Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++++++Charlton v Palace - Post match views+++++++++

2»

Comments

• Options
    don't recall them putting in much effort against Palace last time at theirs, bit twisted that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Quote from OS

He (Warnock) added: "I think Charlton should be disgusted with themselves. If they'd put that sort of effort in for Alan Pardew they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

"They're all big earners and they should look themselves in the mirror after the sort of effort they put in tonight. They don't play Crystal Palace every week."

Nice to see we've upset him. Well done lads, a tough battle but you did it. Really sorry for Fortune.

But earlier on he was saying the problems had been going on since Curbs had been in charge............He's a nob, end of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]
    Gray - 1 - Useless, worst performance I have seen from him, how he's in the team I will never know
    quote]

Completely unfair he won the ball at the front a few times and tried to pass to where burton should have been running into - it didn't happen.

Thats what the 1 was for

But Burton was never getting into the box so even though he put effort in - he wasn't where a striker should be - so gray must ever be moved up to balance your marking or burton be brought down?

My rating would be for Gray

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Warnock can fook off right now he reckons we timewasted all night as well he is a proper Wanker

We were "slowing the game down" quite a lot. Nothing wrong with that mind ; - )
  • Options
    Great to get a result but my god that second half was dire. Gotta go against the majority and back up henry on Nicky Bailey though. I can see why some mark him so high because he throws himself into the last ditch tackles but in between those tackles he's knackered and leaves massive holes in our midfield. Perhaps he's playing through an injury and if he is then i know i'm being unfair but his fitness level and pace have been a problem for some time.
  • Options
    I thought Tom Soares had a good game. He's confident on the ball & big enough to make it hard for defenders to push him off, unlike Lloyd Sam. I was impressed.
  • Options
    Thats terrible news if Fortune has ruptured his achilles. Won't see him for months.

What a nice feeling to finally win a game! I'm not sure I could cope with winning 1-0 every week though. Back to the simple 3-0 defeats please boys.

As for Palace fans on the train...on the way there I was in a carriage with about 20 who couldn't decide if they hated us or not, if they cared whether we hated them or not, or if they hate millwall or brighton more. Of course they don't hate us, or care about us, thats why they were "coming down to wreck your ground".
  • Options
    I really don't believe some on here.

a win is a win is a win - what the fuck do you want?
  • Options
    i thought hudson was immense but think that youga is an accident waiting to happen he just seems to lackadaisical in his approach.
    burton can play till the end of the season and wont score 2 goals
    well impressed with dicko's cameo
    murty took a battering and continued to stand up to it
    the ref was shit but imo we got as many ridiculous decisions go our way as they did
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I really don't believe some on here.

a win is a win is a win - what the fuck do you want?

i want to stay up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't pretty or vintage but we did what we needed to do.

Well done lads. More of the same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]Burton - 5 - Not from lack of heart or tryin but he has close to zero ability/pace/composure infront of goal

Burton actually played quite well, he's just never going to score goals. He's not quick but hardly slow either, quicker than Gray or Todorov anyway. Same with Bailey, both look slower than they are because of the way they play.
  • Options
    i think close to zero ability is harsh. His touch is generally pretty good and can hold off a defender and lay the ball off. Like others say, he's not likely to score many himself but could make a decent partnership with someone else (Dickson?).

Not really sure why Parky thought Gray and Burton would make a good partnership - they're too similar and at times were running into the same non-threatening positions!
  • Options
    Got the win. Played well in batches but got the win that is all that counts.

The results will mean for nothing come May if we don’t stay up so need to use this as a steeping stone.

Impressed with Soares, but overall proved what that bit of team spirit and will to win goes a long way in this league.
  • Options
    Burton is good at what he does and needs a goalscorer alongside him to pick up his little flicks or alternatively a midfielder like Jonjo or Ambrose in the hole if he plays on his own.

