Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Righty tighty, lefty loosey" and other memory aids

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sir Henry wrote : ''Every Good Boy Deserves Food...''

When I started upon my piano grades half a century ago, it used to be taught as Every Good Boy Deserves Favour...and it wasn't just me. Others of my generation were clearly taught the same, such as Tom Stoppard : I've just been given a pair of tickets for his play of the same name at the National Theatre...
  • Options
    I have on the best authority , my music teaching clever clogs daughter, that Good Boys Deserve Football Always refers to the notes on the line of the Bass Clef and All Cats Eat Grass refers to notes in spaces. No questions please: I've got one of my heads after listening to her explaining it all!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Sir Henry wrote : ''Every Good Boy Deserves Food...''

When I started upon my piano grades half a century ago, it used to be taught as Every Good Boy Deserves Favour...and it wasn't just me. Others of my generation were clearly taught the same, such as Tom Stoppard : I've just been given a pair of tickets for his play of the same name at the National Theatre...

I was taught the same by my piano teacher, I wonder if we had the same one Nigel? Mine was called Mr H Dresser.
  • Options
    Sonar - SOund Navigational And Ranging.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bing wrote: "I was taught the same by my piano teacher, I wonder if we had the same one Nigel? Mine was called Mr H Dresser."

Not the same teacher, Bing. My mother was a professonial piano teacher. Needless to say, she taught me herself from the age of three to 13. I hated it, because with the piano teacher residing under the same bloody roof there was no chance of skimping on daily practice! I honestly don't think I was allowed a single day off from practicing in ten years I remember being forced to play even on Christmas Day.

I've been embittered and twisted ever since!

ps: bet my mother knew your Mr Dresser, though. They were a proper ruddy mafia, those cruel and unbending piano teachers...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]ps: bet my mother knew your Mr Dresser, though. They were a proper ruddy mafia, those cruel and unbending piano teachers...

He was a cruel man, he used to crush my hand BEFORE I started the lesson with his demon handshake. He used to hit my fingers with a pencil if I hit the wrong note. Pyschologically I don't think I ever really recovered......:o)
  • Options
    Naughty Elephants Squirt Water
  • Options
    Port Out Starboard Home

POSH, apparently the rich passengers had this stamped on their tickets, so they knew to put them in the best cabins on their journey on ships.