Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can someone tell me why

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
some Charlton fans deem it necessary to sing the 'incest' song every game home and away ? It's offensive, not funny and sends out the wrong message about our Club. I'm all for singing and winding up the opposition and getting behind the team but this 'song' does none of this. No one else seems to sing it so why us ?

Comments

• Options
    when were playing a country bumkin team ala norwich, plymouth or bitter rivals then its not so bad, have noticed its comming a weekly song now no mater who we play, i first remeber singing it a fulham away the season we went down but it was aimed at Al Fayed.. in the right circumstances no harm but can see why it would cause problems to some.

• Options
    The H Block family song was funny on Saturday though!
  • Options
    i agree, as a Norwich song for example fair enough, but I think it's a rubbish song when you're playing most teams!
  • Options
    I think its hilarious when that song gets song that everyone does the clap, even the west stand!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I think its hilarious when that song gets song that everyone does the clap, even the west stand!

Not sung, or even clapped, in the East stand but we are a slightly better quality over there : - )
  • Options
    I can't stand the song either but my daughter always joins in with it.

Perhaps it is an older vyounger generation thing.
  • Options
    I dont like it myself... probably once a season song
  • Options
    Love the song!! I think you may be right Len!
  • Options
    not bothered by it, but its probably sung cos not allot of people know the words to many other songs??
  • Options
    A lot of the youngsters who seem to start these chants are moronic. As others have said, had some amusement factor when sung at the farmer giles teams like Ipswich and Norwich but just completely irrelevant against anyone else and makes us look stupid, bit like singing "Dirty Northern Bastards" at Watford (which I've also heard from some of our support - just makes us look like we have no geographical knowledge whatsover). Similarly, have stood in paltry away followings of about 350 surrounded by our halfwits singing "Your ground's too big for you". Embarrassing. As well as a pitiful away following, our ground's 6,000 seats too big for us even if you believe the fictional attendances that are announced every week. If you're guilty of this and you're reading this then please come up with something witty or credible or otherwise don't bother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]If you're guilty of this and you're reading this then please come up with something witty or credible or otherwise don't bother.

You have sex with family members LOL IM SO FUNNY.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite] bit like singing "Dirty Northern Bastards" at Watford (which I've also heard from some of our support - just makes us look like we have no geographical knowledge whatsover).

I always like to think this is sung with a touch of irony.
  • Options
    feckin hell large there is enough other things to moan about than the family song.I love it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]A lot of the youngsters who seem to start these chants are moronic. As others have said, had some amusement factor when sung at the farmer giles teams like Ipswich and Norwich but just completely irrelevant against anyone else and makes us look stupid, bit like singing "Dirty Northern Bastards" at Watford (which I've also heard from some of our support - just makes us look like we have no geographical knowledge whatsover). Similarly, have stood in paltry away followings of about 350 surrounded by our halfwits singing "Your ground's too big for you". Embarrassing. As well as a pitiful away following, our ground's 6,000 seats too big for us even if you believe the fictional attendances that are announced every week. If you're guilty of this and you're reading this then please come up with something witty or credible or otherwise don't bother.

I think you are taking it all too seriously.

We could always just sing Valley Floyd Road over and over again ..................hang on a minute.

I am actually bored of VFR - there you are I have said it!

I am not keen on the "incest" song but if people want to sing it then so what? I did think it was funny when the J block sang it to the H block.
  • Options
    mr largo, i am one that sings boths songs and enjoy singing them, if that makes me a moron or a halfwit them oh well least i am gonna have a bit of banter other than sitting on my hands waiting for half time to get out the flask and half a nice cup of tea. This is football not a game of bowls!! and i think your quite right 1905, VFR does bcome rather boring after the 4th or 5th time of singing it , but i will still sing it as im there to support my club and we dont really have any other song that everyone knows the words to.
  • Options
    Re.....the dirty northern b*****ds chant......

I remember reading that when Falmouth Town played Truro Town, the Falmouth Kop (all nine of them) chanted "You dirty northern b*****ds". Now, that was good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Re.....the dirty northern b*****ds chant......

I remember reading that when Falmouth Town played Truro Town, the Falmouth Kop (all nine of them) chanted "You dirty northern b*****ds". Now, that was good.

Plymouth sing it just about everywhere they travel //////
  • Options
    This fella loves it:

Josef_Fritzl_280_478162a.jpg
  • Options
    The Norf starts at the River Thames. FACT!
  • Options
    I cringed at the chants at norwich fans "you're just a small team in ipswich"
    as the crow flies thats almost like comparing us to brighton.

I don't sing the 'incest' song, but can see why it is sung. the words are easy to pick up and some kids think its hilarious. *sigh* I think its a bit wrong myself, but unless others come up with other songs then it'll stick unfortunately. I do also hate the way it is sung every game though. I also don't sing parts of the "south london is wonderful" song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]bit like singing "Dirty Northern Bastards" at Watford (which I've also heard from some of our support - just makes us look like we have no geographical knowledge whatsover).

I always like to think this is sung with a touch of irony.

I agree it is done with irony and that's what makes it funny.
  • Options
    Pretty much any song that people join in is a good thing, christ its bloody quiet enough as it is. And lets be fair not the most difficult song in the world to learn.

You gotta see the funny side of it
  • Options
    Suzi said:
    "I also don't sing parts of the "south london is wonderful" song."
    Would that be the 'full of chips, grannies and Charlton' line?
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]The H Block family song was funny on Saturday though!

As an H block resident I didnt find that song at all funny.I even turned to my sister and said ' mum that songs right out of order'.My dad just said 'Your right bruv'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]The H Block family song was funny on Saturday though!

As an H block resident I didnt find that song at all funny.I even turned to my sister and said ' mum that songs right out of order'.My dad just said 'Your right bruv'.

PMSL!
  • Options
    First time I noticed that particular song was when it was being used to bait one Mr N. Weaver of Manchester.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Suzi said:
    "I also don't sing parts of the "south london is wonderful" song."
    Would that be the 'full of chips, grannies and Charlton' line?
    ;-)

I thought it was Knives, Guns and Charlton?
  • Options
    I thought it was ships, granaries and Charlton?
  • Options
    We could always just sing Valley Floyd Road over and over again ..................hang on a minute.

I am actually bored of VFR - there you are I have said it! quote]

That's exactly my point - we've got about 5 chants now. Go back ten years and I could name you 50 chants that got a regular airing. Even when we play a proper Northern team they never get the full rendition of Dirty Northern Bastards anymore but they always get Adams family - which one's more relevant?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]We could always just sing Valley Floyd Road over and over again ..................hang on a minute.

I am actually bored of VFR - there you are I have said it! quote]

That's exactly my point - we've got about 5 chants now. Go back ten years and I could name you 50 chants that got a regular airing. Even when we play a proper Northern team they never get the full rendition of Dirty Northern Bastards anymore but they always get Adams family - which one's more relevant?!

So alcohol abuse and wife beating or Incest.

Umm, interesting moral debate but perhaps AFKA and Lookie would rather we didn't go there