Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come On Everybody We're All Hurting

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
I have been mulling things over in the last few days. What worries me is that for entirely understandable reasons there seems to a great deal of disharmony within this forum. Some of this has resulted in posts accusing people within the club of not caring about where we are or how we feel.

In recent days we have had acrimonious posts about the O/S, insults are flying around, mainly directed at finding somebody to blame for our collective misery.

Before we reach out and hurl more insults at whoever we blame for this, lets ask ourselves the question: did any person responsible for the running of the club, director or manager deliberately decide to get us bottom of the second tier of football?

Then lets ask ourselves another question: Is our league position in any way the fault of the clubs administrative staff?

When we are about to have a pop at a fellow lifer who has a different take on what has gone wrong, lets ask ourselves the question: is this person in any way responsible for the plight the club is now in, or do they just hold a different opinion? If they do hold a different opinion, lets ask ourselves the question: is holding that opinion going to make things better, worse or have no effect on what happens this season?

I am just a bit concerned that we are turning against one another in our frustration and anger. There may be time in the future where we have to fight again for the club we love, like some did in the 1980's and 90's. I am not sure that time is now, but if it comes, the more united we are the better.

The Directors of the club have on a number of occasions stood at a cross roads, without the detailed map of hindsight and made some good faith decisions regarding the future of the club. Sadly they made some mistakes. Who is not to say that any of us, sitting where they sat, with the brief they received, would not have made the same decisions? I have sat on Boards where really tough decisions have been made. Did we always make the right ones? No, but I can say that we took the decisions in good faith, based on advice and without the benefit of hindsight. I think that is also the case here.

Personally I feel that they made a number of mistakes starting with Dowie and have made another mistake in Parky’s appointment especially given his temporary period. It is the bizarre decisions of our last two managers that I especially take issue with and the failure to play two strikers when none of those who have played regularly have made any impact. However I do not believe that any of our managers have deliberately tried to wreck the clubs chances; they've just made poor decisions at the end of the day.

Everybody is hurting, directors, managers, players, staff and fans so lets not turn against one another. If we have criticisms, try to make them measured and not laced with personal abuse or scatter-gun insults.

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you f**k off.

ONLY JOKING !!!!!!
  • Options
    An excellent reasoned piece.

I hope everyone digests it and considers. Hopefully we can all move forward more harmoniously
  • Options
    All true Bing, and fair points. Every body is hurting over what has happened to our club in such a short space of time. I'm sure that it's nothing personal between us Charlton lifers, just overwhelming frusration. Everybody has different feelings and opinions and could make suggestions as to what changes we would make to try to improve results. I agree with you 100% about the situation re our strikers. I know i've often championed Dicksons case and if he is sold without even being given one start, that sums up the Charlton of now. When things aren't working, you should try everything you can to improve things. The last manager and now this one, have stubbornly refused to try the one striker we have who has the confidence and potentially the ability to score regularly. I can accept Parky failing only if he is seen to be doing everything possible to succeed. I would love to ask him face to face ,to tell me the real reason why he continues to pick strikers who prove over and over again they cant score.
  • Options
    although I agree with he sentemen of your post Bing, i would echo BexleyRed's point about Dicko & also add one myself:

after the Sheff Utd game when Pardew had to go, most posters on here were saying he same thing; bring in someone new NOW. A new broom and all that. No faffing around with caretakers as we had done that previously wih Les Reed and it didn't work.We all said that Parky woud be tarred with the same brush as Pardew and seeing as he had been his no 2 he should go too.

This wasn't hindsight. We were saying this the same evening as Pardew was getting the boot. We could all ee it, sowhycoudn't the board. I don't believe that we are all cleverer than them, I believe that he answer is all down to money - not wantin to pay off Parky and as Murray said he other week, use that money for transfers instead. Ashort sighted approach that is going to cost us more, much more, in the long run.

We hate saying it, but (to the board or directors)....................WE TOLD YOU SO
  • Options
    Thats probably true Golfie, and it's frustrating to see things which they apparently miss.

I'm not being an apologist for the Board, I believe they have made a mistake with Parky. However they are not fools either and there would no doubt have been a robust discussion about whether to go for him or look elsewhere, they all sat round a table and made a decision for better or for worse. My guess is, and it's only a guess, is that Parky was always going to be given the job and they never seriously looked elsewhere. I think this is a throw back to the Curbs leaving days, when things went tits up because they had to go out and recruit an "unknown". So they had a No 2 lined up to take over. Parky was on the original list of preferred candidates when Dowie got the job.

My problem is they are trying to solve the last problem instead of the current one. Whereas in the Curbs days, it would have been great for him to have handed over to a no 2 because of the relative success we had at the time. Now after a disaster, I would have thought the worst thing you could do was appoint one of the failed team.

