Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To those who think "we are already down"

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Oggy Red posted this (below) on another thread but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

Have a read and if you still want to throw the towel in when we are "only" five points adrift with 20 games to go then fine, off you trot. We'd probably be better off without you anyway, truth be told. The rest of us will just get on with it - we might get out of it and we might not, time will tell. Nobody is happy at the moment, but it's how you deal with adversity that really marks the men out from the boys.

Oggy Red wrote:

Okay, I don't know any more than the next man.

We haven't won in 16 games and if that should continue much longer, then we're hardly likely to make it easy for ourselves to stay up. But this board is a feeding frenzy of people who are so caught up in the emotional despair of things that they refuse to see there is always a tomorrow.

I think we're all agreed that Parky's tenure is not working. But we've 20 players in the squad who've previously proved themselves at Championship level or higher.

It's not necessarily the ability of the players that's not working.
But it is the mentality of the place that's failing.

These players need to be re-organised and knit into a new unit, that wind of new life that needs to change the stench of defeatism that is rotting the place.

It has to be a new management team or bust.

And that new manager, if appointed soon will see that we're currently 5 points from safety, yet to play ALL the teams in the lower half of the table.

He won't see that Charlton are relegated already. He'd think that ludicrous.

Comments

• Options
    We need 10 wins -------Anybody see where they are coming from ?
  • Options
    I dont believe we are down, I feel it will come good (enough to get out of trouble, nothing else) eventually, take the rough with the smooth.
  • Options
    I totally agree, points re there to be played for but we need radical surgery within the team to make it a much more productive unit- I really hope we get to keep McKelevly! as part of any deal that takes Varney to Derby full time, as he has the spirit that the rest of the team need to match.
  • Options
    You can talk yourself into accepting the worst, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy , or you keep going, while there is a good chance it can still change.

So I'm with Off it
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to think we can turn this around.
    The truth is that we have become use to losing and throwing in the towel.
    Lets look on the bright side. We can all go to real grounds not the plastic ones of the championship next year.
  • Options
    You never see a poor bookmaker............What are they saying ?
  • Options
    im fed up with the false dawns the cornors we are just about to turn the runs we havnt gone on oor looked likely to.

i want to go down with a fight ----------- to have a go ----------- not rolling over like a puppy-----------to give it a go with our own players and kids.

we are shit an easy easy touch ----------- lets f**king change that if nothing else.
  • Options
    It aint over until my ex wife sings, 20 or so games left, possibility of a few squad changes next month, maybe a swap around of manager/coaching staff etc, all still to play for IMO.
  • Options
    Nothing is inevitable in life except death and taxes (was it Dr Johnson said that?)

What is undeniable, however, is that by ''refusing to be rushed'' into appointing a manager eight games ago when Pardew went, we have made it very, very difficult for ourselves. It reminds me of Gordon Brown nearly calling a general election in Sept/Oct 2007,which he probably would have won, but dithering and then a few months later finding that the Tories have a 20 per cent lead...

Water under the bridge, in both cases. But I guess if we had a manager mad enough to believe he can save us (Paulo?), and if he could somehow inject that belief into the players, then who knows? Still improbable. But I agree, not impossible.
  • Options
    When you have eliminated the impossible what is left no matter how improbable is the solution !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so we r f**ked then ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]When you have eliminated the impossible what is left no matter how improbable is the solution !

In that case, I think you'll find that the answer is "a blue wilderbeast". Where do I go for my prize?
  • Options
    Precisely my dear Watson
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]It aint over until my ex wife sings, 20 or so games left, possibility of a few squad changes next month, maybe a swap around of manager/coaching staff etc, all still to play for IMO.[/quote] Think she is gargling and getting ready to give us a chorus
  • Options
    Well said Oggy. I was beginning to think everyone had given up.

This team is good enough to win a few games in a row and then how different things will look. This run won't go on forever and with the players we have we can give anyone a game. It all starts with forest...
  • Options
    This team is good enough to win a few games in a row ........FFS We can`t win ONE !!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Precisely my dear Watson

Ah but who's Moriarty in this mess?
  • Options
    My Moriarty is without a doubt ZABEEL
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not down yet...technically true, but where are the performances to get the points coming from anyone? Are we suddenly about to turn into the Arsenal team of the "invincibles" era? Let's get real boys and girls, we're screwed if we don't start winning now starting the very next league game against Forest at home . Time is a luxury we don't have anymore.
  • Options
    I've probably said this before, but what the hell! If the players had the attitude that "there's no point, we're already down", we'd be going bananas. And if we're not going to accept that attitude from those who are just being paid by the club, why should we accept it from each other, who profess to love the club through thick and thin?

One of the big problems the players have at the moment is self belief. They're generally OK until something goes against us (the opposition scoring a goal or some contentious referreeing decision) and then they crumble. About the only exception to that I can think of this season is the Derby game, where the opposition equalised and we restored our lead practically straight afterwards. I don't think it was any coincidence that the support that night was absolutely stonking. No-one's going to deny that it's not looking good at the moment, but as Goonerhater says, if we go down, we've got to go down fighting. Fans included.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]This team is good enough to win a few games in a row ........FFS We can`t win ONE !!!!!

'Once you get one you'll get more'

We should sing that more often
  • Options
    I don't want a win (although I'd be ridiculously happy if we got one), I don't even want a draw, I just want the players to show some effin effort.
  • Options
    [cite] Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]This team is good enough to win a few games in a row ........FFS We can`t win ONE !!!!!

exactly, once we do get that first win it'll give everyone a boost and lift a massive weight off everyone.

and we should sing that more :-)
  • Options
    Certainly is not looking good at the moment, but it's not over yet. We are continually moaning about the players giving up before the game is over (as guilty as the next person on that one) but it seems many of us are happy to do just the same and accept that relegation is inevitable, it's not, we all need to get some self belief not just the players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

exactly, once we do get that first win it'll give everyone a boost and lift a massive weight off everyone.

and weshouldsing that more :-)

A lot of it is a mental thing, down to confidence and belief. When you're not confident you make a lot more mistakes, do things you wouldn't normally do, look at Bailey. It's not a 'lack of passion', but he completely lost confidence, and like Varney if anything he was trying too hard and trying to force things to happen.
  • Options
    Very interesting.

So who gonna offer me 11/8 us to stay up?
  • Options
    sorry, be relegated...
  • Options
    I don't agree with the opening post. We are relegated already and we have no chance whatsoever of staying up.

Every week I read how we will turn it round and win. I nearly fainted when we took the lead today but said at half time to my work colleagues that we would throw it away second half. It was obvious.

I state now we will not beat Nottm Forest.

I've never felt so disinterested and I used to absolutely love going. After 20 years of support including going to nearly every home game and some away games too, I'm starting to lose interest now and it's only because we just have "loser" written all over us. Getting relegated and fighting would be acceptable but we really are total shit I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I've never lost interest beacuse we are shite & never will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]I don't agree with the opening post. We are relegated already and we have no chance whatsoever of staying up.

Every week I read how we will turn it round and win. I nearly fainted when we took the lead today but said at half time to my work colleagues that we would throw it away second half. It was obvious.

I state now we will not beat Nottm Forest.

I've never felt so disinterested and I used to absolutely love going. After 20 years of support including going to nearly every home game and some away games too, I'm starting to lose interest now and it's only because we just have "loser" written all over us. Getting relegated and fighting would be acceptable but we really are total shit I'm afraid.

So you're going to give up egh...another fairweather supporter...just what we need mate...just what we need.
    Come on Screamer get a grip...is that glass really half empty matey?