Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blame the Ref !!

Sorry (again) if I've missed a previous similar thread but........

Managers and players blame the referees for everything that goes wrong in todays football. Even us fans join in on it.
So, I found it "refreshing" to see an interview with Martin Johnson (I think, I'm no Rugby fan) who blamed himself and his team for all the penalties and sin-bins that his team were guilty of after Saturdays defeat to Ireland. I'm not one of these "football should follow Rugbys example by......." people, just a realist who, if I make a mistake at work will apologies straight away and work bloody hard to correct it. Pardew went slightly up in my estimation when, questioned on the first 3 red cards Charlton recieved under his "leadership" blamed the players, NOT the referee, each time. Referees will always make mistakes (ala. Stuart Atwell last night), but some of them are big enough to apologies to both the managers and the clubs after. How many managers, players or even fans say sorry to a referee after calling it wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    Like Saturday when I gave a few yellows and one red for two yellows. No apology from the players or management. One side's official calling me a c**t from the sidelines and confronting me after the final whistle basically saying I shouldn't have sent the player off as he's a 'nice bloke' and I shouldn't have shown any card as his team have to pay the fines. I'd never heard so much nonsense spewed at me and he's done it before the two times I've refereed his side before....I thought I'd had a good game!!!
  • Options
    Can't you report him too Spankie? Sounds like he needs a word in the ear from the local FA?
  • Options
    He didn't really do anything worthy of misconduct. I knew he was calling me a c**t from the sideline but chose to ignore it. Even his on players were telling him to shut up!!! He was just guilty of being a bell-end to be honest and you have to just get on with it. Just the worse type of official who has zero respect and isn't shy about letting you know about it and thinks because I am one of the younger officials he can verbally bully me...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]He didn't really do anything worthy of misconduct. I knew he was calling me a c**t from the sideline
    A total contradiction in terms that. Totally worthy of action IMO, would never ignore it.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Possibly but I didn't think it was worth the bother of having to take his name, dismiss him from the ground, write a misconduct report and go to a disciplinary commission when he lies through his back teeth. After all I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was talking loudly to his players and no one heard him. After all they told him to leave me alone...
  • Options
    that's the problem though Spankie every time you ignore him and let him get away with it he thinks he's untouchable.

I used to be more than happy to take a bit of stick but once the c word was used I wouldn't have that.

Do him next time spankie red card the lot.
  • Options
    I will do mate. He was talking to his players from the sidelines but knew I could hear so probably just for show/bravado. I will learn from that. Thanks chaps...
  • Options
    If refs were more willing or able to admit their mistakes (I'm talking about the higher level pro game) and the poor ones were removed from the game, I'd feel better for them. As things stand, I've got no sympathy.

Why the greatest sport on earth fails to use technology that is successfully employed in tin pot games, is beyond me. That would fix the whole thing.
  • Options
    I had a feeling you'd say that, fair comment!

County FA in 'not backing referee and letting another tosser off scott free' shock!
  • Options
    They probably do in private and have their faults pointed out to them by an assessor but as regards going public after every preceived mistake I think isn't the way forward. I agree technology would only benefit the game as a whole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]I had a feeling you'd say that, fair comment!

County FA in 'not backing referee and letting another tosser off scott free' shock![/quote]

LOL!!!

I hate commissions, feels like you, the referee, is on trial. I absolutely hate them with a passion!!!
  • Options
    not telling you what to do Spankie you are more experienced ref than me but using the c word at or about refs is out of order. Even if you told him you knew it was against you and if he continued you'd take action.

As you sa his players knew he was out of order and aiming it at you.

I used to hate those type of tosspot managers. I had one of those when I lined on the Cherry Trees combination Billericay against some mob near heathrow - I was lining by the dugout and he was chirping in my lughole for ages. Had a go at me for not giving a pen which he was 45 yards away from and I was 10 told him to keep it stum or I'll ge tthe ref involved. With that he went and stood in the crowd and made out he was a fan - and then the vitriol started.

Called me all the fat c's under the sun, told the ref but he said because he'd gone in the crowd we couldn't prove it was him - even though he weighed probably at least 5 stones more than me.

