Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ince for Charlton?

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2064653.ece

I personally can't see it...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    interesting you should say that...he was one of the first names that popped into my head, not necessarily for the 'sign me' factor, but because of availability. not sure he would be too concerned about a pay cut, he wasn't perturbed by the prospect of going into the lower leagues. i know blackburn were shite this year but i dont believe this should be too much of a dent to his credentials, he's a winner, and i reckon he is definately a name worth going for if at all possible. my preference is davies, however, and always has been. never understood why he didnt get it in the first place to be honest.
  • Options
    There are Pros and Cons with Ince, very hard one to weigh up really.

He did well with Macclesfield and MK Dons in the lower divisions, where we may indeed be headed, but there are lots of rumors about him being a real ego merchant and its hard to see how he would fit in at Charlton.

If we are going for an outsider, which I think we really need to, then Davies is my choice if Curbs is not available.
  • Options
    too be honest i dont think it could happem.

But if it did it wouldnt be to bad a choice, he is young has had success with little or no money, he has a pont to prove and the prem was a jump to far if your are interested Incey chuck your hat in we could do a lot worse

ooops i meant we have done a lot worse
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: markwebb22[/cite]interesting you should say that...he was one of the first names that popped into my head, not necessarily for the 'sign me' factor, but because of availability. not sure he would be too concerned about a pay cut, he wasn't perturbed by the prospect of going into the lower leagues. i know blackburn were shite this year but i dont believe this should be too much of a dent to his credentials, he's a winner, and i reckon he is definately a name worth going for if at all possible. my preference is davies, however, and always has been. never understood why he didnt get it in the first place to be honest.

He didn't get the job because he didn't want it!!
    RM and PV had long talks with him at The Valley and he said he and his agent needed to think about it overnight and would get back first thing in the morning.
    We booked them both into a local hotel....but they instead went straight back up north and didn't check in despite saying they'd meet us the following morning.
    Following morning NO calls from eiether of them...RM get's on the phone and cannot contact them for several hours and finds out they are no longer in London.....I believe RM eventualy managed to get hold of the agent ( Davies's phone being 'unavailable') and after several calls and sometime later he then informed us that it was a no...RM very annoyed (understandably), he has never spoken to Davies since(as far as I know) and is VERY unlikely to.....and who could blame him.
    Can you imagine those two working together....answers on a postcard webby!
  • Options
    I'm very surprised that more people don't know this story of Davies & Charlton. There is NO way that Richard Murray would ever support going back for him after the way he treated the club first time round. Everybody should just cross his name off their list of potential managers.
  • Options
    A friend and client of mine used to own a football club. The last time we met was just before Ince took the Blackburn job. He had only good things to say about Ince and tipped him for great sucess as a manager.

He said he commands respect and has a "presence when entering a room". Now that could be arrogance but it could be someone who has been there and done it. Still appears hungry to acheive as a manager plus I suspect he still has London roots.

Maybe the large step up to Rovers was too much? I also think Mark Hughes had over acheived there (bit like Curbs with us) and was a hard act to follow with a team that had to be changed.

I would be happy with Ince but not sure it will happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Why not?, Did very well with first 2 clubs on a very low budget, the Blackburn job was a promotion to soon for him but the Championship level is realistic and he just may fancy the challenge of getting this club back on its feet and proving he is not a managerial flop, we could do a whole lot worse thats for sure and we definitely can't carry on as we are at the moment.
  • Options
    This is something that on paper should excite me, but for some reason it just doesn't.

I'm simply not a fan of his.

I'll admit he did a good job at Macclesfield and MK Dons, though the latter i think is sadly a club on the rise and he may have caught it at a good time). But he just does not seem intelligent or articulate enough for me to be a successful manager, nor have the balanced personality needed. I fear he will fall into the 'great player, poor manager camp'.

Who was his number 2 at MK Dons ?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wasn't it ray matthias -- - might be wrong - he took him to blackburn as well.

he managed wigan and tranmere

**edit** just looked it up - it was ray mathias and he did take him to blackburn - so he'll be available soon as well whenBig Sam gets rid
  • Options
    This was one I mentioned a while ago as it was obvious he was eventaully gonna get the sack. My mind is so clouded now by negatitivity surrounding all things Charlton I have lost all perspective as think ANYONE could do better than the ones we have had since Curbs left, it's all about affordability I spose, but FFS Charlton get someone in before the New year...anyone !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we could do a whole lot worse than appoint Paul Ince right now. He failed at Blackburn, but I don't think he was ready for such a jump in his career. I'm sure the board must be considering their options and I reckon Ince will be on the shortlist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]I'm very surprised that more people don't know this story of Davies & Charlton. There is NO way that Richard Murray would ever support going back for him after the way he treated the club first time round. Everybody should just cross his name off their list of potential managers.

sorry but I disagree. If he is the best man for the job you have to put past differences aside. We want what is best for the Club at the present time and if that is Billy Davies then so be it. And the way he treated the Club ? Failed to return a few phone calls, unavailble whilst trying to make a pretty important decision? Perhaps he felt pressurised being hounded.
    In the end we appointed Dowie just to piss off Jordan so that episode ended pretty well for us didn't it.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]I'm very surprised that more people don't know this story of Davies & Charlton. There is NO way that Richard Murray would ever support going back for him after the way he treated the club first time round. Everybody should just cross his name off their list of potential managers.

