Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evening Gooner Charlton Feature

2»

Comments

• Options
    ''Well actually........Oh I can't be bothered to go all through that again! ;-)''

Oh go on, Chirpy - It's far less depressing discussing which part of London we occupy than which league we're going to be in !
  • Options
    Shall I start?
    I live here...its South East London! East London is across the Woolwich bleedin Ferry..... Right commence....
  • Options
    Oh no, what I have done? I was only joking, PeteF !!!
  • Options
    too late me old mucker.....
  • Options
    I thought it was a good measured response from Murray, its fairly clear that they put faith in the various managers who have subsequently let them down, what I would question is whether that has been the major failing of the board, and also whether its possible to do it differently. I guess you could ask the question if we have x players and get rid of y players how is the balance of the squad going to work.

A sad tale in all. The major lacking throughout for me has been the amount of effectifve creative talent in the team during and particularly after Reids time at the club, which still has not been addressed or even acknowledge. For me that is what football is all about, without those creative wide men or even central players, you simply will not service your strikers to score enough goals or retain possession to score at any level. They seem to be few and far between, which is perhaps a good reason not to sell them without a replacement lined up.
  • Options
    It wasn't going to be a Man City type deal but there was going to be some money available and Pards and I had six players ready to bring to the club to push on for promotion.

Six new players. Horrible thinking back to how different it could have been.
    Murray knows it will 'take a miracle' to avoid relegation. If they go down he promises a reduction in ticket prices, recognising that big home crowds could give the team the edge Leicester City have taken advantage of this season.

Good to know they understand that.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/attend.html

Leicester's average is over 18,000, Leeds over 22,000. Next best is Huddersfield with over 13,000, MK Dons over 10,000.

After that they're all less than 9,000 on average.

Where do all those Tranmere fans come from? Just over 6,000 on average, 22,000 is their highest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]A sad tale in all. The major lacking throughout for me has been the amount of effectifve creative talent in the team during and particularly after Reids time at the club, which still has not been addressed or even acknowledge. For me that is what football is all about, without those creative wide men or even central players, you simply will not service your strikers to score enough goals or retain possession to score at any level. They seem to be few and far between, which is perhaps a good reason not to sell them without a replacement lined up.

Still a problem yes, but at least for the next 8 games we have players that can pass and move better than we've had all season, with ZZ and Racon in there. Makes up a little but for the lack of someone able to play a killer pass. Although Shelvey can do that, but he doesn't really have the strikers to work with. He'd have 5 or 6 assists if Darren Bent was up front.
  • Options
    blimey, everyone's having their tuppance worth to say about CAFC

good to see that we are still such a big draw in the wider football world than say Smallwall or Palarse

as they say, no matter where you are in the Championship (even if it's rock bottom), there's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about...
  • Options
    Richard Murray.............you are a true gentleman
  • Options
    Pretty much what we were told at the fans forum meeting with the directors on the 26th Feb, some of which we couldnt discuss due to legalities. Season ticket prices will be published very soon from my understanding, and I think they will prove to be excellent value for money (dont ask me exactly how much as I dont know, exactly)

Now more than ever we need to get behind the club and support them....and its high time we put the past behind us and got on with moving forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a lot of time and respect for Murray but cannot understand what justifies this quote " Phil Parkinson was put in charge at the turn of the year and Murray credits him with a marked improvement"

How has Parkinson improved things at all? His record is worse than pardews and he was part of pardews team that got the team in the position it was in when he inherited. Really cannot see what improvement he has achieved?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Have a lot of time and respect for Murray but cannot understand what justifies this quote " Phil Parkinson was put in charge at the turn of the year and Murray credits him with a marked improvement"

How has Parkinson improved things at all? His record is worse than pardews and he was part of pardews team that got the team in the position it was in when he inherited. Really cannot see what improvement he has achieved?

i'm with ya rodney , it's not like when he joined us in 2007 we had him locked in a cupboard away from the players until the day pardew was sacked .... the facts are there in the points return but hey why deal in facts when we can speculate
  • Options
    Well thought out and well written article,

I think that it is a rallying call and it has got me hoping that mistakes are being learned from,

I have Huge reservaitions about Parky being kept on as boss but i think that it will happen and that there will be no changes to mgmt at the club.

