Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Charlton Athletic Moment

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    From the playoff final , Rufus' goal, pure joy

Other than that, sitting behind the dugout, seeing DiCanio’s despair when Brad Friedel scored for Blackburn turn into pure joy when Jensen went straight up the other end to score the winner :-)
  • Options
    1 in my top five is Chris Kamara Getting in the back of my car after god knows what game. Me and Carter were laughing all the way home.

Another is di canio's performance against Blackburn.

And starting off a ''dirty northern bastards'' At old trafford when i was about 10. (FA cup quarter finals).

Playoff finals and first game back are too obvious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dan C 4[/cite]
    Jensen scoring after freidel's goal at home.

That's a decent shout, watching PDC on the touchline going from very pleased to abject dispair to complete unbridled joy in a matter of minutes was priceless.

Best occassion has to be the playoff, Wembley full of 'real' red and white fans as oppossed to say the cup final which is full of corporates, and what a game to go with it. Best atmopshere ever.

Morts goal against Notts Forest at home in the playoff season, beat three or four men and I was screaming shoot after each one, he did eventually and just nonchalantely (sp?) stroked it into the far corner from about 14yrds out when I was convinced he'd over done it and lost the chance and was altready cursing him! Lol.

My absolute favourite was Villa away in the penultimate game of the first Premiership season. Had the lot, coming from behind to win 4-3, Petterson sent off and Brownio in goal for 20 mins (keeping a clean sheet while at it!), last minute winner, kept us in the survival race until the last game of season. Really was an absolute classic of a game, possibly even better than the 2 playoffs. Got absolutely soaked but barely noticed until I got outside the ground and for a week, at least, genuinely thought there was no-way a team with that much spirit could possibly go down, only to have it confirmed a week later that there is no God. If it had been on TV or at the Valley it would go down in folk law but instead it hardly ever gets a mention.
  • Options
    A good shout for me was el kak scoring in the last min against blackburn from that free kick, was on the steps between H and J block half way down after walking down to comiserate with Ketters Carter et al and when it went in mayhem!!
  • Options
    Yeah that was a good un, sent Moses flying!

Kammy was after Everton Carlosbergo, Big Chris in the last minute at Southampton was special too. Blackpool last season was a good time as well
  • Options
    The promotion match against Preston NE, of course the Play off final, plus a personal one for me, driving from the hospice where my wife was terminally ill with cancer down to Stamford Bridge, celebrating with Lisbie after his goal, a load of other fans and chelsea stewards, pileing in too!
  • Options
    both play-off finals
    the town hall 'yes' meeting
    1st game back
    battle of the bridge
    arsenal 4-2
    taking 10,000 to old trafford
    spurs away 1-1 in the f.a cup, mid 80's
    doing the double over the scum
    stern john in the last minute
    paul rodgers in the last minute
  • Options
    Town Hall
  • Options
    Seems incredible to compare the two I know but for me it`s the Play Off Final or beating Millwall 0 - 2 at The New Den in the snow. A memorable night for a Charlton fan old enough to remember our real rivalry.
  • Options
    Taking my son to his first game alongside my dad was special on a personal level

The first game back and Millwall in the snow. Two long, long awaited events on the same date.

Has anyone mentioned Dennis in the Last minute? Also on a personal level starting the singing of "we'll never play you again" in 2000. Wrong but it was great at the time.

But best Charlton moment of all was when my membership of Charlton Life was accepted. Can't top that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Until you get banned Henry ;0)
  • Options
    Reading everyones post have really lifted spirits here!!

Shame reality strikes when you look at the league table.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Until you get banned Henry ;0)

They wouldn't dare. Don't you know who I am? : - )
  • Options
    you beat me to it Henry.

Denis in the last minute for me. It took a hell of a lot for me to put a foot back in that hell hole & when his strike went in I must have flew out of the poxy wooden seat I was standing on. No idea who I landed on but they couldn't care less as there was hugs, kisses & screams all round. Just seemed to be real closure for me. I will never go back there EVER again.

The other one for me was sitting in an Astra in the freezing cold in Devon, where me & my boyfriend (now hubby) had gone on a wee romantic break, listening to the commentary of us playing Blackburn in the cup & Pitcher scored. Couldn't believe we'd beat them & couldn't believe my luck that I'd finally found a geezer who was happy to let me listen to my beloved Charlton in a cold car & understand why I had to.

:-D
  • Options
    I was overseas for the Sunderland play off, so my list would be:

1) Shirtliff's winner at Brum to beat Leeds in the play offs
    2) Jim Ryan knocking out Pat Brady of Millwall in a reserve game
    3) The 2-0 Cup win at Palace
    4) The 2-0 win at home over Derby when Ray Treacy scored
  • Options
    Full members cup final - coach to wembley from Bexleyheath.
    Thought we would fill half the ground only to see how few of us there really were.

Chelsea 4-2 boxing day
    Arsenal 4-2 at highbury

Flying out to Thailand on thursday night, and having to watch Charlton 4-0 West Ham in the Islander bar on Koh Samui on the Saturday , whilst spending almost an hour on mobile to mate at the ground so I could hear the atmosphere better.

Sir Chris Powells last appearance,his goal, his farewell.
    Also his England call ups.
    In fact just having had such a legend play for us at all is my highlight.
  • Options
    Forgot about that Lisbie goal at Chelsea in the last minute, a quality moment-hard to believe that we did the double over them in consecutive seasons.

Blackburn away to win the title was good although we did our best to blow it that season. From the same year, Coventry in the cup was brilliant and really brought home the belief we had at that time.

Also got good if a little distant memories of the draw at Chelsea away to put them into the play offs as they were and winning at White Hart Lane for my first ever away game-Paul Williams kicked the ball out of their keeper's hands and David Campbell scored.