It's not even as if it's a secret - the story was given as evidence in court by Billy Davies' brother-in-law (who is is his manager) when Crystal Palace sued Ian Dowie. But then it wasn't widely reported at the time. I don't think any hard feelings remain from either party, though.

As for Ince - would find him hard to stomach for his Franchise FC connections, but beggars can't be choosers and I suppose we could do worse. Okay, he did a good job on what I imagine was a pittance at Macclesfield, but he was on big money from both MK Dons and Blackburn - we'd struggle to match his wages at either club. And we've already been bruised by one ego-driven chancer...
  • Options
    Ince reminds me of Dowie.

Meteoric rise from lower leagues - just like Dowie

Not articulate enough and moved to a job out of his depth - just like Dowie

Got sacked early in the season - just like Dowie

So whats Iain Dowie up to now? oh that's right - deservedly unemployed
  • Options
    fair comparison Swis
  • Options
    He frankly worries me. I just have a niggling feeling that his personality is far too ego based, a hint of the megalomaniac about him.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ince wouldn't be at the top of my list. Davies, Adkins, Poyet/Sbragia for me.
  • Options
    Think the board will be looking for an up and coming lower league manager with some experience but not too much in the way of " personal profile " and baggage. Seems to rule out Ince imho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Think the board will be looking for an up and coming lower league manager with some experience but not too much in the way of " personal profile " and baggage. Seems to rule out Ince imho.

Tilson,Adkins,Jackett ?
  • Options
    Are we sure that the board will ditch Parky? It looks to me as though it is looking to 'strengthen' the squad with Parky at the helm. Wouldn't a board have wanted a new manager in by now so that he can pick his own players in January?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Are we sure that the board will ditch Parky? It looks to me as though it is looking to 'strengthen' the squad with Parky at the helm. Wouldn't a board have wanted a new manager in by now so that he can pick his own players in January?

yes it does look that way BUT on the other hand if we had won a few games and hauled ourselves up the table he would have probably have got the job and would have had to have been prepared for the window opening. The fact that the Board are dithering can't be denied, imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Ince wouldn't be at the top of my list. Davies, Adkins, Poyet for me.

I rate Adkins.

No hopers Scunthorpe won the Division One Championship on very little resources.
    Okay, they were relegated in their first season, but he had them playing with passion and fight, and decent enough football.

Now they are back on top of their Division and a very strong bet to be champions for the 2nd time in 3 seasons

And he made Kelly Youga perform to quality standards.
    Anyone who can perform that miracle should be snapped up at once!
  • Options
    I like Tilson. Jackett yes, but I think because if we could stay up and stop Millwall coming up, it'd be a double whammy - but then again, the board did that with Dowie and look what happened ....
  • Options
    So we are gearing up for relegation now , looking at two division one managers, are they managers that would take us forward, should we not look to get a manager in whose first job is to maintain our status in this league and rebuild over the next two seasons in the hope to get us back in the next three years, with all due respect to both Tilson and Jackett i couldnt see them doing either of them tasks, we need an experienced manager to give the whole place a lift, from the players to the fans
  • Options
    Ince would be anm intriguing choice, but all through his career he's jumped clubs at the first sign of a pay rise. West Ham to Man U, and when Man U initially decided not to sign him he got himself photographed in the papers in a Man U shirt. Managerially he moved on quickly from Macclesfield to MK Dons and then Blackburn. Are we sure that he'd hang around or take the next decent offer that comes his way?

I'd sooner we go for a Curbs type manager, someone who sees Charlton as a real opportunity and knows he needs three/four seasons to prove himself before finding the next job.
  • Options

How did we get treated badly?

WE told him that if he wanted the job,he must let Mills bring the players in and he must have Reed as his number two.
    He rightly said
    "f*#k off! That'll never work"

I think we all know the bell end that said it would.And we've been paying for it ever since.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not true, so I'm calling bollocks on that
  • Options
    We tried an ego last time we were in this position a couple of seasons ago and it didn't work.

Right now he has baggage to carry, people in football made the point he was taking criticism as a black thing etc. We have enough baggage of our own so probably best not having him at CAFC.

I am sure he will get another lower league club and have success but probably needs a short break to get his mind right.
  • Options
    Davies had one bit of success at Derby and took the worst side up that has achieved the elevation. Regardless of whether he wronged us or the other way round I personally think he would be yet another big mistake for this club right now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

How did we get treated badly?

WE told him that if he wanted the job,he must let Mills bring the players in and he must have Reed as his number two.
    He rightly said
    "f*#k off! That'll never work"

I think we all know the bell end that said it would.And we've been paying for it ever since.

Not true, so I'm calling bollocks on that

as Rothko says totally not true.