Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EDIT Reserves win 3-1 at Dripping pan with Trialist and Weaver.

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Does seem like it.

I wonder if he saw how good he became on FM in the future and thought he has already made it...

There was a promising player at Leeds around 2000/2001, Jamie McMaster, who just couldn't handle the pressure in the end. Apparently a lot of the expectations stemmed from his potential on Championship Manager.

I remember him, he was absolutely brilliant on that game a few years back.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    I'm sorry, am I reading this right, people actually have expectations of players just because a computer software programme on a games console makes them look good?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it's a youth thing E.

I don't get it either but I hear the chap who does the Charlton players posts on here sometimes : - )
  • Options
    To be fair to the people at CM/FM - a lot of the youngsters on the game do end up to be pretty good in real life so the research is pretty good.

But then again, Danny Cadamateri was a world beater in one version...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Yes, it's a youth thing E.

I don't get it either but I hear the chap who does the Charlton players posts on here sometimes : - )

LOL, yes, but writing the basic programme and stats etc is one thing, people actually basing a players ability on that in real life is another, and quite odd IMO.
  • Options
    I think I have even read somewhere in the past that there are some managers who do the initial stages of their scouting through the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I think I have even read somewhere in the past that there are some managers who do the initial stages of their scouting through the game.

David Moyles openly admitted he had a copy of the database and had the club had used it as a 'prescouting' method

I would be very surprised if the large number of clubs didnt use the database
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    No problem with that as a database, but I will never get my head around people believing the player must be good because he is on CM, completely crackers, I'm buying a Wii sports soon, doesn't make me the next Klaus Hammer does it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite] I'm buying a Wii sports soon, doesn't make me the next Klaus Hammer does it.

Do you want the honest answer ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I'm buying a Wii sports soon, doesn't make me the next Klaus Hammer does it.

Do you want the honest answer ??

LOL, yes, but be sensitive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite] I'm sorry, am I reading this right, people actually have expectations of players just because a computer software programme on a games console makes them look good?

It's created from a huge scouting network across the world. Given the work that goes into scouting players at so many levels it's no surprise people take notice of it. As the link says it is only used as a rough guide by everton (for obvious reasons), but just that they use it at all is pretty amazing and shows why it is different from other computer games.

Everton sign a deal to use FM
  • Options
    Ended up going to this last night, not too far from me.

Weaver - Didn't have much to do, didn't have to make any proper saves. Can't really remember but not his fault for the goal.

Solly - Not as good as he was in the Spurs youth cup match, but did ok. Obviously other side of the pitch but I don't think he's really any worse a player than Basey, though of course he's not as experienced.
    Mambo - Won everything in the air, most headers were good as well. Brighton should have realised this and not aimed their long balls around him. I like him, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't turn pro. All he does is get everything clear, like Primus and Sodje. Would help the team if he was more composed at times but he's just not that kind of defender.
    Thomas - Didn't stand out, but wasn't bad. With our defensive problems this season it shows Pardew and now Parkinson don't rate him. He'll be released in the summer and probably end up in League Two or the Conference, and I doubt we'll regret it one day.
    Clark - Like Thomas didn't stand out, doesn't look poor at anything but not great either. Not quick or powerful, so he has to read the game well to make up for that.

Wagstaff - Still don't see anything there. Quick, tries hard, but what sort of player is he? Doesn't have the skill or dribbling ability of Sam, his passing and crossing aren't particularly good to make up for it. I don't want to sound harsh but it's hard to see him breaking into our first team. It would be great to see him prove me wrong but I saw similar performances from him against Yeovil and in pre-season.
    Wright - Did ok, going to have to do a bit more to push into the first team though. Second half some good vision to see passes out wide but didn't get them quite right. With the amount of competition in midfield he needs to really impress in games like this, Brighton were mainly youngsters and not a great standard either.
    Dunne - Again was ok, some good moments, some poor ones for someone who's come through the Arsenal academy. Probably on a similar level to Wright, but of course this is only one game and he's not played with our team before.
    Yussuff - Played as he always has when I've seen him, nice tidy simple passing, decent touch and comfortable enough on the ball. Won't try anything stupid like trying to dribble though a crowded area, or look for a ridiculously hard killer pass. Should be a decent player. Think he's on the wing because we have plenty of CMs and he's left footed, though looks comfortable enough there.

Shelvey - Level above everyone else on the pitch, can see playing with better players would help him. Took a couple of friends along, they both said the same sort of thing. Good touch and passing, and behind the striker he can score goals rather than just be a creative passer. Good free kick, looked like he had a good chance of scoring it when he was lining up to take it. Just has that bit of class at times and knows what to do, makes the odd mistake but we all know he's going to keep improving.

Fleetwood - Seen him a few times before and still not impressed. Quick, not good in the air, runs around a bit. Was unlucky to be called offside when he might have got through on goal. We didn't exactly create chances for him but I don't see anything special there with him. He didn't impress on loan at Brighton in League One, probably not going to make it with us especially if we stay up.

Long and Perkins came on, both did ok but didn't get enough time to be able to watch them properly. I don't see much difference between Long and Clark, maybe because Solly is there and Clark being left footed they didn't see how Long will be able to break through.

As for FM, a few years ago before Taylor Sinfield was on the game, I got an email from one of his friends asking if he could be added and he helped out with his details, strengths and weaknesses. I'd imagine a lot of them like to see how they're rated each year and there are players that play the game, usually hear that they like to buy themselves.
  • Options
    Better report than usually gets put on for 1st team games, cheers Scoham.
  • Options
    Nice one Scoham, very informative!
  • Options
    cheers Scoham great feedback.

Wasn't there, but must so your descriptions are very similar to my own views of when i have seen these individuals play.
  • Options
    Parkinson just said on the OS he won't yet make a decision on Dunne. I think the problem there is we really don't need more central midfielders. Maybe next season if some of them leave, but that all depends on which division we're in.