After the game we went to the bar and he came up to our table with some players in tow to shake hands and all that gumf - so I asked him out loud if he could let me know the diet he was on so I could go on it, as he felt I was fat , and was obviously working for him. His players pissed themselves laughing and he got the right hump - and the ref had the gall to try and tell me I was out of order. Needless to say I told the ref to do one.

You're a better man than me Spankie I have jacked it in - had enough of the abuse to a point where I wantwed to chin one player after a game - keep at it mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]If refs were more willing or able to admit their mistakes (I'm talking about the higher level pro game) and the poor ones were removed from the game, I'd feel better for them. As things stand, I've got no sympathy.

Why the greatest sport on earth fails to use technology that is successfully employed in tin pot games, is beyond me. That would fix the whole thing.
    I doubt it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]If refs were more willing or able to admit their mistakes (I'm talking about the higher level pro game) and the poor ones were removed from the game, I'd feel better for them. As things stand, I've got no sympathy.

to be fair refs do admit their mistakes when they've made one that's why red cards are rescinded. Just becuase you or I think they made a mistake does'nt mean they have- refereeing is all about opinions and the referee's opinion is all that matters in a game. If he thinks it's a foul it's a foul - it's there in the Laws of the Game - "in the opinion of the referee" - lt's about interpretation.

It's all well and good Andy Gray going by 15 different angles slowing it down 100% then dissecting the decision - the ref gets one look at it. I have stood in grounds flabbergasted by referee decisions sometimes I am no different and I am/was a qualified ref to county level but it's what the ref sees and thinks in a split second.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You're a better man than me Spankie I have jacked it in - had enough of the abuse to a point where I wantwed to chin one player after a game - keep at it mate.[/quote]

To be honest I am considering my future. I do enjoy it, the fitness, the travelling, 99% of people are very nice both club officals and match officials but it's the abuse that I suffer that really does dull my enjoyment. Last Saturday I've covered but virtually every game you're subject to abuse (from things as being told I'm useless, getting nothing right to being called a w*nker at ear bleedingly loud volume) especially on the Ryman league to the point where I'd like to turn around and volley my own abuse back at my abusers and kick off but we're told to be 'professional' and ignore it. It leaves a mark and ignoration is becoming less effective as time goes on. I really don't know what to do, season will end around mid-May but level 4 fitness test is on 7th June. Not sure I am able to make the commitment of going to such places as Ramsgate, Margate and Folkestone on a Tuesday night and not sure if I'm enjoying it enough to warrant carrying on.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    To all those who have jacked it/thinking of jacking it, have a rethink and consider doing youth football instead.

It's what I've done.

I've had enough abuse from gutless no-marks who think they can do better but don't, who take it personally if I make a totally wrong but innocent decision (when in truth I make a fraction of the wrong decisions they do in a game), and who think they can speak to another human being worse than they would a farm animal...who tell me they hope my wife gets cancer. Nice.

I prefer to do youth football where I've developed an almost zero-tolerance approach which can be fully justified, can be applied and can work...and does!

Furthermore you're part of their learning and development experience even up to 16s if they're interested, and that can give far more satsifaction than anything else. On top of that you can earn pretty much the same doing youth football.

I've refereed more this season than all previous seasons put together and I'm, having a great time. It's not perfect, there are idiots out there but they're on the touchlines and can be dealt with very effectively with the right approach, and, for the most part, you get decent backing by then counties.

Take your Saturdays back, join your local youth league (ask yours truly!) and get back to enjoying refereeing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

to be fair refs do admit their mistakes when they've made one that's why red cards are rescinded. Just becuase you or I think they made a mistake does'nt mean they have- refereeing is all about opinions and the referee's opinion is all that matters in a game. If he thinks it's a foul it's a foul - it's there in the Laws of the Game - "in the opinion of the referee" - lt's about interpretation.

It's all well and good Andy Gray going by 15 different angles slowing it down 100% then dissecting the decision - the ref gets one look at it. I have stood in grounds flabbergasted by referee decisions sometimes I am no different and I am/was a qualified ref to county level but it's what the ref sees and thinks in a split second.

I did think they were rescinded by the FA rather than the individual ref Ledge, but you'd know better to be fair.

