Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Charlton Athletic Moment

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Until you get banned Henry ;0)

They wouldn't dare.

I wouldn't be so sure........

LAYNAY
  • Options
    I'm a Johnny-come-lately.

I didn't realise there'd been any favourite Charlton Athletic moments.
    Booooooo!

;o)
  • Options
    Play Off final, Pompey at The Valley, St Andrews game etc etc but the one moment that sticks out for me was standing behind the goal at Brunton Park as Jim Tolmin's 30 yard back pass went into the net off the post. Dunno why but that moment always sticks out.
  • Options
    Other fond memories...with a Steve Gritt bias;

Gritty in goal at Palace on a Boxing Day.

Gritty in goal at Coventry (he played well despite the thrashing!)

Gritty slamming one in v Aston Villa at Selhurst after a lightning quick break by Paul Williams.

Gritty giving it the "old heave ho" in front of the fans after the Leeds play off win at St Andrews.

Gritty drilling one in through a crowd in the last minute at Port Vale for the equaliser.

Gritty playing the perfect cover drive off of John Price in the Charlton FC v Lords Taverners match at Canterbury (not a surprise cos he was a very decent bat)
  • Options
    Glad someone mentioned Steve McKenzie's goal at Highbury.

He liked scorng against them. There was another McKenzie goal I remember v Arsenal at Selhurst one Boxing Day. Talk about a netbuster. I was convinced that it was going to fly through the back of the goal, and I can recall saying to my kids at the time that I didn't think I had ever seen a football propelled harder or faster than that kick.

If we're talking about more general happy memories, a moment at The Dell during the 86/87 season comes to mind. I was helping to round-up the kids onto the Junior Reds coach and the team were getting on their coach in the car park at the same time.

My nine year old saw John Humphrey and said:

"I'm going to go and ask him why he got sent off".

He trotted over and asked him and I thought no more of it.

Then, as we were pulling out of the car park, one of the other lads said to him :

"So did Humphrey tell you why he got sent off?''

"Yes," he answered in one of those high-pitched, piercing nine year old voices that carried throughout the entire coach as if being amplified. '' He said he doesn't know why because all he did was ask the linesman if he was f***ing blind.''

I know we should have disapproved and JH shouldn't have said that to a nine year old boy etc.

But I swear the coach started swaying from side to side because everyone - kids and responsible adults alike - was falling off their seats laughing so hard.

Just one of those silly, magical moments you never forget. Think we got a point with ten men, too...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Other fond memories...with a Steve Gritt bias;

Gritty slamming one in v Aston Villa at Selhurst after a lightning quick break by Paul Williams.

Gritty giving it the "old heave ho" in front of the fans after the Leeds play off win at St Andrews.

Gritty drilling one in through a crowd in the last minute at Port Vale for the equaliser.

Gritty playing the perfect cover drive off of John Price in the Charlton FC v Lords Taverners match at Canterbury (not a surprise cos he was a very decent bat)

Who was your favourite player then, Simmo......?

;o)
  • Options
    What about Carl Leaburn going berserk at the Battle of Stamford Bridge?
  • Options
    Oggy...believe it or not I thought Gritty was crap! BUT he was a great trier...the ultimate trier...and he did ok with such limited ability....or sort of poor man's Steve Brown I guess and thus deserves a mention on threads such as these.

But in answer to your question, Gritt doesn't feature near the top in my favourite player thing....John Humphrey for me was top of the pile. Not only was he a great trier, he was a class player too. And I was so excited when we signed him because I remembered he'd scored a net buster for Wolves v QPR the previous season on the box. Years later he told me that what you didn't see on TV was that it got a slight nick off the defender which took it over the keeper! How about that for class?!

PS: I loved Alex Dyer too. He looked like he had fun when he played.....and he was another really nice fella.
  • Options
    1/ Football wise it has to be the first game back at the Valley and the play off final.

