Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will the changes happen?

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Will the changes really happen at charlton next season?

New management team?
New Playing staff?
Fresh Match Day experience?
New Songs to be sung from the terraces?

Comments

• Options
    No none of that apart from 14 players going cos out of contract plus the loan players...

Did you not listen to the Board - they have told us that they are keeping the management...
  • Options
    I fail to believe anything the board has to say. Lets face it we been fed lies for the last 2 season.
  • Options
    I think we are in for a summer of severe change, and Parkinson will not start next season as manager.
  • Options
    To get a club of our stature back up from the third tier, surely we need a vastly experienced manager - I know that parkinson got colchester promoted, but they're a different kettle of fish compared to us as a club, in terms of where we came from, what we achieved, the state we're now in, etc. You could also suggest that he might have lucked out with his achievements there too (at colchester).

When I refer to getting an experienced manager, an example is when man city employed joe royle to pull them out of division three and he got them promoted, then he also took them back to the promised land (and down again!)- I'm not suggesting we look at bringing in royle here, but perhaps someone whose been in the management game a long time, to steady the ship and turn our fortunes back round ........
  • Options
    I think the board will act, if only to apease the fans, they can't afford for too many fans not to renew or come to the majority of games
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCTilliDie[/cite]Will the changes really happen at charlton next season?

New management team?
    New Playing staff?

1. Probably.
    2. There'll be a lot of changes, some expected, some unexpected.
    3. In that you'll be visiting a lot of grounds, mostly up north and in grim god forsaken recession hit former mining and mill towns that haven't been on any Charlton fan's itinerary for sometime. Plus there's round one and if we make it that far - round two of the FA Cup, and not forgetting we get to compete in the St Johnstone's Trophy for the first time ever, so all in all lots of new match day experiences to eagerly anticipate.
    4. Hopefully "The Reds are going up", a song that hasn't troubled our singers for some years will get an airing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCTilliDie[/cite]Will the changes really happen at charlton next season?

New management team?
    New Playing staff?

Fresh match day experience only if they switch off the music at 2 45 and let the atmosphere build
  • Options
    I'm not too sure about this one. Does the club need "mr experienced" to come in and take-over? Realistically who would that be? Who are Charlton gonna either return from the dead from management or take from a side that are presumabley doing better than us? We've had experienced men in the past. Pardew has been in the game long enough.. look what he achieved.
    If you look at the top 3 clubs of league 1 you have Di Matteo, Pearson and Darren Ferguson, both young new managers with new ideas and a different style of play. Roberto Martinez, Swansea manager is another example of a young unknown manager doing well in League 1.
    I do agree though that MK Dons, Peterbourgh and Swansea (at the time) are in a different state to what Charlton are in, but I still feel that if somebody like Di Canio came in he could be a real big suprise and shake things up the way we need. I think we are constantly trying to find another Mr. Curbishley.
    In saying all of that, Nigel Pearson reminds of what Parkinson could achieve. Was seen as a rubbish manager in The Championship, but given a fresh squad he has really turned it around.
  • Options
    I predict next season...the pot holes in the car park will be repaired, and the only music played will be Elvis

Wibble
  • Options
    Elvis ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Elvis ?

And whats wrong with that?

:-)
  • Options
    Be nice to have terraces
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think we are in for a summer of severe change, and Parkinson will not start next season as manager.

I really hope you are right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think we are in for a summer of severe change, and Parkinson will not start next season as manager.

I really hope you are right.

that's a controversial statEment from our sensible leader... he must have the inside story........... REVEAL!!
  • Options

AFKA, have you changed your stance re Parky. Is the above what you think or what you hope ?
  • Options
    Circumstances change.
    A month ago it looked like there were signs of improvement, we could end the season on the up (but not avoiding the drop) thus giving the side some momentum for next year.

Now it's not inconceivable we could not win again till the end of the season and the board will have to act or we could get relegated again next season...
  • Options
    the season is well and truely over. Get rid of Parky now, there is no point in keeping him on. Put Kins in charge till the end of the season. Go and get the new man in before the end of this season. If we could announce say Ince as new manager at the Narwich game that would give the whole Club a boost going into the summer, encourage fans to renew and MAY make the difference in say Bailey staying or going.
  • Options
    Another view could be that in recent weeks our performances have matched up against those of Wolves,Swansea,Reading and Preston with three draws and a harsh defeat.

McCarthy,Martinez,Coppell and Irvine reasonably respected Managers of 4 promotion challenging teams.

Of course in the same period we have lost at home to potential relegation (at one time) candidates of Watford and Doncaster.