Does it qwell my anger at the position we are in, NO

Does it shoulder blame and acknowledge mistakes YES

Do i think Ricahrd is taking one for the Team YES

Does it relight my faith in Muzza, YES

Does this mean i now trust the board to get it right next year NO Not really

the sad and damning thing for me is that i wish Richard wasnt such a nice bloke, i wish that he was in it just for the cash so i could really dislike him and have someone to blame but i dont and i think that is what is really pissing me off.

Fair play to him for doing that and being extreemly humble and honest, i doubt most ould, working for 15 years for nowt is an excellent example of the stature of the man and i doubt many of us would do that i know i wouldnt.

I just hope to god for once a good guy does win but nice guys have the habity of finishing last just ask Parky
  • Options
    Long live Muzza.

Not so sure I want Parky in charge next year, though.

But it may be that we simply won't be able to find someone better that we can afford.

CAFC League one champions 2009/2010. Or something.
  • Options
    "Where do all those Tranmere fans come from? Just over 6,000 on average, 22,000 is their highest. " Re Scoham 8 hrs ago.

Something not quite right as Tranmere's highest gate is 22,000, yet their capacity is 16,000 ish ?

Colchester also has the same issue, with their highest gate being above their capacity.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]"Where do all those Tranmere fans come from? Just over 6,000 on average, 22,000 is their highest. " Re Scoham 8 hrs ago.

Something not quite right as Tranmere's highest gate is 22,000, yet their capacity is 16,000 ish ?

Colchester also has the same issue, with their highest gate being above their capacity.

don't worry about it.no one gives a toss about football clubs at such a low level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]"Where do all those Tranmere fans come from? Just over 6,000 on average, 22,000 is their highest. " Re Scoham 8 hrs ago.

Our record attendance is 70K+, but the valley only holds 27k. What's going on? ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well you see the thing is, if you actually look at a map of London, Charlton is far more East than South. Just because it suits the Post Office to call us SE it is not geographicaly true.
    Anyway, before anyone gets too silly about this, the article says due to our "East London location re 2012" We do have an East London Location but we are not in the East End - The Standard never said we were.
  • Options
    "He said: I've put all the spare money I've ever earned into Charlton and worked for nothing for 15 years. It's my passion, my dream and I feel it's my vocation. We only have £6m of outside debt and that's a long-term mortgage. All the rest is guaranteed by individual directors. We're not going to pull the plug on Charlton. Relegation would be a worry – the TV money in League One is only £300,000 – but we'll survive it.'

Murray knows it will take a miracle' to avoid relegation. If they go down he promises a reduction in ticket prices, recognising that big home crowds could give the team the edge Leicester City have taken advantage of this season.

He said: “Being first or second in League One wouldn't do the club any harm in the long run, as long as we get back up straight away. This football club has special values and we'll protect them. I hope our fans – and maybe potential investors – will agree that they're values that are worth looking after.”.......

Of course that assumes that we will be first or second in that division...... not an easy task, especially with the present squad which many people think will have to be reduced by at least 10 players, hopefully the out of contract high earners.

Although a 'headline bit of spin' to state lower season tickets, where does that leave the finances. Where is the money coming from...... Another share issue, a bond issue on the freehold of the ground!, as Richard has already claimed it is very difficult to raise money via the banks. No parachute payments, very little tv revenue, needing £5 million a year to keep afloat, means having to sell players, even if you wanted to keep them.

I do not agree that being in a lower division will in any way be beneficial, either financially or as a team, you are still faced with the same issues, i.e. the team is not strong enough, seems unbalanced with too many players unproven and lacking the qualities to win 90 points plus. How are we going to get better players, another 6 Shelveys in the wings, all prepared to sign contracts and reach there promised potential! Just does not add up I am afraid, hope I am wrong.......

I wish him luck, we will need it....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Well you see the thing is, if you actually look at a map of London, Charlton is far more East than South. Just because it suits the Post Office to call us SE it is not geographicaly true.
    Anyway, before anyone gets too silly about this, the article says due to our "East London location re 2012" We do have an East London Location but we are not in the East End - The Standard never said we were.

We are south of the River Thames...in a part of London known as "South London", that makes us a south London club.

Yes, it really is that simple.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Well you see the thing is, if you actually look at a map of London, Charlton is far more East than South. Just because it suits the Post Office to call us SE it is not geographicaly true.

We are south of the River Thames...in a part of London known as "South London", that makes us a south London club.

Yes, it really is that simple.

Thats exactly what I was going to say BFR but by the same logic is Fulham a North London club? IMHO NO.