That said, there may have been other reasons like the club really is potless and Parky truely is all we could afford.
  • Options
    We r all feeling it at the moment but we like most of you older fans have pointed out have been in bad situations b4 and came out of it and many of us younger fans not being gratefull we have a nice ground we can go and support our team and not had 2 travel 2 places like upton park or that dump near norwood.Things could be alot worse and although our current situation is bleak im looking forward 2 the palace game and the battle of the last 18 games.Will still be going if we go down and if we were playing welling a couple of years after that.CHARLTON TILL I DIE!
  • Options
    b4.....2....language Timothy!
  • Options
    Its all a bit 'boring' I wish CAFC were a welcome distraction to lifes other issues, but I guess you can't have everything, eh.
  • Options
    Well said Bing.

What has disappointed me most about our slide over the past few years is not that we are losing or that we look like we are going to be in League one (although both hurt a lot) but how the situation has revelled a really nasty, negative, vitriolic and unforgiving face of our fan base.

I'm never embarrassed to say that I'm a Charlton supporter regardless of how the team is doing but I cringe sometimes when I hear and read our own fans.

Up the Addicks
  • Options
    Spot on, sir. We can be a great club again if we get rid of the unforgiving fan base...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Spot on, sir. We can be a great club again if we get rid of the unforgiving fan base...

A sad but perfect example of what I meant.

A statement deliberately twisted for no positive purpose, which adds nothing and which totally misrepresents or maybe just totally missed what was being said.

Well done and thank you for proving my point quite so quickly and completely.
  • Options
    'Spot on, sir. We can be a great club again if we get rid of the unforgiving fan base... '

and their money.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How twisted? Given everything that is wrong with our club right now, why do you chose this moment to post an attack on the fans who dare to protest at what is going on? And in a thread in which the opening post asks us to avoid "scatter-gun insults" of fellow fans?

I think I'm missing something here because I don't understand the agenda.When you were the fans director, is that what you told the rest of the board - that many of the people you represented made you cringe?

Or have I misunderstood or misrepresented the word 'cringe' ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonsteve21[/cite]We r all feeling it at the moment but we like most of you older fans have pointed out have been in bad situations b4 and came out of it and many of us younger fans not being gratefull we have a nice ground we can go and support our team and not had 2 travel 2 places like upton park or that dump near norwood.Things could be alot worse and although our current situation is bleak im looking forward 2 the palace game and the battle of the last 18 games.Will still be going if we go down and if we were playing welling a couple of years after that.CHARLTON TILL I DIE!

Good post, Steve21.

Despite all the doom and gloom, the bottom line is there's always another day, another game.
    That's the reality, whatever the self-styled 'Realists' might say.

Personally, I can't see Parky changing things round - but just supposing the Board or even he decides that the best thing for everybody, including himself, is to go ....... then a new man, new energy might change everything. Or not.

We don't know.

And we have seen it all before - failed relegation fights and also successful ones. ....... where we've done Houdini escapes when all had already seemed impossible.

And if we have failed, it's only been a matter of time before things changed again.

Change is the only certainty in life,
  • Options
    ''Change is the only certainty in life'' - Don't forget taxes, Oggy!
  • Options
    Marvin Gaye said "there are only three things in life that's for sure, taxes, death and trouble"
  • Options
    Bing said everything IMO. There are fans who are desperately sad, fans who are angry, fans who are lashing out and fans who just keep very quiet. Some have supported for countless years, some like myself joined much later, some live in SE London, some live or moved to other counties and countries. The only thing in common is that we are fans/supporters of Charlton. I do not for one moment think that any of the board did anything other than act in what they thought, at the time, was in the best interests of the club. They will have made mistakes, I've noticed that I can make mistakes as well but people have forgiven me and stood by me in difficult times. My genuine worry is that the board will begin to wonder why on earth they are bothering when all they get is critiscism with quite a bit of it being rather abusive and unpleasant. As I've aged, I've noticed that society as a whole appears to be less forgiving with abuse and derision seemingly totally acceptable. I think we are much impoverished by it.
  • Options
    stilladdicted, i don't think i have ever agreed with a post as much as that one. Sums up perfectly what i'm thinking at this moment in time.

I certainly don't want to pillorise and hound people who have over the years put good money into our club, largely for the right reasons, and in my heart have been forgiving them for certain mistakes that have been proved mistakes in hindsight.

However, The problem in my conscience is that i believe that mistakes are STILL being made, with alarming regularity, and at present i can't honestly see decisions becoming 'good decisions' again because my faith in those in charge is fading rapidly. I honestly don't want it to though, because i feel if there was any form of sustained campaign to force out those at the top, we'll be in a far worse situation because i can't see a viable alternative at the moment.

The type of new investors i would desire to invest in the club (UK individuals) simply would not invest in our current model while we maintain our current liabilities and league status.