I feel the Board are in a desperately difficult position.
  • Options
    Reading - in a bad home run, lost at home to Forest and Ipswich recently, even their fans sung that we must be shit cause they were winning at home
    Swansea - played well but they looked jaded after midweek cup game at Fulham, and recent home performance havn't been great
    Wolves - once again not been playing well at home recently
    Preston - worst away record in the league, other than us, they were very poor

I think we are in danger of making committed performances sound like good ones. Not much has improved and meanwhile the points differecnce has widened. 2 wins in 29, 2 in 21 for Parky, speak for themselves.

The only decision for the Board is whether to do it NOW or wait till the season is over.
  • Options
    This subject has been round the block so many times now and why not. It`s the single most important issue for Charlton right now. Parkinson should definitely be replaced but I think the board crave stability after the recent debacles so I think we will see PP stay and only be replaced if next season is an unmittigated disaster like bottom eight or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]the season is well and truely over. Get rid of Parky now, there is no point in keeping him on. Put Kins in charge till the end of the season. Go and get the new man in before the end of this season. If we could announce say Ince as new manager at the Narwich game that would give the whole Club a boost going into the summer, encourage fans to renew and MAY make the difference in say Bailey staying or going.

Didn't Ince turn down Brighton the other week and say he wanted to manage at championship level at the very least. Although to be fair Brighton look like going to league two.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]the season is well and truely over. Get rid of Parky now, there is no point in keeping him on. Put Kins in charge till the end of the season. Go and get the new man in before the end of this season. If we could announce say Ince as new manager at the Narwich game that would give the whole Club a boost going into the summer, encourage fans to renew and MAY make the difference in say Bailey staying or going.

Didn't Ince turn down Brighton the other week and say he wanted to manage at championship level at the very least. Although to be fair Brighton look like going to league two.

We'd have more pulling power than Brighton, dont want Ince anyhoo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]This subject has been round the block so many times now and why not. It`s the single most important issue for Charlton right now. Parkinson should definitely be replaced but I think the board crave stability after the recent debacles so I think we will see PP stay and only be replaced if next season is an unmittigated disaster like bottom eight or so.

Stability = Curbs + Varney. We've recognised that we've moved on, I'm just hoping that the board has as well.
  • Options
    ITV teletext is calling Kinsella manager and boss ! Do they know something we don`t ?
  • Options
    Until the last couple of days I was convinced the board would not get rid of Parkinson (partly because of money, partly because it would be an admission that they were totally wrong in appointing him in the first place and were the only people who could not see it).

I also convinced myself that on balance , havng persevered with him this far , they were probably right to keep him next season and although he's not an impact manager, he could rebuild and consolidate in div three, with good prospects of getting us back up.

I'm now coming round to the view that he will go this summer - and that it would be the right decision.

a) We could easily not win again this season, or at best pick up one win in our remaining seven games. That would give Parky 2/3 wins out of 28 . Far worse than Pardew's sackable record. And far worse than his own record at Hull, which also got him the boot. I think that alone will make his position untenable.

b) Having convinved myself that he knew what he was doing by bringing in Murty and Ward and getting us to look a bit more like a team (even though the results failed to imporve) , I now have serious doubts that he does know what he's doing.

It's only a minor thing in some ways, but I'd cite theZZ/Shelvey scenario. One minute he tells us he can't play the two most talented players in the squad in the same team as they ''replicate'' each other. Then he changes his mind. I'm glad he saw that he was wrong. But it was such an idiotic attitude in the first place that it has shaken my faith to the point where I now wonder if he's got a clue what he's doing. One could cite other examples - Burton's signing. Playing one up front at home . Clueless use of substitutes. Apparent inability to motivate etc.

Nope. I really can't see any way he will be starting next season.
  • Options
    No-one can really justify Parkinson staying, two league wins and one cup win. It's just not good enough. And it will be exactly the same next season I fear.
  • Options
    The Curbs rumours just keep comming up, the old man told me yesterday that he had it herd from someone he was going to be joining us again, with Varney heading up a take over bid. he is back at the club in waggys old job isint he? think its tripe personally. Parky to go new face in, Ince or Tilson or Howe or HArford for me.
  • Options
    Can't really argue with Nigel's summary too much. I think a fair assessment.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Reading - in a bad home run, lost at home to Forest and Ipswich recently, even their fans sung that we must be shit cause they were winning at home
    Swansea - played well but they looked jaded after midweek cup game at Fulham, and recent home performance havn't been great
    Wolves - once again not been playing well at home recently
    Preston - worst away record in the league, other than us, they were very poor

I think we are in danger of making committed performances sound like good ones. Not much has improved and meanwhile the points differecnce has widened. 2 wins in 29, 2 in 21 for Parky, speak for themselves.

The only decision for the Board is whether to do it NOW or wait till the season is over.[/quote]

Could NOT be put any better. Great post.
  • Options
    Hope I`m wrong but I think the board have accepted that next season is one of huge change on the pitch and will even tolerate a mid table finish. Only way Parky leaves is if we are in the shizer again imho.