He is not a goalscorer himself though.
  • Options
    Parky said on the OS that the dressing room was jubilant tonight
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    gremlins ...edited, lol
  • Options
    Job well done n a bit of passion at last!

Oh n well played Mark Hudson.

Get the fcuk in there!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have just got back to Carrot Land after a wee stop off to sign up a customer (signed at 0.05am in Sidcup) Now thats what I call mixing business with pleasure (and he's a Millwall fan with a soft spot for the Addicks).

Well a WIN. YES!! Not the prettiest, not the best of performances, much improvement still needed but boy was it sweet!

I thought Burton held the line well, and to be fair to him, he was given some pretty rubbish service at times. Dickson, for me, should now be given a start. He showed enough to see that he's a bit of a live wire. (I don't really care if the bench were shouting at him, thats their job).

I'd single out three players for highest praise. Hudson, who was immense (especially after Forts who played well got injured). Soares who looked more up for it and tricky, and Bailey who threw everything including the kitchen sink at times at the game.

Others worthy of a mention. Murty who showed what a good professional he is. When he made mistakes he managed to get himself out of them. Youga who managed to avoid the silly stuff, Elliot who was assured throughout and Spring who put in a decent shift and scored the goal. Also Holland when he came on did a good job.

Players in the could do better category. Sam - a couple of decent crosses but to often played to narrow and didn't offer an effective outlet when we were clearing. Gray - too little in air and very little threat. Basey, did hold onto the ball when in posession enough.

I felt that the better football was played by Palace except in the last third of the game when they just played it long and high. I felt that we battled and none of our players hid and we definitely wanted it tonight.

My main criticism is the inablity to hold the ball and string passes together. Defensively we lined up with two banks of four but those banks played to close together, especially in the second half and there was very little link up play, hence the "out" ball was a long hopeful punt up field often for the tireless Burton to chase. We have to work on link up play big time otherwise against a team with a better cutting edge than Palace, one goal will definitely not be enough.

Still a wins a win. Onwards and upwards!!
  • Options
    It was a bodies on the line performance, effort and will over skill at times and it was one of the few times this season I was proud of everyone wearing red tonight. Park's subs were even spot on. What surprised me tonight was, Burton (where did that performance come from?), Spring (who said he was Hughes in disguise, he puts it about as well as retaining possesion and looking to get in the box) and Soares (we should get the ball to him more often, he looked a lot better than I remember him in a PalARSE shirt and he was bloody quick as well)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    for me, hard to pick a MOM out of Hudson or Bailey, though I think Hudson just shades it as he had even more to do once Fortune went off.

Holland did well when he came on and so did Dickson, also thought Murty threw himself into everything.

The big test now is to follow it up with 3/4 wins out of the next 5 games.....
  • Options
    gutted that I wasn't there

sounds like Burton put in a shift but is unlikely to score goals while Gray was a t*sser yet again

what will it take for Parky to pair Burton with Dicko and see if it works??
  • Options
    Well from my point of view although Burton is not exactly the most skilled player we have ever had (cough, cough :-)) he worked his socks off and tried to bring other people in with some ok hold up play. I thought Bailey also worked incredibly hard and Murty showed the sort of determination we will need if we are to stay up. Dickson when he came on showed some naivety but again passion and showed a flash of brilliance. I know he is not the worlds best but I think he is the best striker in the bunch we have so am pleased he got an opportunity. I think on that showing Parky needs to give him more time on the pitch and for him to go with a partnership of Burton Dickson. From last night it might just work.

Overall it was not pretty but the guts, determination and effort was there for all to see and ultimately that is all I ever want. To turn up and see all the players give 100% for the cause and put their bodies on the line. We'll need more of that if we are to stay up. My only fear is it's easy to get motivated for a Derby game and less so on a cold wet Saturday away from home in Burnley. I hope that we can keep these effort levels up for the rest of the season and that the Fortune injury does not cost us too dear.

Well done to the lads, the back room staff and to the fans that did show. Hopefully our season starts now.