Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luke Varney

What has happened to him?

Not even in the derby 16?

Comments

• Options
    You know, if had kept him. He would probably be quite useful for us next season...

And I'd much rather have kept him than see Deon Burton....

But at least we got recouped a decent amount back form him
  • Options
    Nigel Clough would probably pick himself before Varney
  • Options
    I think he and Dicko would have worked well... And true we did get a fairly decent sum!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I think he and Dicko would have worked well... And true we did get a fairly decent sum!

Think they'd have been too similar to work together.
  • Options
    Varnet always seemed to play best out wide- we should have converted him to a winger- much better than Ambrose
  • Options
    Stubs 100% Agree and he could pass!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stubs1310[/cite]Varnet always seemed to play best out wide- we should have converted him to a winger- much better than Ambrose

I don't think he could play out wide from midfield.

He made lots of forward runs in wide areas as a forward but that is not the same as playing on the left or right in a 442 or even 451. Could you see him tracking back or covering the full back

I still think he is a talent but his confidence is shot and he needs to get back to a team where he feels safe again.
  • Options
    Agreed, Henry. I felt for Varns, he was a lad who'd come into football late - and all he wanted to do was pinch himself how lucky he was, and enthusiastically play the game.

His major problem, was lack of composure. That's a mental/emotional thing, and if somebody could help him with that, he could be a more than decent footballer.

I'd never slag him off. For all those missed chances, he'd always run through brick walls for the shirt.
  • Options
    And he did score two goals against Palace...
  • Options
    That miss against Burnley when he rounded the keeper! AAAGGGHHH! Still gets to me thinking about it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's little things like Varns' last minute miss against Burnley, the 95th minute equalisers conceded against Argyle and Derby - that may have even turned our season around at that period.

There but for Fortune. And he's been missed too.

;o)
  • Options
    The Burnely home and Derby home really stand out for me. What might have been!

I just hope Varney is still having nightmares about that miss, because I am.
  • Options
    Can't critisise a bloke who always gave 100% for us and never tried to hide even when things were not going his way (which sadly was most of the time!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Can't critisise a bloke who always gave 100% for us and never tried to hide even when things were not going his way (which sadly was most of the time!).

Agree 100,000%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]What has happened to him?

Not even in the derby 16?

Illness
  • Options
    ah ok

Anyone noice how much he enjoyed scoring vs palace! First game in derby colours scores against em!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    We've had worse players but better and more composed finishers. No one could ever say he was disinterested, hid or didn't care either.

One of Pardew's big mistakes was trying to turn Varney, a player capable of 10 goals a season if playing regularly in a good team, into a 20-25 goal a season out and out goalscorer. Put the pressure on him, and didn't have a goalscorer next to him.
  • Options
    Agreed, Sco. Varney should never have been given the pressure of being principle striker.

It would have been better to harness his strengths - phenominal workrate and enthusiasm.

He should have been given a free-role, like he was at home to Palace last year - and allowed to play all along the width of the front line but in the hole behind the principle striker.

That way he had the freedom of the park to run at defenders, make runs from deep without being picked up, and cross or cut in from wide positions unmarked.

From a defender's point of view, he would have been virtually impossible to pick up.

He just wasn't a conventional striker.
  • Options
    I think he could have worked on left or right midfield. He is willing to track back and tackle. He does setup goals. He only works if the ball is at his feet in the channels. His movement off the shoulder of a defender was terrible. His lack of composure in front of goal, is something that won't be coached out of him at champ and above. He just doesn't look up, or take his time, everything is at full pelt.

All that said it was better to sell him, than try and convert him to a winger where he wasn't comfortable. I only wanted him there earlier in the season, as the side had to be packed with all the triers and Andy Gray. The majority of players were putting no pressure on ball and showing no effort. He was never one of those.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]You know, if had kept him. He would probably be quite useful for us next season...

And I'd much rather have kept him than see Deon Burton....

But at least we got recouped a decent amount back form him

Which went straight to pay off Pardew.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd have him back tomorrow. On work rate alone, he got played up top on his own a fair few times which was grossly unfair on him yet he still chased everything and looked more threatening in the air than so called target men we have at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Can't critisise a bloke who always gave 100% for us and never tried to hide even when things were not going his way (which sadly was most of the time!).

Yes you can, effort isnt everything is this life mate.
  • Options
    It is - when most of your team mates can't be arsed
  • Options
    No, I can go out there and run myself to death( and for CAFC I'd do that weekly with ease), it means nothing because I'm shite at footy.
  • Options
    My brother has a standard for judging Charlton players.

If you saw them in a pub in 10 years time would you think

"yeah, may or may not have been a great player but put in a shift for the team so I'll go up and shake his hand"

Or

"was he a total arse when he played for us and no I wouldn't shake his hand"

For me Varney is in the "I'd go up and shake his hand" category.
  • Options
    Yeah, me too, Henry.

You can't knock a player for being honest and committed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Yeah, me too, Henry.

You can't knock a player for being honest and committed.

totally, not a football genius but would be happy to have a drink with him.

Not so Defoe who is a much better player
  • Options
    I don't know about having a drink with De Foe, but you can have a drink with me when I come up for the Preston game.
    Lib?

;o)
  • Options
    I don't knock varney as a person at all, tried his hardest for us, can't ask more than that.

Don't change the fact he's gash though, does it.
  • Options
    SE7SE7
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]I don't knock varney as a person at all, tried his hardest for us, can't ask more than that.

Don't change the fact he's gash though, does it.

Agreed, but lets face it, like many others, Pardew played him out of position, he always impressed me when he played out on the right