Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greg Halford

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
nice to see his reaction to us giving him a bit of abuse about being a one trick (throw in) pony was to hold his hand by his side and rub his fingers together in a I've got more money than you gesture. Says it all about the modern footballer doesn't it

Comments

• Options
    "They tried to make him go to rehab, and he NO No NO"

What a twat of a man
  • Options
    well justifies my hatred of the man then

2 BOB Player nicking a living
  • Options
    fair play we (and me especially) were giving him a fair bit but that was a really poor thing to do and spoke volumes about the man
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I could not believe my eyes when I saw that. What a twot. Certainly did not impress Lats. I could see steam billowing out of his ears.
  • Options
    If you give it out you should take it. I really don't get this thing about fans being disgusted when a player reacts, however concieted the response.

The downright jealousy in our society is quite pathetic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]If you give it out you should take it. I really don't get this thing about fans being disgusted when a player reacts, however concieted the response.

Very true. Odd too, as I recall one of the "criticisms" of him was that he wasn't realising his talent because he wasn't overly ambitious and had basically all he wanted. That was from the genius that is our current supremo mind, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Shart player anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]If you give it out you should take it. I really don't get this thing about fans being disgusted when a player reacts, however concieted the response.

Coming from one of the snidest, mean spirited and pathetic people on this site, that takes some posting.
  • Options
    woah there Rothko.

Chirpy what are we jealous of.

I agree fans should be able to take back some stick - but as we are in a recession Halford's response is distateful in the extreme if that is what he was implying. If Sheff Utd fans saw it I am sure they'd be a disgusted as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

Coming from one of the snidest, mean spirited and pathetic people on this site, that takes some posting.
    What did he say that is not perfectly balanced and reasoned? Makes gramatical sense too.
  • Options
    In the current climate as Ledge said, Halford response was immature and unprofessional. End of.
    A footballer taking in grief is part and parcel of that particular profession. Id accept that if I was on thousands per week.
    The rest of us have to live with the threat of reduncancies and repossessions over our head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

OOOOOooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! Get her!

One of? So who else is in my club then?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I can take it as much as I give it no probs but that particular gesture was in very poor taste
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I can take it as much as I give it no probs but that particular gesture was in very poor taste

Maybe it was, I was actually trying to make a general point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I can take it as much as I give it no probs but that particular gesture was in very poor taste

Maybe it was, I was actually trying to make a general point.

funny that cos the original post you made didn't look like that's what you meant

• Options
    I wouldn't worry. He doesn't actually have any more money anyway cos he wastes it all on.....

You all know the answer
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Right well let me make it clear then, footballers get paid loads of money, far too much for what they do, especially the run of the mill players like the lad in question. Maybe he's on £3k per week, a lot of money indeed.
    However, some maybe deserve it. The pleasure that the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Lampard, Henry, Terry, Gerrard, Torres etc etc give their respective fans is surely equal, if not greater than the amount of pleasure Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, or Liam Gallagher and Gary Barlow or even Tiger Woods and Roger Federer give theirs? Football is more a part of peoples lives than films, music or most other sports.
    So footballers get paid loads, it is not their fault. The players have done nothing for their own wages since the abolishment of the maximum wage after Jimmy Hill's campaign in the 60's.
    The finance in football is down to businessmen, TV executives, advertisers and agents, not players.

Why should anyone in any job be subjected to abuse, whether humourous or vile, racist, homophobic or just through envy.

"He's crap, he earns £200K, £1m or even £10m per year. I'm going to abuse him, especially as he used toplay for us!"

So he turns round and gives you the finger or even two. Or kisses his badge or the awful "loadsofmoney" gesture. He knows your uncle has just lost his job at Woolworths, how can he do such a thing?
    Now come on, give the bloke a break. Most footballers are pretty thick and have been guided by greedy agents/parents since they were 12 years old.

