Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++++Barnsley v Charlton - Match thread+++++

Comments

• Options
    What's done us today are the results at the bottom of the table have not gone our way at all otherwise a draw would have been a good result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Did he actually play the first 11 for 93 minutes and not bring on any fresh legs? Mental.

Why is that mental?

Perhaps if Parky had brought on Sam/Shelvey they might just have made the difference in a tight game.

I'm not convinced that Parky uses his subs well.
  • Options
    Take the point, lads.

Sure we could have done with a win, especially with some duff other results.
    But 2 clean sheets and 2 unbeaten matches is deffo something to build on.

We look like a team at last.

And while we could do with a sprint, it's where we are after 46 matches is the only thing that really counts..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Did he actually play the first 11 for 93 minutes and not bring on any fresh legs? Mental.

Why is that mental?

Perhaps if Parky had brought on Sam/Shelvey they might just have made the difference in a tight game.

I'm not convinced that Parky uses his subs well.

It's all 'if's and but's' BFR...maybe it might have worked but it's way OTT for folk who wern't even there to say what he should have done....he'll get critcised anyway, so he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
  • Options
    A point really isn't the end of the world. I am disappointed that we didn't win but we look like we have something to build on, and if we can keep pulling out draws and occassional wins away from home by keeping clean sheets, we will catch up before the end of the season. There will be weeks like this where a point doesn't seem enough but it really is, if we stay consistent.

We can't be beaten if we don't concede.
  • Options
    opportunity wasted....game was there for the taking....I think Shelvey would be upset not to get on having scored twice in midweek and the game for the taking....I don't blame him if he won't sign with us....
  • Options
    eight points from saftey and a game in hand

after we beat swansea next week should be 5 point from saftey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]eight points from saftey and a game in hand

Sounds good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]eight points from saftey and a game in hand

And we still have the game in hand over Plymouth, Forest and Norwich...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all 'if's and but's' BFR...maybe it might have worked but it's way OTT for folk who wern't even there to say what he should have done....he'll get critcised anyway, so he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Yep, but we have some attacking options on the bench and to not use them in the last few minutes of a match is a waste. At nil-nil the game is there to be won - and Parky didn't appear to want to take the gamble on sticking Shelvey an/or Sam on and taking the chance. Attack can also be a form of defence and fresh legs might have helped keep Barnsley on the back foot.

A point is ok and obvously better than nothing, but maybe with a bit of adventure it could have been three...
  • Options
    I don't think we'll beat Swansea. But today is still progress, if a little disappointing.

We are one point closer to safety than yesterday (i think) and we didn't get turned over.

We are playing more like a team and are beginning to hopefully see the first signs of some solidity and consistency.

Hope springs eternal!
  • Options
    For a team that has won away, what, once all season (?) and has lost the last 47 on the bounce (or at least it seems that way) then a point away from home and not conceeding a goal is not a bad result.

Can't help feeling it's not enough though.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Obviously a win would have been nice but a point is better than.... as our northern friends say....nowt! Pity Preston f@cked up against Southampton of all teams, but for us 2 clean sheets and 4 points is not bad at all and represents reasonable form, a bit of the spirit we were all calling for has returned a wee bit - no reason why we can't win the next two games....believe, come on you addicks!
  • Options
    swansea are a good team....Barnsley sounded terrible...I would have gone for it today.....
  • Options
    First time in over a year and more than 50 games that we've kept consecutive clean sheets which is definitely a positive.
  • Options
    The games are mounting up for Swansea...but we have Doncaster and Watford at home after (I think) and we must win those games. Neither are playing badly on recent form and the Swans have had a great season. We might rue not being a little more adventurous today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]opportunity wasted....game was there for the taking....I think Shelvey would be upset not to get on having scored twice in midweek and the game for the taking....I don't blame him if he won't sign with us....

To put Shelvey on, might have opened the game up - and we might have snatched a winner.

But supposing bringing him on, unbalanced the side - and contributed to a late Barnsley goal.....?
    Then you would have your knife out for Parky, right?

This might have been an occasion where Parky deemed it was better not to change things and bring home the point,
    then take a risk.

