Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky's post-match comments

2»

Comments

• Options
    When we lose (for the ninth time in the 13 games he's been in charge), we want to know why he thinks we lost and what he can do to put it right.

I'm not all that interested in what he has to say right after the match unless it confirms why a certain player was subbed when they were playing well or whatever. As AFKA says there is a risk that every word and sentence is pored over to devine a meaning and several people have concluded from these few words taht Dickson won't start on Tuesday etc. That maybe so, but I doubt that the team is going to be selected until Parky has worked out who is and isn't fit and what his tactics are. I'm sure there is a good chance that Dickson will be on the bench - to start a player who is yet to start a League game for the club in a big local derby would take some decision making from a manager who has shown himself to be somewhat conservative to date in his team selection and in most cases prefers experience over youth.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes that's right - let's play 4-5-1 in another must win game and let's not play the bloke who's our best goalscorer! (stats at EVERY level show this also)!
  • Options
    Perhaps we all got a bit too hasty when being pissed off with what Mr. Pardew said after a game when it was obvious he was clueless. I forgot that we can have double standards particularly when PP is obviously totally to grips with our situation.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I've read what several of you have said above with great interest.

I am convinved Pardky has emphatically restated that he has no intention of starting Dicko. But if you are right and Pardky starts Dickson ahead of Burton and Gray, you can whisper me your home addresses when we all get home on Tuesday night and a bottle of Lanson champagne (I've got several cases left over from my son's wedding!) will be despatched to each of you on Wednesday morning. Ca va?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Ca va?
    Make your mind up.

It was champagne a minute ago. ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]And while we are all being so 'anal', there's something else Pardky says that's actually very positive about Dickson - he credits him with working very hard in training.

So let's hear no more about how he's got an attitude problem or doesn't impress Mon-Fri at Sparrows Lane. Pardky is now on the record saing that isn't true. Or do we think that might also have been said "without consideration"?

Thinking cynically for a second and playing devil's advocate though, we're more likely to be able to sell him if say he's been working hard when not in the team rather than suggesting that he doesn't care about training and is a pain in the arse.

Before now Parky has insinuated that Dickson hasn't deserved a chance, when talking specifically about Shelvey's attitude in training.

I'm as confused as the next man about why Dickson hasn't been given more of a chance, but although I don't necessarily know what it is, there MUST be a reason that Parky isn't playing him, because I don't think any manager wants to lose games all the time and not give his team the best possible chance of winning a game. A stupid and as crap a manager as people may think Parky is, I don't think he's stupid enough to not realise that Dickson scores goals in the reserves or on loan - certainly not with Addick Addict quoting the stats every 5 minutes :-).

I think now its almost too late now anyway - if he starts playing Dickson and he scores regularly, people will slag Parky off for not doing it sooner. If he continues not to play Dickson he'll get slagged off. If he plays Dickson and he doesn't score then he'll either not have been given enough time, or given too much time.

I think we needed a new manager before, and still the same now, but its not going to happen and because of all thats gone before and recently, I don't think Parkinson will ever win the majority of fans over. Because of our league position and form he could say anything in a press conference and still get ripped apart for it.

I honestly feel sorry for the bloke because the problems are down to more than one man - but unfortunately as he's the man in charge he gets far more stick than players that let us and him down.

Even if we win the next 10 games, he'll still get abuse for not doing it earlier. I think ultimately for that reason he needs to go at the end of the season, which is a shame because it means another manager and more upheaval, and more money spent.

PS. Please don't take this as me blaming the fans for the situation - we could discuss Charlton's decline for the next 2 weeks and still be coming up with new factors that have played a part in it.
  • Options
    I can understand what some of you are saying, but who won't be surprised if Dickson starts on Tuesday?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    edit.. whisper gone wrong!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry AFKA. It wasn`t me or GH or nigel that said it.........It was Parkinson.

I know he said it. What i'm saying is you are all nit-picking in a very anal way. What you're saying should be said after Tuesday if that's how you feel and Dickson doesn't start.