Nothing will ever beat the play off final though.
  • Options
    Beating Bolton 4-1 at home on the last day in 83 to stay up after being 1-0 down.

Simonsen's two wonder goals v Chelsea at home same season. Won 5-2.

Losing 7-0 at Brighton....5-0 at half time! SO bad you had to laugh!

Play off at St Andrews...if you saw that, you've seen everything. How did Shirtliff not get sent off for kneeing Baird in the back of the head?!

Winning 3-0 at Newcastle and being so drunk that I sang "C'mon you Spurs" (I assume because Garth Crooks and Paul Miller had just scored for us?!)

Being told to "f*ck off" several hours after the above game by Newcastle centre-half Peter Jackson in a Newcastle night club! (I may have made reference to his part in Crook's goal....not sure!)

As Alan Dugdale said....Nicky Johns goalkeeping v Chelsea at The Valley in 83....unreal! And similarly Bob Bolder away to Man Utd 0-0 draw on a New Year's Day.

Getting p*ssed with John Humphrey and Colin Pates after a chance meeting in a London night club a couple of years ago.

Bumping into John Humphrey, Colin Walsh, Steve Gritt, Steve Mackenzie, Tommy Caton in a Manchester night club after we'd been thrashed by Utd 3-0 (Ralph Milne scored for them!) The boys were having a good time but did the business though the next day at the Guinness Soccer Sixes!

....and loads more.
  • Options
    Can't pick one. So.....most of the above, and......

Winning 4 - 3 at Newcastle after being 3 - 0 down
    The Coventry cup win.
    The 47 cup final (only kidding)
    The excitement of seeing The Big Match cameras on a gantry on the east terrace
    Plane trips to Newcastle and Plymouth
    0-0 at old trafford on new years day Bob Bolders finest hour
    14 points on Charlton on Mastermind (and 3 on GK!)
    Charlton being top of the league
    Watching the 10th anniversary of the return to the valley video on the big screen with a tear in my eye

and so many more.......
  • Options
    Always going to be the first game back for sheer out and out emotion but also seeing a former European Player of the Year playing for MY club!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    The Wembley play-off final is a given.

Other than that there are many matches I recall fondly but my first visit and seeing those little red insects from high on the East Terrace, taking my young brother to his first game and taking my daughters to The Valley for the first time, something I thought I'd never be able to do.
  • Options
    The Play Off Final is a given.

Other than that, for me, it HAS to be Millwall in the snow. I had seen us get beat so many times by them that it wasn't funny - including a terrible 3-0 loss at Selhurst and that game at the "Old Den" where we were 2-0 up with two minutes left and drew 2-2. They had beaten us 1-0 the year before as well with a goal in the last-minute.

That night, with 10-men after Bowyer was sent off, was magical and I'll never, ever as long as I live forget the Magic Man Mortimer coming on as sub in the second half and just absolutely taking the piss with his dribbling, they could not get the ball off him.

Wonderful, wonderful night.
  • Options
    Ormiston....that indeed was a good night at the New Den. I ended up behind the goal at the Millwall end so had a perfect view of Kim Grant's 1st "goal" ....which was really an own goal. Pretty sure "Rhino" Stevens got himself sent off a bit after Lee Bowyer so it evened it up a bit. Mortimer was great wasn't he? One of the few players that I really looked forward to seeing in the starting line-up. Not many of those about now is there?!
  • Options
    So many, hard to choose only one.

Carlisle away 86 to win promotion

Woolwich Town Hall for the announcement

St Andrews 87 v Leeds, Shirtliffs two goals

87 Full Members Final

The clean up Sunday at the Valley

5th Dec 92 v Pompey

Play off Final

Championship title winners

Relegating Palarse
  • Options
    And a few more goals....

Lee Bowyer's hat-rick at Wimbledon.

Pete Garland's wonder strike in the same game.

Jim Melrose's hat-rick v Everton.

Steve Mackenzie's mazy run and goal at Highbury.

Kim Grant's weave from the corner flag and finish at Barnsley.

The own goal in the FA Cup at Colchester!!!!!! THE most undeserved piece of fortune I ever saw....apart from Swindon's cacky winner when Deano threw one in for them!
  • Options
    Impossible to do "just One".

All of the above !!
    (from 1970 onwards..............)
  • Options
    Great thread, agree with all the above that I was lucky enough to attend, epecially Millwall in the snow, the first game back, the play off final and Woolwich town hall.

Could add the play off semi at home to Ipswich, knowing I was going to see my beloved Charlton at Wembley at last, and Robbos goal to pull us back to 3-3 after being 3-1 down to Man Utd, without a doubt the most mental I have ever gone at a match!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Great thread, agree with all the above that I was lucky enough to attend, epecially Millwall in the snow, the first game back, Chris Powell's England debut, the play off final and Woolwich town hall.

Could add the play off semi at home to Ipswich, knowing I was going to see my beloved Charlton at Wembley at last, and Robbos goal to pull us back to 3-3 after being 3-1 down to Man Utd, without a doubt the most mental I have ever gone at a match!

Oh yes - and seeing Shaun Bartlett win goal of the season, despite the BBC making as small a deal of it as they could.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Has to be the Play-off final for me also.

A few other moments also spring to mind.

Pringle's equaliser against the barcodes on a freezing sunday afternoon..
    Johny Robinson's equaliser and no-one leaving for about 5 mins after the final whistle after the 3.3 against united- (possibly my best ever match)
    Mill's exocet (sp) against Villa to keep the hope alive..

(all high scoring draws eh! what does that say about me?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Until you get banned Henry ;0)

They wouldn't dare.

I wouldn't be so sure........