Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Five Songs of .... Billy Bragg

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Read the link

Roy Hattersley

No such thing as a left wing patriot?

Nice look Muse. But Jesus Daily Mail readers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Read the link

Roy Hattersley

No such thing as a left wing patriot?

Nice look Muse. But Jesus Daily Mail readers.

ok, pity it's the Mail, but the article is good
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Henry why would i want to spit at anyone ? let alone your Dad ? Do i believe that anyone who is left wing is not a patriot -------------yep 100% --- if thats ok with you !! and if it aint tough shit. Your thought poilce cant stop me thinking that.

As for the right on left wing "patriots" here is a quote from one of your own heros.

"In left wing circles it is always felt there is something slighly disgraceful in being an Englishman and its a duty to snigger at every English institution-----------" George Orwell

and while red wedge on here twist their collective nickers--- remember post the election when various very wise left wingers said how they hated Tory Boy and his Oxbridge background-- well something for you to think on comrades

Milliband numer one educated Oxford
    Milliband number two educated Oxford
    Ed (iwarned everyone about mass imigartion) Balls educated Oxford
    A Brnham educated Cambridge
    Diane Abbot educated Cambridge
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The problem with right-wingers is they are unattractive. Compare Melanie Phillips (probably the most famous right wing female in the world) and Cameron Diaz (a famous leftie). Says it all.
  • Options
    One definition of Patriot is 'One who loves his country, and zealously supports its authority and interests. --Bp. Hall. [1913 Webster]'

Not left or right and like it or not Henry and Goonerhater this definition fits you both.
  • Options
    billy bragg is pants
  • Options
    In summary, I love the Victim of Geography album. I bought it while in NYC and strangely it made me feel homesick for an England I didn't really recognise.
    Most people focus on his voice or his lyrics.
    I really rate his guitar playing.
    From the Back to Basics album I particularly like Love Gets Dangerous.
    An ex girlfriend who couldn't stand BB had it on a mixtape of her favourite tunes. She didn't know it was him!
  • Options
    George Orwell! That will be George Orwell the well known left wing patriot that you are quoting as proof that left wing people can't be patriots.

Even you Roy must be able to see the slight contradiction there.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Milliband numer one educated Oxford
    Milliband number two educated Oxford
    Ed (iwarned everyone about mass imigartion) Balls educated Oxford
    A Brnham educated Cambridge
    Diane Abbot educated Cambridge

Goonerhater, never let the facts get in the way of a good headline eh!

Not that I particuIarly care about any of them but all of the above (bar Ed Balls who went to a minor private school after state primary) were educated at state schools prior to going to university. So they earnt their places through intelligence not through wealth/position. David Cameroon and Nick Clegg, by comparison, went to the top fee paying schools in the country and then on to Oxbridge.

Glad to know that all my family going back over 100 years that have served and continue to serve in the UK forces can not actually be patriotic as they are a bit lefty. Does that mean that Oswald Moseley was a patriot, as he was a lot of a righty?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

Glad to know that all my family going back over 100 years that have served and continue to serve in the UK forces can not actually be patriotic as they are a bit lefty.

In GH's eyes, yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Does that mean that Oswald Moseley was a patriot, as he was a lot of a righty?
    Well, he certainly wanted a united federal Europe long before most other people! ;)

Back on topic, St. Swithun's Day is one of the most beautiful songs ever...
  • Options
    comedy gold.
  • Options
    i only came to read this thread for the first time as it had been sunk.
  • Options
    Me too B. Even though i quite like Billy Bragg, I probably only know five songs anyway.

Way over the top this time GH - I know what I am too, and your right wing thought police can't stop me thinking that either...
  • Options
    Not a big fan of the geezer, but saw him at Camden Crawl a couple of years ago. Played with no backing band, just an electric guitar, and silenced the room. Amazing stage presence...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: YTS[/cite]Not a big fan of the geezer, but saw him at Camden Crawl a couple of years ago. Played with no backing band, just an electric guitar, and silenced the room. Amazing stage presence...

Silenced them? They were all asleep!