2/ My first away game on a coach coming back from Plymouth when I was a young lad, the guys on the back seat stripped a young lady who was with them and held her up to the window whenever we passed a parade of shops or people walking on the street, she did not struggle, she was loving it.

3/ When my young daughter asked me during her third game at the Valley how we all knew the referee was a "Banker"
  • Options
    Taking 8,000 to Selhurst Park.

Winning at Swindon in the rain.

Winning against the giants of the premiership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Other fond memories...with a Steve Gritt bias;

You've forgotten Gritty's best ever goal, his 25 yard rocket at home to QPR in 1988 to secure a 1-1 draw with virtually the last kick of the match!!! Great goal and I bloody loved Gritty too.
  • Options
    Play off final.

Giving Scott Parker the man of the match champagne at Old Trafford in 2004.

A very happy Richard Murray writing a message to Addickted, on my chest, after the 2-0 home win against Palace.

FA cup win against Coventry in 2000.

Steve Brown Scoring a pile-driver of a shot from 35 yards (cant remember who it was against)

Simon Royce dancing to "you should have stayed at the Valley" and Shaun Barletts goal of the Season in the same game.
  • Options
    Ormiston...I remembered it last night. I was on the Holmesdale for that one and, due to the available space, was able to perform a lap of honour shortly after it hit the back of the net! NOT a favourite moment from the 2nd minute of the very same match...Micky Bennett going in for a suicidal tackle and putting himself out for months. He was never the same player again and that was such a shame because when he got motoring, he was seriously rapid and an exciting player to watch.
  • Options
    Was that the same game Bennett got crocked? I had forgotten about that.

You are right though, he was never quite the same after that was he? He was great as part of our "Black Magic" front four of Bennett - Williams - Leaburn - Mortimer - they were brilliant for at least....six weeks!!!
  • Options
    Pretty sure he went in with Alan McDonald (who previously was one of our better loanees..1983). It was all fair on McDonald's part but Bennett over committed himself. So sad, because those four were magic to watch together...so direct and played with no fear whatsoever. I loved watching that team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Pretty sure he went in with Alan McDonald (who previously was one of our better loanees..1983). It was all fair on McDonald's part but Bennett over committed himself. So sad, because those four were magic to watch together...so direct and played with no fear whatsoever. I loved watching that team.

Me too, that little winning streak we had early in the season when we beat Norwich 3-1 away when they were top was fecking brilliant. That was the day Morts scored the first of his specials....
  • Options
    Ormiston...(don't know how to use that yellow quote thingy) That Norwich game still haunts me a bit. Got to Liverpool St and there were no trains (live in West London...so coach travel never been my thing) and I missed the game! Ended up sitiing behind Nigel Benn at West Ham v Arsenal (couldn't see much...he was big b*stard!) which was 4-1 to Arsenal but would have rather been at Norwich for the 3-1 (Williams 2 goals & as you say the first ever Mortimer weave and slow shot into the corner). Mick Bennett set up one of the Williams' goals with a major league burn up down the right wing and decent cross. Halcyon days.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Ormiston...(don't know how to use that yellow quote thingy) That Norwich game still haunts me a bit. Got to Liverpool St and there were no trains (live in West London...so coach travel never been my thing) and I missed the game! Ended up sitiing behind Nigel Benn at West Ham v Arsenal (couldn't see much...he was big b*stard!) which was 4-1 to Arsenal but would have rather been at Norwich for the 3-1 (Williams 2 goals & as you say the first ever Mortimer weave and slow shot into the corner). Mick Bennett set up one of the Williams' goals with a major league burn up down the right wing and decent cross. Halcyon days.....

Just hit the quote link in the top-right hand corner.....

Top, top game, we went up there with the old Junior Reds expecting a defeat because Norwich were flying and could not believe what was happening in the second half - the Wurzels could not believe it either!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Ormiston...I remembered it last night. I was on the Holmesdale for that one and, due to the available space, was able to perform a lap of honour shortly after it hit the back of the net! NOT a favourite moment from the 2nd minute of the very same match...Micky Bennett going in for a suicidal tackle and putting himself out for months. He was never the same player again and that was such a shame because when he got motoring, he was seriously rapid and an exciting player to watch.

