Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++++Barnsley v Charlton - Match thread+++++

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The biggest problem with the side in recent months has been the lack of belief within the team - and the fact players have not been able to be rid of the fear of losing factor.

Belief and confidence of the players will be the biggest factor deciding whether we will stay up at the end of the season.
    And you only get that by stringing together unbeaten results.

For the moment, forget player's ability - football is psychological game.

I agree about the team's wretched state of confidence, but then again a win would have been a much better boost than a draw.

What is important is that the players have confidence in each other, and have the collective self-belief that they are on the up, but they must respect and trust Parky as a manager to give them the tools to dig themselves out of the mire. If they think that Parky is being negative and not wanting to risk going for a win in such circumstances as today then that will drag their confidence back. So for me this result will have to be seen in context with the next few matches - a couple of wins and we can look back on this a point gained, a couple of defeats and it'll be two lost.

Maybe. Maybe not.

It's easy enough for any of us to sit behind a keyboard in judgement - but as Parky is part of the action and knows his players better than you or me, then we have to trust he's made the right decision.

To go gung-ho for a winner - yet lose, would undo much of what has been achieved recently.

Anyway, we've not been beaten, it's a point on the board, and Barnsley themselves are still enmeshed in the relegation web.

Sothe 'it's a marathon, not a sprint' analogy has to be trotted out, I'm afraid. ;o)
    Remember, it's where we finish after 46 games that counts. Not where are in February.
  • Options
    It seems to me that it's still all about the home form, but I don't think I can face trying to do the maths.

We seem to keep failing to take chances to really get back into it and that makes results like today's harder to take.
  • Options
    Don't worry, Claus ..... it'll be alright.

Just deal with one game at a time - and keep your sanity.

;o)
  • Options
    To go gung-ho for a winner - yet lose, would undo much of what has been achieved recently.

Yep, but as I say above, we seemed to settle for a point. I'm not suggesting he should have gone for it early in the match, but with 10-15 minutes to go and with poor opponents not offering an obvious threat it would have worth using one or two of the attacking options on the bench. As much as anything tired players are more likely to make a mistake than an over-attacking philosophy. Sometimes you have to take a punt, I'd have made the gamble.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Don't worry, Claus ..... it'll be alright.

Just deal with one game at a time - and keep your sanity.

;o)

Oggy, I'm just going to believe what you say there. That'll make it easier to enjoy my saturday night!
  • Options
    Not a bad result, as the OS says we've ended a run 8 away defeats in a row, and we've kept two clean sheets in a row.

Wasn't there but I'd like to see at least one of Sam, Todorov or Shelvey come on in a tight game, all of them are more likely to create something than most other players in our squad. Could be the difference between a draw and a win.

It's still possible, we need to win most of our home games and get whatever points we can away. Need a few wins but this should boost confidence away from home.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i think it is a huge step forward tbh

if you dont think that then fair enough, yes we could have done with a win but you do the maths get draws away for the remainder of the season win the home games and we are home and dry, i was more pissed off with the comentary than the result

we play well and lose or we play ok and get a point what would you rather

and dont say play well or bad and lwin as a our form has been shit yes teams around us have won but like i said on the were staying up thread win the home games and dont lose too many more away and we will be ok
  • Options
    Well said, Mr Nth London Addick!
  • Options
    On the OS right now:

"Parkinson opted against making changes in the second period, the first time the bench has not been utilised this season.

And he justified his retention of the starting XI at Oakwell, stating: "With the team we've got out there at the moment I felt our front two were more likely to score as Barnsley's back four tired.

"And across the midfield I feel we have players most likely to score. [Nicky] Bailey has scored seven, [Tom] Soares scored recently and [Matt] Spring and [Therry] Racon have both scored a couple so I felt I had all my goalscorers on the pitch.

"I liked the balance of the team and wanted to leave it as it was.”
  • Options
    I think he was right. We were the team most likely to score, we were going forward and pushing for the win. We just didn't quite have enough in the end. Sometimes changes can unbalance a team.