Every, yes every professional footballer has worked their nuts off to get where they are, Many, many sacrifices. Just think about how many friends you have who were good at football, how many kids at your school were good at football, how many of your/family friends /kids/nephews/cousins/godchildren/colleagues/ etc etc were or indeed are good or exceptional at football but didn't or haven't made it. It is a tough profession.
    They are human, you keep abusing them and they will react. Do you turn up at Leceister Sq to give Tom Cruise some shit about his lack of knowledge of WW2? No.
    Do you not watch Jonathan Ross after his comment that he is worth 1,000 BBC journalists?
    Maybe we are worse than others, I don't know, but what I do know is the abuse (about ££'s) we have given the likes of Parker and Defoe over the last few years has done one thing only, inspired them to play well against us.

I can only really think of Jason Lee as a player who really got affected by abuse, and that was for his hair! Sol Campbell in my book has played the whole thing in his favour, he is not thick.

Yes things are tough finacially, I may not have a job in 3 months time, plenty do not have one tonight, but to take the moral high ground over incidents like this is just hypocrisy to me.

I do think we have an endemic jealousy culture in the country.

I hope that clears things up.
  • Options
    Ps. Can't wait for BFR's response!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Sol Campbell in my book has played the whole thing in his favour, he is not thick.

apart from in the trouser department I imagine...
  • Options
    chirpy you really live on a different planet don't you , I could not give the slightest toss if he gave me the finger , two fingers or even came over and said something of the like to my face but to make the gesture he did shows what a vulgare piece of scum the man is .

Maybe you're pleased about the money (which let's be honest is way more than the three grand a week you seem to think) which he got paid for representing us so badly but me I'm fed up to the back teeth with the fact that the money we pay at the gate or on sky subscriptions or on various other things go to filling the pockets of idiots like Halford and let's face it the vast majority of ours and many other squads up and down the land.

oh and as for your comment that being a footballer is a tough proffesion well I've never heard so much old bull in all my life , this is a job that involves around half a days work during the week and a couple of hours on a saturday . This is something that even the lowest paid professional gets paid money above the national average for .
  • Options
    Buckshee, it's not all about you fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From Buckshee's original post, I take it that the stick given to Halford was not about his earnings but his lack of contribution on the field. If that is the case, why come back with a gesture that is not really a response to the grief he was getting, but one in such poor taste? Had he got the ball during a break in play, and done some Brazillian style juggling with it in front of our fans, that would have made sense.

I think on the whole, compared with some other nations, the Brits are not too bad on the jealousy front, we tend to be happy when people have success or win a shed load of cash, although the press love to knock people down, they no more represent society in that aspect than when they blame all the ills of the country on immigrants. In reality as many people stuck up for Wossy as were delighted by his "downfall", for example.

In Japan they apparently had to abandon "Who wants to be a millionaire" because they are so envious of each other they could not always rely on a "phone a friend" telling the truth about an answer, and they knew the audience would do little to help out the contestants. And believe me, many Portuguese are eaten up with jealousy, and would have no problem causing grief to a neighbour they envied, even if it was of no benefit to them at all.
  • Options
    Great post Chirpy and let's not forget there is only a small window of opportunity for these players of maybe 6-8 years to make their cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]From Buckshee's original post, I take it that the stick given to Halford was not about his earnings but his lack of contribution on the field. If that is the case, why come back with a gesture that is not really a response to the grief he was getting, but one in such poor taste? Had he got the ball during a break in play, and done some Brazillian style juggling with it in front of our fans, that would have made sense.

That's not going to happen with Half, though is it? What with him being shit. The point is that people give footballers awful stick about whatever they can think of to wind them up. The player reacted and did the same. It's like the clowns who swore and said all kinds of terrible things about Joey Barton and then ran to the police because he showed them the top of his arse. Crybabies. I want to be able to say whatever I want at players (I guess within the laws of the land), but having done that if they come and celebrate in my face in a way that they know will get a reaction, then lets not burst a blood vessle. The current global economic climate is not what caused the outraged boo-hooing, or even the specific gesture, it was just that he gave a bit back.

I'll not comment on your analysis of other countries' vies, because it sounds like you know a lot more than me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Right well let me make it clear then,

Thanks for that Chrirpy - I don't know what I would do without you putting me straight on the rights on wrongs of the world.

[cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Buckshee, it's not all aboutyoufella.

Evidently not. It's all about YOU isn't it.

You're either always trying to provoke a reaction on here - or else you're so far up your own jacksie you think only you're opinion counts. To be honest, I'm not particularly bothered which it is, I just think it's all a bit sad.
  • Options
    I think you have all lost sight of the real issue- fair play to Halford as actually if his reaction incensed you all so much- then he WON- you were trying to give him abuse but rather than let it get to him and he came back with a response that GOT to YOU instead and you haven't noticed- so who then really is more intelligent -you for giving him the abuse in the first place or him for coming back with the perfect response!!! HE HAS WOUND YOU ALL UP GOOD AND PROPER
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I really don't see what the problem is: fans give a player abuse.
    Then he gives it back.

Touche .....people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones, etc.......?
    The fact that he is extremely well paid compared to many, shouldn't cloud the issue.

Think of a person, for example, who gets paid more than you.Your own manager/chairman/company owner etc at work more than likely gets paid more, perhaps much more, than you. Would you go up to him and abuse him?

And then not expect him to retaliate in any way?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]From Buckshee's original post, I take it that the stick given to Halford was not about his earnings but his lack of contribution on the field. If that is the case, why come back with a gesture that is not really a response to the grief he was getting, but one in such poor taste? Had he got the ball during a break in play, and done some Brazillian style juggling with it in front of our fans, that would have made sense.

That's not going to happen with Half, though is it? What with him being shit. The point is that people give footballers awful stick about whatever they can think of to wind them up. The player reacted and did the same. It's like the clowns who swore and said all kinds of terrible things about Joey Barton and then ran to the police because he showed them the top of his arse. Crybabies. I want to be able to say whatever I want at players (I guess within the laws of the land), but having done that if they come and celebrate in my face in a way that they know will get a reaction, then lets not burst a blood vessle. The current global economic climate is not what caused the outraged boo-hooing, or even the specific gesture, it was just that he gave a bit back.

I'll not comment on your analysis of other countries' vies, because it sounds like you know a lot more than me

Take you point McL', I actually totally agree that players should be allowed to give stick back, I just think his reaction was a bit childish and lacked imagination, but then as previuosly mentioned, most of them wouldn't pass a cycling proficiency test...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Right well let me make it clear then,

Thanks for that Chrirpy - I don't know what I would do without you putting me straight on the rights on wrongs of the world.

[cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Buckshee, it's not all aboutyoufella.

Evidently not. It's all about YOU isn't it.

You're either always trying to provoke a reaction on here - or else you're so far up your own jacksie you think only you're opinion counts. To be honest, I'm not particularly bothered which it is, I just think it's all a bit sad.

What's up fella? I was making a general point about fans getting up tight when a players gives back some stick. Someone said I hadn't made it clear,
    which I hadn't to be fair, so I tried to clarify my posistion. Ok maybe this example is not a good one with Halford.
    I have made my points, I don't expect everyone to agree, that would be silly. It's my opinion, I find many football fans hypocritical.
    Please don't get worked up, if you don't agree fine but there is not need for personal attacks.
    Everything we write on here is OUR opinion, I thought that was a given.
  • Options
    Having read through this post I am surprised by the general reaction. To be honest I don`t have any problem with a player making a gesture whatever it is if he thinks he is being "unfairly" abused. For all we know Halford might have felt that he gave his best for us and when he got the stick thought.. Ok Bollox. I know how I can piss them off. and it seems it worked. Fairs fair. You dish it out and moan when you get it back. Seems he is just better at the wind up than those giving the stick were. As for calling him scum. Sorry that is uncalled for and frankly puts us on a level with the Millwall fans we love to slag off. Rant over.
  • Options
    Halford's response may well have been crass and classless, especially in times like these, but it never ceases to amaze me that fans feel they have the right to abuse players with almost no limit and then whinge like hell when the player gives it back to them.

If you can't take it back then you should not dish it out.

Granted, if a player initiates an exchange with fans and goads them then that is different but if you have a crack at someone and they give it back to you then you just have to get on with it.