A defeat would have been hugely psycholgically damaging.
    But being unbeaten builds player's belief, confidence and feel good factor.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The games are mounting up for Swansea...but we have Doncaster and Watford at home after (I think) and we must win those games. Neither are playing badly on recent form and the Swans have had a great season. We might rue not being a little more adventurous today.
    Good point BFR. Das klingt gut!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]For a team that has won away, what, once all season (?) and has lost the last 47 on the bounce (or at least it seems that way) then a point away from home and not conceeding a goal is not a bad result.

Can't help feeling it's not enough though.

One away win in the leage - Doncaster and one away win in the cup - Norwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at first disappointed that we didn't get the win but it sounded like we did a job of frustrating them in the second half. we could have scored and I'd like to see what happened with the penalty appeal right at the end.

I'll take the point, we need to maintain a positive attitude, it could have been worse.
  • Options
    To put Shelvey on, might have opened the game up - and we might have snatched a winner.

But supposing bringing him on, unbalanced the side - and contributed to a late Barnsley goal.....?

I'd sooner he made mistakes through being positive than being negative/defensive. You could equally argue that attack is the best form of defence and fresh legs in midfield might have made Barnsley wary about over-attacking and leaving themselves open to counter attack.

All in all a point is ok, but in such a tight game the gamble was worth taking.
  • Options
    Barnsley will be feeling the loss of the points more than we are .
    Something to build on , the dream is still alive!
  • Options
    A point today and 4 wins on the bounce coming up, things are not all bad guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]To put Shelvey on, might have opened the game up - and we might have snatched a winner.

I'd sooner he made mistakes through being positive than being negative/defensive. You could equally argue that attack is the best form of defence and fresh legs in midfield might have made Barnsley wary about over-attacking and leaving themselves open to counter attack.

All in all a point is ok, but in such a tight game the gamble was worth taking.

The biggest problem with the side in recent months has been the lack of belief within the team - and the fact players have not been able to be rid of the fear of losing factor.

Belief and confidence of the players will be the biggest factor deciding whether we will stay up at the end of the season.
    And you only get that by stringing together unbeaten results.

For the moment, forget player's ability - football is psychological game.
  • Options
    Aren't we a point closer to escaping the relegation zone than before kick off today?

Still need 9 wins, so it's still looking unlikely.

4 points in two games, carry on this form until the end of the season we would be around 50?
  • Options
    We got a point its, better than none.

I feel the team is beginning to gel.

Parky took over a plumeting aeroplane. Remember we were always letting in 3 some times 5 goals. That has thankfully stopped. It' takes time pull out of a dive. I just hope there is still time to avoid hitting the ground
  • Options
    The biggest problem with the side in recent months has been the lack of belief within the team - and the fact players have not been able to be rid of the fear of losing factor.

Belief and confidence of the players will be the biggest factor deciding whether we will stay up at the end of the season.
    And you only get that by stringing together unbeaten results.

For the moment, forget player's ability - football is psychological game.

I agree about the team's wretched state of confidence, but then again a win would have been a much better boost than a draw.

What is important is that the players have confidence in each other, and have the collective self-belief that they are on the up, but they must respect and trust Parky as a manager to give them the tools to dig themselves out of the mire. If they think that Parky is being negative and not wanting to risk going for a win in such circumstances as today then that will drag their confidence back. So for me this result will have to be seen in context with the next few matches - a couple of wins and we can look back on this a point gained, a couple of defeats and it'll be two lost.
  • Options
    Before today - I'd based our recent form of 6 points in 4 games as a marker for safety.

That would have given us another 18 points after 44 games.- leaving 2 matches, away to Derby, home to Norwich to reach safety.

Obviously, it doesn't take account of draws, but does allow for 6 defeats and still stay up.

Somebody said we needed to produce promotion form. As you can see, even steady mid-table form would probably be enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Before today - I'd based our recent form of 6 points in 4 games as a marker for safety.

That would have given us another 18 points after 44 games.- leaving 2 matches, away to Derby, home to Norwich to reach safety.

Obviously, it doesn't take account of draws, but does allow for 6 defeats and still stay up.

Somebody said we needed to produce promotion form. As you can see, even steady mid-table form would probably be enough.

Some good points...but winning the six pointers means that mid-table form is likely to be enough. Lose/drop points to the teams around you and nothing much changes.