Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was Colin Cameron wrong ????

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Anyone have the last home programme to hand ?

I'm sure in his column he says there are something like five teams we have never played a professional game against. One of them he said was Wycombe, but weren't they who knocked us out the cup when Uncle Les was in charge ?

Is the great historian losing it ????

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Is the great historian losing it ????
    That's just wishful thinking on your part, you obviously want his job :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    They may have knocked us out but we played anything but a professional game that night!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone have the last home programme to hand ?

I'm sure in his column he says there are something like five teams we have never played a professional game against. One of them he said was Wycombe, but weren't they who knocked us out the cup when Uncle Les was in charge ?

Is the great historian losing it ????

I noticed that too.

I wondered if I'd misread it so was going to reread later but didn't get around to it.

I've got the programme at home.
  • Options
    CAMERON OUT! BOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    He did.

Only at Charlton

I think this just shows the decline at the club and just how close it is to total oblivion.

This would never have happened when Curbs was in charge.

Surely this proves beyond any doubt that the club LIE to us, something that I blame on Richard Chappell and Derek Murray.

Had enough of Cameron now. OK, he's done a decent job for 107 years but you're only as good as your last column. He has to go.

No doubt the usual rose-tinted glasses wearing, mustn't criticise the club, it will be OK brigade will try and stick up for him and say it's only a minor slip up but they are wrong. If we tolerate this the Spot the Difference will be next.

Just too many mistakes from Cameron, a so called Charlton fan. Sack him and get the rest of the press team out at the same time. Don't they proof read the programme. They employ Colin so they must take all the blame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]He did.

Only at Charlton

I think this just shows the decline at the club and just how close it is to total oblivion.

This would never have happened when Curbs was in charge.

Surely this proves beyond any doubt that the club LIE to us, something that I blame on Richard Chappell and Derek Murray.

Had enough of Cameron now. OK, he's done a decent job for 107 years but you're only as good as your last column. He has to go.

No doubt the usual rose-tinted glasses wearing, mustn't criticise the club, it will be OK brigade will try and stick up for him and say it's only a minor slip up but they are wrong. If we tolerate this the Spot the Difference will be next.

Just too many mistakes from Cameron, a so called Charlton fan. Sack him and get the rest of the press team out at the same time. Don't they proof read the programme. They employ Colin so they must take all the blame.

a bit OTT in my opinion.
  • Options
    Agreed Large,

An organised protest outside the press entrance, and demands for a heartfelt apology will suffice for now.

A 2nd mistake and some form of public flogging will have to be considered though...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's typical of Charlton Life. I give my realistic/pragmatic view and I'm shouted down and abused by a clique who won't allow any criticism of the club.
  • Options
    from the program
    'As for the current Football League , there are six clubs we have never faced in league and cup football, including Accrington Stanley and Aldershot Town.
    Yes we did play Accrington, as mentioned above, and also Aldershot on several occassions, but both these clubs were wound up and new clubs formed.
    The other four current league clubs Charlton have never met are Cheltenham Town, Macclesfield Town, Morecambe and Wycombe Wanderers.'
  • Options
    So the question of the day is:

Are there only three other clubs Charlton have never met, or is there four and he got their name mixed up with Wycombe ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]So the question of the day is:

Are there only three other clubs Charlton have never met, or is there four and he got their name mixed up with Wycombe ??

I think it is just three.
  • Options
    What about MK Dons?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What about MK Dons?

Four then but maybe he is counting them as Wimbledon.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well, we have played Aldershot TWICE in Division 3 (now League 1) on 10/03/1974 and 01/02/1975 so CC has really fecked up here UNLESS Aldershot are not the same as Aldershot Town in which case I apologise unreservedly.

Whoops, just read the above post properly. Aldershot and Aldershot Town different Clubs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]well, we have played Aldershot TWICE in Division 3 (now League 1) on 10/03/1974 and 01/02/1975 so CC has really fecked up here UNLESS Aldershot are not the same as Aldershot Town in which case I apologise unreservedly.

No, here says that both Accrington and Aldershot have been re-formed since we last played them
  • Options
    On a similar subject as an avid collector of the NOTW football annual I was shocked to read the article in the 2002-3 edition reporting on the previous seasons Carling Cup Final. The headline was something like Balckburn win first Major Trophy in 70 odd years. Hang on a minute I thought, haven't they missed something? No, not the lucky Full Memebers Cup win 87, it said MAJOR trophy, the good old NOTW just happened to forget Rovers Prem title in '95!
    Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    Have we ever played Barnet?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

then surely he'd count both the Aldershot's as the same ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Have we ever played Barnet?

well I have three programmes from Barnet games :

05/01/92 FA Cup 3
    22/08/95 League Cup 1 2nd Leg
    15/08/95 League Cup 1 1st Leg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Have we ever played Barnet?

