

Yep, actually he left Charlton for Barnet, then went to Reading and onto Portsmouth. For most of his career he's played at a level similar to where we were at that time, or below. It was only the last couple of seasons when he was playing in the premiership and we were in the Championship that he has played at a level above Charlton.