Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Righty tighty, lefty loosey" and other memory aids

Comments

• Options
    ASSUME Nothing otherwise you will make a ASS out of U & ME
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]But you've spelt stalctities wrong like everybody else in this thread, Bing! I repeat it's not stalaGtites...it's with a 'c' !

I do indeed remember your n- o- r- w- i -c -h, though Bing - although that one contains a mispelling, too - knickers off ready when I come home, so it should really have been korwich all these years...

Yes you're right but the G wasn't the memory jogger for me, it was the tite (or tight).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Norwich

nickers off ready when i come home

We've obviously moved in similar circles.

Hopefully not the same pair in the same home....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Never Eat Shredded Wheat

North East South West

We used to say Never Eat Sausages Wednseday!!
  • Options
    Sorry H, us under 30's have perfect memories and dont have to rely on memory aides.. ;-)
  • Options
    A historical one for farm labourers who joined the army in WW1 who couldn't tell their left foot from their right foot. They placed a strand of hay on their left foot and a strand of straw on their right and it became "hay foot, straw foot, hay foot, straw foot".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Norwich

nickers off ready when i come home

We've obviously moved in similar circles.

Hopefully not the same pair in the same home....

lol!
  • Options
    never eat chocolate, eat sausage sandwiches and remain young

How to spell necessary
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Have you hit the bottle early or is this some form of street talk us oldens dont understand?

Well you are older than me but not by that much.

Which way to tighten or loosen a screw/bolt
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]An old neighbour of ours who was into boating taught meno port left in the bottleas a way to remember which was which starboard/port.

Another old one I remember from many years back -I fri the end of my friend. I told my daughter that one the other day, god Ii feel old!

Explain CFW, how does that one work.

Another one is fork and left both have four letters while knife and right have five.
  • Options
    Port is left, starboard right, so 'no port left in the bottle' puts the two in the same sentence. Take it that's what you meant?

Also for necessary - one cofee two sugars. Works for me every time.

I can remember the phrase Richard of york gave battle in vain but can't think what it referred to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Port is left, starboard right, so 'noport leftin the bottle' puts the two in the same sentence. Take it that's what you meant?

Also for necessary - one cofee two sugars. Works for me every time.

I can remember the phrase Richard of york gave battle in vain but can't think what it referred to

Yes, that's what I meant. Went straight over my head first time.

Richard of York etc is the colours of the rainbow
  • Options
    "Every Good Boy Deserves Food" - I knew it as Every Good Boy Deserves Faith - and it's the notes on a stave.

Sticking to a music theme, there's also "Every Average Dancer Gets Better Eventually"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]"

Sticking to a music theme, there's also "Every Average Dancer Gets Better Eventually"

I know that as "every average drummer gets better eventually" which sought of made more sense as to what a guitarist would say.

"Drummers, I f****** shit 'em" as Reg Presley once said
  • Options
    when wiring a plug..... Brown = bottom right, Blue = bottom left and Daffodiles grow straight up.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]and it's the notes on a stave.

To be entirely accurate it's the notes correponding with the stave lines of the treble clef, the stave being made up of the treble and base clefs. So I ask again what is FACE?
  • Options
    Although it was around 45 years ago and I was absolutely bloody awful at maths I've always remembered 'O A Mad Tiger' for opposite over adjacent means tangent. I didn't know then what it was all about and still don't: never,ever had to use it or On Her Majesty's Service means opposite over hypotenuse means sin! Something to do with logs, whatever they are.
  • Options
    Kings Play Cards On Fat Girls Stomachs

Classification:
    Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species...

Loads of other science ones I won't bore you with!
  • Options
    HHeLiBeBCNOFNe NaMgAlSiPSCLArKCa

First 20 elements of the periodic table (say as two words)

Bye Bye - Hello = Buy High Sell Low

To remember which rates to use as a foreign exchange cashier/bank clerk
  • Options
    A
    Durex
    Is
    Disposable
    After
    Sex

That was the only way I could remember what trainers I had on
  • Options
    King Philip Came Over From Germany Swimming - Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

Is there a new way to remember the planets since pluto became obsolete...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Push off early tomorrow's Saturday (POETS day) was the motto of the post office management team from 1965 on.....eventually becoming POET, a DAY)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]when wiring a plug..... Brown = bottom right, Blue = bottom left and Daffodiles grow straight up.[/quote]

Is that why your not out on site anymore mate?
  • Options
    The word Diversity has entered our vocabulary our the last few years. If you work in the public sector, they generally ask you questions about it in interviews so the acronym I use for diversity is...

Different
    Individuals
    Valuing
    Each Other
    Regardless of
    Skin
    Intellect
    Talent or
    Years
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]when wiring a plug..... Brown = bottom right, Blue = bottom left and Daffodiles grow straight up.[/quote]

Is that why your not out on site anymore mate?[/quote]

YEp LOL
  • Options
    ARITHMETIC sp - A Red Indian Thought He Might Eat Toffee In Class
  • Options
    Can't remember what BODMAS was but a cold, depressing feeling came over me when I read it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]and it's the notes on a stave.

To be entirely accurate it's the notes correponding with the stave lines of the treble clef, the stave being made up of the treble and base clefs. So I ask again what is FACE?

I stand corrected!

FACE - the notes falling between the stave lines (of the treble clef?)?

There are a few acronyms where first aid is concerned. e.g:

FISH SHAPED - causes of unconciousness
    CLIP GG - wounds

I also had to know the categories of drugs banned in sport when I did my GCSE's (many moons ago), and remembered them as BANDS
  • Options
    Enjoyed this thread.

Mnemonics - a guide

fill your boots!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]FISH SHAPED - causes of unconciousness
    CLIP GG - wounds
    DR ABC, learnt it on the FA's emergency aid course
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]A
    Durex
    Is
    Disposable
    After
    Sex

That was the only way I could remember what trainers I had on

All Day I Dream About Sex, or After Dinner I Did A Sh1T.