League cup in mid 90s. Steve Brown went off injured and Bowyer got a run in the side. The rest is geography as they say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

He's lost it. Got to go NOW so we can bring in a top flight historian with a decent record.

Simon Schama or Michael Wood would be my choices although the Club will no doubt go for the cheap in-house option and try Richard Redden.
  • Options
    That's a yes then!

I half remembered the league cup but wasn't 100% sure and was trying to come up with the team Colin mixed up with Wycombe.

Completely forgot the FA CUP game in 1992 though.
  • Options
    We've never played Wycombe in the league, that's probably how he got mixed up.

I may apply for his job, I've got a degree in statistics. 8-)
  • Options
    Not that Colin needs defending by me (although I can defend better than the current back 'pick any four from eight') but I've never met anyone who knows the small details of football better than he does.

If I'm stuck (frequently) or too useless to work out a statistic or fact (even more frequently) one e mail to Colin will always generate a quick, accurate and incredibly helpful response. I know other clubs have their own statisticians and historians, but there are none quite like Colin.

I'd also add that, as a newspaper man from the old days, he has more interesting views about the state of the game than many of the people who get far more space and far more prominence. He is, what I was always brought up to recognise as a "proper football man".

There are those who say we are not down until it's mathematically certain. I prefer to think of it as not being down until Colin Cameron says so. Unfortunately, he did mention that he feared the worst about six months ago, since when I've rather assumed we were doomed. Yet again, he's been proved right. Having said that, if anyone can locate the 27 missing points we need to survive (I haven't checked the figure - Colin will do that - but it feels like it must be at least that many), it's Mr Cameron...

With reference to the Wycombe game, I must confess, I left at half time. We couldn't pass to each other, it was cold, I was fed up, I'd had a long day at work and it was clear that we were, to coin an old footballing phrase "bleeding useless".

Stick the demise at my door, if you wish. Or at whichever of the plethora of coaches can't teach finishing, passing, defending from set-pieces, defending against pace, defending against big, ugly lumps, creativity, crossing or any of the rest of it. I haven't seen a decent cross at The Valley, delivered early and with pace, for about four years. It depresses me, but obviously, I keep it well hidden...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MickCollins[/cite]

Stick the demise at my door, if you wish. Or at whichever of the plethora of coaches can't teach finishing, passing, defending from set-pieces, defending against pace, defending against big, ugly lumps, creativity, crossing or any of the rest of it. I haven't seen a decent cross at The Valley, delivered early and with pace, for about four years. It depresses me, but obviously, I keep it well hidden...
    Maybe we need wingers who can wing, rather than than dribble into the right/left back or cut inside and get tackled.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MickCollins[/cite]Not that Colin needs defending by me (although I can defend better than the current back 'pick any four from eight') but I've never met anyone who knows the small details of football better than he does.

If I'm stuck (frequently) or too useless to work out a statistic or fact (even more frequently) one e mail to Colin will always generate a quick, accurate and incredibly helpful response. I know other clubs have their own statisticians and historians, but there are none quite like Colin.

I'd also add that, as a newspaper man from the old days, he has more interesting views about the state of the game than many of the people who get far more space and far more prominence. He is, what I was always brought up to recognise as a "proper football man".

There are those who say we are not down until it's mathematically certain. I prefer to think of it as not being down until Colin Cameron says so. Unfortunately, he did mention that he feared the worst about six months ago, since when I've rather assumed we were doomed. Yet again, he's been proved right. Having said that, if anyone can locate the 27 missing points we need to survive (I haven't checked the figure - Colin will do that - but it feels like it must be at least that many), it's Mr Cameron...

With reference to the Wycombe game, I must confess, I left at half time. We couldn't pass to each other, it was cold, I was fed up, I'd had a long day at work and it was clear that we were, to coin an old footballing phrase "bleeding useless".

appears he is still wrong though !!
  • Options
    Mick, its all tongue in cheek.

CC is a 'ledge', as the yoof would say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Yeah, why not....?

He could then count both the Manchester's as the same. and both the Sheffields.

No difference to me, everyone still beats us, whatever they're called .........

;o)
  • Options
    MK Dons is technically same club as Wimbledon but with a different name.
    Aldershot and Aldersot Town are 2 different clubs - one was formed after the other went out of existence and joined new league with a new administration etc.
  • Options
    Elements of this thread are indeed tongue in cheek.

However, on a serious note, what a compliment to CC's work over many years that, tongue in cheek or not, nobody can quite believe that he MIGHT have made a mistake hence the fact that it merits a thread on Charlton Life.