It still doesn't cover pens, offsides or even yellow cards. Or the damage done to the team that played 80 mins a player down. Totally accept the point that they have to go on their reasonable judgement - 99% of the time they're trying to do the right thing and being at pitch level in a high speed sport must be tricky. But there are a bunch of grandstanders out there who spoil games and until they're dealt with people will keep digging out refs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    I doubt it.
    Reasoned debate.

Are you saying it would have no impact? I'd be (genuinely) interested why given that it appears to work in a bunch of other sports.
  • Options
    In rugby the referee is right even when he is wrong and always has been.

In my nearly 50 years of watching football that has never been the case as far as I can remember.

Until the football mindset becomes like rugby the problems and situations described on this thread will recur.
  • Options
    I've never much liked rugby, but I'm impressed at the discipline. I've seen a crowd booing its own player for contesting a decision. Would I be fair in saying that in terms of the flow of the game rugby's more linear and slower so it's easier? I've never heard of a rugby fan noticing a particular ref either, while we all know all about the likes of Shatwell. Maybe it doesn't appeal to grandstanders so much...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mort- you are right the FA do rescind but they ask the referee first. If he agrees he made mistake they'll rescind if he doesn't they won't.

You are right about the grandstanders but refs will only give offside if his linesman flags and will over rule if he's seen something to overrule.

I don't think technologiy can help with offsides but the FA can make it simpler it's such a nightmare to do now. Linos are on a hiding to nothing I used to hate running the line.
  • Options
    I did it once while I was waiting for my game. Forgot what I was doing and just stood watching while a bloke who was about 10 yards offside scored from a pass. Right in front of the main stand. I was merrily watching all this and I heard the crowd going mental before realising that everyone was calling me a c*nt.

Wonderful days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    I doubt it.
    Reasoned debate.

Are you saying it would have no impact? I'd be (genuinely) interested why given that it appears to work in a bunch of other sports.
    Not at all. It would definitely have some impact, maybe quite a lot. I was being a bit sarcy - if it were fixed what would the 'pundits' and 'experts' have to talk moan about?!!
  • Options
    CFW - Youth football are you stark raving mad.

It's worse than adult - the effing parents are moronic maniacs living out there childhodd in their kids , never in a million years would i ref kids football.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Standard response!

Why? What's your experience?
  • Options
    Anyone see that Ray Winston "Respect" video.
    As that Fulham guy says;

"Thats what I'm talking about".
  • Options
    Thing is no disrespect to anyone who referees, but most are completely shite, miss just about every BIg decision then wonder why the players get so stressed. Best Referee I have had this season on Saturday/Sunday was an Ex Pro Colin Powell, knew what was a bad tackle & what was an attempt to get the ball, nipped backchatting between players off the ball in the bud early & ignored linesman who were clearly cheating, let the game flow when he could as well. The players responded & respected him, probably because they KNEW he had played the game.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more Ketman.

Whenever I reffed I was always compliomented on letting the game flow by most managers etc and players certainly used to say "oh we can tell yuo've played the game" etc,

Your standard of saturday referees should be a lot better than sundays.
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] & ignored linesman who were clearly cheating, .

And then this quote - and you have the cheek to have a go at refs. When refs have to put up with this is it any wonder the standard is shite.
    It's disheartening when you are trying to ref a game and you get blatant cheaters doing the line.

I used to get club linos, and I was encouraged by my trainer to do this, to do the line that their players were attacking on so if/when they did give an offside 9/10 it was correct - I never asked or told any club linos to give offsides just used to use my own judgement because of that and clubs just put up with it

It's very rare to find an honest club linesman and until you do you'll always have these problems.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Standard response!

Why? What's your experience?

It's probably a lot better now CFW but I did 2 games for my brother's team and it was bedlam. Told him I'd never do em again.

But then I have lined u14 games at Brentford , charlton etc and the contrast was amazing - parents are not allowed to say a thing to the players or they are removed from pitch area.
  • Options
    Always makes me laugh when players can't kick a ball 10yds in a straight line, then complain the ref is shite !

Spankie, i really hope you don't jack it in, its always a pleasure having you ref us. And you are very good at it.

I think i'm reffing the Charlton Life game on Sat morning, so i look forward to a heap of ridicule on here next week !