And if you really want to scrutinise it, then there is nothing actually in what he said to state categorically that he won't be starting on Tuesday. Which is probably because 20 mins after a game, without knowing who has a knock etc, he probably hasn't a clue what team will be put out on Tuesday.
    AFKA, it's not difficult to read that into what Parkinson says because he and his mentor have NEVER started Dickson despite his being the reserves top scorer and despite his successful run at Gillingham and despite the array of useless strikers that he has given chance after chance and who have failed. Generally I'd agree with your point (though managers have enough stock phrases - he'd have known a Dicko question would have come up and he could easily have said it gives me another option - I guess he could be playing mind games with Colin, but Parky hasn't got the smarts for that IMHO) - here he was able to make the clear statement because he knows he has no intention of starting Dicko, regardless of performance, regardless of what the game means to us.

He's now in the difficult situation of not wanting Dickson to score because it makes him look like a clueless idiot - although to be fair absolutely nothing he has done for/to us has made him look anything else. If one good thing comes from this season it is that this man will never get a job in charge of a club again, because no board, other than ours, would give someone as singlemindedly self-destructive responsibility over cleaning the boots, never mind team selection, tactics and transfers. Sorry to get off the original point, he's got my blood boiling.
  • Options
    Just because its straight after a game doesn't mean that's not parky's true opinion. He's suggesting dickson needs to put in more substitute performances like today's to prove he's good enough for a start. that clearly implies that he doesn't think he's done enough to deserve a start yet and so presumably won't get one on tuesday.

I see AFKA's point about reading too much into post match comments but this instance seems to be pretty clear cut to me. As for needing to evaluate injuries etc before deciding on tuesday's team, the point of most on here is that dickson deserves a start regardless of who is and isn't fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can the guy put in performances to justify and start and score goals that will make him a first team regular if he doesnt get the opportunities that burton and gray have got and certainly done sweet fa to justify them.
  • Options
    WSS - been puzzling for ages what you were on about, re champagne and ca va(as in OK)...

I've finally finally got it - not French at all, but Spanish. Cava! That was bloody smart, I must say, even by CL's high standards of rapier-like wit.

Although It could equally be that I'm just very slow at this time of the evening when I've had a glass or two!!!
  • Options
    Parko is a twat, a fool and we are his laughing stock.
  • Options
    Like a flat bottle of cheap Cava, PP is leaving a very nasty taste in my mouth.
    He proves himself to be ever more Pardew like with eash losing game.
    In fact his record is worse than the man before him who was sacked for not getting results.
    This suggests he is as clueless as the last jerk about our limited players strengths.
    Leave PP in a Spanish cave, pick the 100th shopper in the Charlton 'super' store this week and get them to take over, as a prize, til the end of the season
  • Options
    let's face it, not only may Dickson not get a start on Tuesday there is still a good chance he might not even be here come Tuesday !! That is what makes Parky's comments all the more stupid.
  • Options
    just saw the goal on setanta and it was a good finish..... surrounded by defenders and nice chip over the keeper....
  • Options
    Unless Pardky has been living in a box for the past couple of months, he would be very aware of the strength of fans opinion regarding Dickson.
    Therefore any comments made post match would have been well thought out in advance of any press conference. Pardky obviously has an agenda when it comes to Dickson and unfortunately he is putting that before the welfare and future of our club. We have only one small chance of staying up and that is to find someone who can score plenty of goals and win us some games. Unless he can bring in Kevin Philips in the next couple of days, then Dickson is our only hope.
    After all the fans have been through recently, they deserve the opportunity to see their last hope given a chance. If nothing else it would give the crowd a big boost to see him starting against Palarse. If the board want to do something right for a change, they should call Pardky in for a meeting to discuss his reasoning for refusing to give Dickson a start.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]So with all due respect, Aliw, I'm not quite sure what point you're making when you say don't read his comments. It's only in these circs. that his comments have any real interest or significance, isn't it?

My point is Nigel, that a number of posters on this board have decided that Parkinson's a total idiot who doesn't know what he's doing (to put it mildly). Given that background, he could say practically anything in the press conference, and they'd choose to find the most negative interpretation of it possible and proceed to get wound up by it. Personally, I think life's too short to actively seek out things that you know in advance are going to piss you off, so if what he says always winds you up, then don't read it. (that's a general "you", not a specific "you" there, by the way).