Yep...

That was the match just after we'd won the Guinness Soccer Six thing at Manchester G-Mex. Mickey Bennett was out for around 18 months in all and just when he'd recovered we sold him to Wimbledon, who had little or no use for a winger like Bennett and his career stagnated.
  • Options
    Ah the Guinness Socccer Six's - who remembers beating Liverpool in the final? Can someone please remind me of the score and the scorers? I am sure we came back from 3-0 down? Happy days indeed watching that on Sportsnight on the BBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've still got those Soccer Sixes on a video somewhere in the attic !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Ah the Guinness Socccer Six's - who remembers beating Liverpool in the final? Can someone please remind me of the score and the scorers? I am sure we came back from 3-0 down? Happy days indeed watching that on Sportsnight on the BBC.

The story/rumour was that we'd only entered the competition because we had been playing one of the Manchester clubs that previous weekend and so stayed on to play in the qualifying heats on the Sunday, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.

I remember Charlton playing Liverpool in one of the qualifying matches, at one point we were losing and Motty going into condescending mode and saying that was to be expected as playing five-a-side matches featured heavily in Liverpool's training and so they were more used to that game than Charlton - then we started scoring goals and ran out winners by something like 7-5 or 7-6.
  • Options
    1.Playoff final
    2.Charlton 4 Chelski 2
    3. Singing Valley Floyd Road for the last 10 minutes of our home life in the Prem.
  • Options
    We beat Liverpool 6-3 from being 3-0 down (I think John Durnin scored a hat trick for them), we then beat West Ham 6-2 and beat Forest 2-1 in the final. I've still got that on video somewhere as well-I remember my dad letting me stay up late to watch it on Sportsnight. Happy memories, can you imagine top flight players doing something like that in the middle of the season now?
  • Options
    LBTSword;

Stevie Browns 35 yarder was against Bradford at the Valley;
    I was in the covered end and shouted "hit it" to much amusement around me, then the cheering started !!!
  • Options
    I remember Charlton playing Liverpool in one of the qualifying matches, at one point we were losing and Motty going into condescending mode and saying that was to be expected as playing five-a-side matches featured heavily in Liverpool's training and so they were more used to that game than Charlton - then we started scoring goals and ran out winners by something like 7-5 or 7-6.[/quote]

Yep...0-3 down, won 6-3 and Motson giving it the full Liverpool arse lick because they were always "playing small sided games on the training ground." (and he probably lobbed in a few bits about the poxy boot room too) Well they played played a small sided game that night until Mick Bennett got amongst 'em and took 'em to the cleaners! It was great and I seem to remember the priceless look on Ronnie Moran's boat as the goals were raining in! Good crack and we got £50k for winning the final.

PS: Actually got nothing against Liverpool, it was always a top place to go but I wonder if we'll ever play at Anfield again?
  • Options
    CommentAuthorLiveByTheSword CommentTime1 day ago quote# 73

Steve Brown Scoring a pile-driver of a shot from 35 yards (cant remember who it was against)

Bradford At Home, played on a Sunday, I think it was a 1.00pm kick off and it was on TV. Also had a big fight with Kins, Robbo and a few other having a go at the Bradford players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]We beat Liverpool 6-3 from being 3-0 down (I think John Durnin scored a hat trick for them), we then beat West Ham 6-2 and beat Forest 2-1 in the final. I've still got that on video somewhere as well-I remember my dad letting me stay up late to watch it on Sportsnight. Happy memories, can you imagine top flight players doing something like that in the middle of the season now?

Didnt Leaburn get player of the tournament?
    Think it was because all his shots went wide, and he put away the rebound whilst goalie was on the floor!!
  • Options
    Staying up this season
  • Options
    thanks Guinnessaddick and miserableoldgit-ish
    i was about 9 or 10 at the time, just remember thinking "thats how you strike a ball".