Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parkinson - "No way Chris Dickson is going to Gillingham"

Said the above in response to a direct question from a reporter in the post-match press conference.

The way he said it intimated that Dickson is not leaving the club anytime soon, which indicates that he might finally see him as part of his 1st team squad plans.

Comments

• If Dicko didnt get on tonight he would have gone
  • i think parkys problem is we really didn't need Burton (his first 'purchase') this has ego politics bullshit stamped all over it.
  • Well, in Dicko's 15 min cameo tonight he showed he was full of threat, pace and composure - especially that sublime bit of skill to almost set up Burton.

Doesn't contribute....who an earth ever said that?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]i think parkys problem is we really didn't need Burton (his first 'purchase') this has ego politics bullshit stamped all over it.

But Burton earned his crust tonight - and just needs a pacy player to play off him.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]i think parkys problem is we really didn't need Burton (his first 'purchase') this has ego politics bullshit stamped all over it.

Burton was very good tonight. MOTM in my opinion.

Burton and Dickson could be the way forward.

But it's happened so gotta get on with it. Compare Burton's performance tonight with Grays............
  • edited January 2009
    cant link up play what a crock of shit eh Oggy the way he put that ball across showed he knows what to do he excites and is lively i hope he gets his chance he fooking loves it with us
  • edited January 2009
    Burton could create situations for Dicko who is more of a threat than Gray.
  • Exactly NLA .... I tried to be a little more subtle - but you hit the nail on the head, mate.
  • say what you like about Burton, but how many goals has he created let alone scored? Not denying he can do a job, and I think it would be a decent pairing,
  • Sponsored links:

• I just feel Dickson gives us something different, Burton and Gray are hold-up players (albeit slightly different types) whereas Dickson looks to get in behind and as we saw on Saturday the bloke is a great finisher.

I'd play him on the last-man and Burton a bit deeper, we really need to win games not get draws and to my mind its probably worth losing the odd game 2-0 chasing a win if you win another two games adopting the same approach.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I just feel Dickson gives us something different, Burton and Gray are hold-up players (albeit slightly different types) whereas Dickson looks to get in behind and as we saw on Saturday the bloke is a great finisher.

I'd play him on the last-man and Burton a bit deeper, we really need to win games not get draws and to my mind its probably worth losing the odd game 2-0 chasing a win if you win another two games adopting the same approach.

He needs to play off the shoulder of the last defender, Darren Bent style - as long as he looks across the line first to not get caught offside
  • At long last I can stop being a closet Deon fan. Play him with Dickson and I think we'll see some results.
  • I honestly don't know how bad Andy Gray has to be to be dropped. I've not seen the bloke do anything for weeks. Add to that he won't be here next season. We need to get a partnership going and Dickson and Burton could well be it as let's face it we've got no one else.
  • I thought he (dicko)also put the backs under pressure in the air which is something Gray often fails to do let alone connect with the ball
  • I thought Burton played very well tonight. Tough job up there on his own. Don't understand why we were playing with Gray as a withdrawn striker? Either play him up front, or put someone else (jonjo) to play in that position.

i'm usually someone who sticks up for Gray, but he was poor and anonymous tonight.
  • Got a lot of time and sympathy for Gray and the way he's been trying to cope with the personal stuff. But we need someone with no distractions, we can't afford to be a nursing home.
  • Good as I think he has a part to play, we're not going to get any striker in that is much better than what we have.

Burton was much better than Gray. If we get a goalscorer, whether that's Dickson or not, alongside him and win a few games he'll look like a useful player.
  • Although I think Dickson played very well last night (especially after Kinsella gave him a rollicking for not chasing after our clearances allowing their defenders to lump the ball back under no pressure) he was helped by the fact we had got a head, meaning there was space for him to exploit. Also fair play to Parky for bringing on a striker for a striker at that time.
  • If we're going to play two up front - especially at home - then Burton and Gray certainly doesn't seem the best option.

Watching Dickson, you could understand some the of the issues about him not closing players down etc, but as others have said what he did bring was some pace and the threat of being able to run on to through balls.

He's a totally different option to the other two, and will give defenders something different to think about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't go last night, but they said on Sky sports news etc that Dickson was lively and did something quite sublime that nearly caused an OG by Derry
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Didn't go last night, but they said on Sky sports news etc that Dickson was lively and did something quite sublime that nearly caused an OG by Derry

He chased down a long ball out of defence with two Palace players around him. Looked like he was going to take it to the corner flag but stopped it, foot on ball, on the touch line maybe 18 yards out. Waited for the two defenders to close him down then flicked it between them and ran off into the box. Good low cross across the 6 yard box the defender did well the clear as Burton was waiting behind him for a tap in.
  • I think that Chris did OK when he came on.

Unfortunately, the situation when he came on (i.e. Palace pumping the ball from defence to upfront in one fell swoop) did him no favours at all.

He looked like a lazy f*cker who would not chase down the ball or run the line as was required of him. I know that's not his game and in other circumstances it may have been different, but I can understand why Kins/Parky were balling at him. If that was M.Bent with that attitude we would be baying for blood.

Howver, excellent bit of skill at the end to create the chance and I really would like to see him up front with one of Burton or Gray.
  • I wonder whether Dickson would have ever made a start in a Curbishley team?

Of absolutely no relevance now but I personally dont think he would.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I wonder whether Dickson would have ever made a start in a Curbishley team?

Of absolutely no relevance now but I personally dont think he would.

I doubt that Curbishley would have ever bought him in the first place. How often did he buy non-league players?
  • Gray was absolutely shocking last night, to be honest I didn't think Burton was much better (how many times did he get caught offside ?), however I think Burton would link up much better with Dickson and would like to see them both given a go
  • Dicko must have found it very odd coming on when we were in front - first time this season, I think. Glad Parky seems to be suggesting he's not going to be sold.Perhaps the scales are finally falling from his eyes, although if he is to be retained and given a role, I think fan pressure will have played a part,too.

Like to see Dicko start next game with Burton (who put himself about very well) . Gray contributed little and if we are going to give ourselves even a faint outside chance, we can't rely on midfield to provide all the goals. Strikers have to chip in with a decent proportion of them and Dicko is the man most likely in that department - by far.

I'd also like to see Dicko and Shelvey on the pitch together. Uncle keeps telling us they have a really good understanding but I don't think we've ever been allowed to see it yet in the first team!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]i think parkys problem is we really didn't need Burton (his first 'purchase') this has ego politics bullshit stamped all over it.

But Burton earned his crust tonight - and just needs a pacy player to play off him.

Locked on fact in my humble opinion.
  • What did stand out last night about Dicko was his passion, and his hunger when he came on, as a defender the last thing you want after playing for 75 minutes is a guy with pace to burn and runs around
  • Burton is this years Gray, however very big difference in price tag. Agree that dicko/burton could be very promising.