I simply can't see a happy ending at present, and the reason i believe we are starting to see infighting and acrimony is because there is no real obvious path to a better future.
  • Options
    A very buddhist approach Bing, and a highly commended post, but this kind of approach was seen in the Luton Town fanzines in years gone by. My in-laws are great fans of that club, the majority wanted to remain positive and the resulting inaction led them to where they are today.
    Did anyone see the Swiss University report on why so many more British passengers died proportional to American passengers? Its all well and good being positive and polite, but it doesnt always end in the best possible solution.
    Waggott out now!
  • Options
    On the Titanic, I should have said!
    But Waggott out now anyway.
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    ''Did anyone see the Swiss University report on why so many more British passengers died proportional to American passengers?''

'' ...on the Titanic, I should have said!''

I did wonder what you were on about there for a minute, Arthur! I'd just started to take up the brace position for a crash landing. Now I realise you were actually telling us to run for the lifeboats...

Joking apart, I think you make a very valid point : ''this kind of approach was seen in the Luton Town fanzines in years gone by... the majority wanted to remain positive and the resulting inaction led them to where they are today.''
  • Options
    Oh yeah?

"In May 2003, Luton was taken over by a mysterious consortium. Days afterwards, manager Kinnear and his assistant Mick Harford were both sacked. This sparked a protest by Luton fans, who demanded their instant re-appointment. The protest was fierce and led to the resignations of new chairman Roger Terrell and vice-chairman Lee Power."

So they protested and were fierce, so it could be argued the ACTION led them to where they are today.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    However, The problem in my conscience is that i believe that mistakes are STILL being made, with alarming regularity, and at present i can't honestly see decisions becoming 'good decisions' again because my faith in those in charge is fading rapidly. I honestly don't want it to though, because i feel if there was any form of sustained campaign to force out those at the top, we'll be in a far worse situation because i can't see a viable alternative at the moment.

The type of new investors i would desire to invest in the club (UK individuals) simply would not invest in our current model while we maintain our current liabilities and league status.

I simply can't see a happy ending at present, and the reason i believe we are starting to see infighting and acrimony is because there is no real obvious path to a better future.

Swap Charlton for the UK economy and you've diagnosed the sh1t we're in better than any bbc closet fabian can bring themselves to admit. Seriously i think thats a genius analysis.
  • Options
    WSS 2003 was after the ship had sunk
    If anyone could have saved them it was Kinnear, though they were a good 5 years on from a likely 'tipping point'
    So, yeah
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]How twisted? Given everything that is wrong with our club right now, why do you chose this moment to post an attack on the fans who dare to protest at what is going on?

I didn't. That is you twisting someone else's words yet again.
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]

I think I'm missing something here because I don't understand

At last something you have said that I agree with totally. Let' s leave it at that for the sake of the message board
  • Options
    WSS, I think Arthur is refering to ther decline which happened long before 2003 - i.e. the period during which they fell from the top tier in 1992 to hitting the bottom tier in 1996, where they remained stuck for many seasons (hence his reference to fanzines rather than fan sites).

By the time of the 2003 uprising to which you refer, they had already gone into adminsitration at least once and may be twice (they've done it three times in total over the past ten years!)

After the uprising, they at least got back up to the Championship. Only for it all to go wrong. Again.
  • Options
    Henry, please don't post attacks on fans and then deny that's what you're doing.

Bing started this thread saying:

''I am just a bit concerned that we are turning against one another in our frustration and anger... if we have criticisms, try to make them measured and not laced with personal abuse or scatter-gun insults.''

You then reply: ''Well said Bing...what has disappointed me most about our slide over the past few years is ...how the situation has revelled a really nasty, negative, vitriolic and unforgiving face of our fan base...I cringe sometimes when I hear and read our own fans."

Can you not see the irony of your own words ? Well perhaps you can and that's why you then come back to claim that accusing you of insulting other Charlton fans is ''twisting'' your words...

What does saying our own fans make you cringe achieve? Why do you do it?
    What is the agenda?
  • Options
    Henry
    take a deep breath and look at your postings again.

Your final taken-out-of-context remark illustrates the point rather well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: A-R-T-H-U-R[/cite]Henry
    take a deep breath and look at your postings again.

Your final taken-out-of-context remark illustrates the point rather well

Not sure what you point is. Which point and which remark?

If you are saying that I suggest that fans should not be critical or complain or suggest improvements than that is not the case.

IMHO we fans should be doing a lot more, a lot lot more but something constructive.
  • Options
    Is there any way of blocking whispers? Just had an extremely rude and unpleasant piece of name-calling as a whisper from someone in this thread, which rather illustrates the problem Bing indentifies... is there some device I can use by which I can filter out further messages from the same person ?