Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

saturdays gate officially below 20k

but when was the last time we had a league attendance of sub 20k anyone know or care??

Comments

• Options
    Crewe 2001 ?
  • Options
    thats because they only had 156 away with them!
  • Options
    I reckon the true figure for Saturday was around 12,000 possibly even less.
    The group that sit with normally comprises 9 people. On Saturday we only had 4 turned up, and the way that people were speaking I doubt that we will even get that for the remaining games.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There was a game against Bradford just after which was below 20k, but Saturday was the lowest since the Crewe game.

Except the 'actual attendance' was much lower than that, and the lowest since i dread to think. Below 14k in the ground, meaning some 4-5,000 ST holders skipped it on Saturday.

Extremely worrying for a Saturday game with good weather, and probably the starkest warning needed to the powers that be that big change is needed.
  • Options
    walking to the ground you could tell attendance would be low, streets were deserted, scary stuff..
  • Options
    Of the 8 i usually go with only 2 went. 3 went to AFC Wimbledon to watch Welling and 3 just couldn't be bothered. One of my mates who went to Welling actually said it's the first time he'd enjoyed an away game in a long time. Sums us up really.
  • Options
    of the four guys that normally sit behind us only 1 turned up. Two have missed three of the last 5 home games but I doubt they have missed that many in total since the East Stand has opened. Worrying and something the Board have to consider when deciding Parky's fate.
  • Options
    The attendance will surely be even lower for the Blackpool home game, and i wonder how many will bother for the night game with those friendly chaps from Cardiff?
  • Options
    I skipped. Couldn't justify the journey/cost after going to Wolves and Reading.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The drop in attendances is essentially a dress rehearsal for next season with the fan base resigned to more Parky. I think this should be viewed as the neon graffiti on the wall for the board regarding their next course of action.
    Next season with Parky- No hope and quarter filled stadium and a futher relegation battle. With change and a renewed sense of direction under an actual manager-Decent passion filled performances, Promotion and decent crowds! No one has to be a maths genius to work out that this makes sense.
    The argument that it makes no sense to do it now has in my mind no validity. Get someone in now, get to know how the land lies, get rid of some players, get in others, bed down now for what is needed tomorrow.
    Come on you reds!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't go, but mainly cause it was my little ones 2nd b'day....didn't sound like I missed much
  • Options
    I spose a lot think the season is over, which may account for it.
  • Options
    A lot of the people who gave saturdays game a miss are long term Charlton supporters. Some of these people have barely missed a home match since the return to the Valley.

Leaving the ground on Saturday the feeling of despair and apathy was unbelievable. If Richard Murray keeps Parkinson on as manager I fear that more of the hardened supporters will vote with their feet. Also it will be interesting to know how many people are prepared to purchase a season ticket for next season if Parkinson is still in charge.
  • Options
    I was wondering whether it might be an idea for the club to implement a member privelege scheme for those who might not want to get a full season ticket.

Something like pay £100 and you can select a number of matches, and then upgrade fee for any on top for any more than that. Most importantly would be that you can retain your seat. Of course you would need to nominate your games early enough so the club could sell your seat, although I don't think that would necessarily be a problem.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I was wondering whether it might be an idea for the club to implement a member privelege scheme for those who might not want to get a full season ticket.

Something like pay £100 and you can select a number of matches, and then upgrade fee for any on top for any more than that. Most importantly would be that you can retain your seat. Of course you would need to nominate your games early enough so the club could sell your seat, although I don't think that would necessarily be a problem.[/quote]

thats a decent idea.
  • Options
    I didnt go. Spent the day with Mrs and the little man. Far more enjoyable than listening to Dicko's stories!
  • Options
    I didn't go either. I was on my way back from Verbier. My week's skiing has been the most enjoyable week of the winter months. I've got no enjoyment from Charlton at all this year.
  • Options
    One thing the attendances this season are showing, when we drop we are no Leicester or Leeds.
    Our 'dyed in the wool' support who turn up no matter simply isn't as big as perhaps a few of us hoped it was.
  • Options
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

I got home in time to watch the whole second half of the Wales v Ireland game.

I wouldn't have done normally.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]One thing the attendances this season are showing, when we drop we are no Leicester or Leeds.
    Our 'dyed in the wool' support who turn up no matter simply isn't as big as perhaps a few of us hoped it was.

If i lived round the corner i would of gone, but having to travel 4 hours in total was easily avoidable on a sunny Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]One thing the attendances this season are showing, when we drop we are no Leicester or Leeds.

If i lived round the corner i would of gone, but having to travel 4 hours in total was easily avoidable on a sunny Saturday!

You've nailed it I think.

When we were in the third division nearly 30 years ago and certainly back in the early seventies most fans lived within a 10 mile radius of the ground. That is no longer the case and it is distinctly questionable whether people will be prepared to invest the time and expense in 50 mile plus round trips for third division football in my opinion.
  • Options
    I didnt even know the result until 10pm on saturday night - I had no urge to go on my phone and find it out either.

It's pretty scary as I am also seriously thinking now about not renewing next year. There is just no incentive (other than giving the club advanced money) for me to stump up the money.

I'll probably go to most games but it will be buy on the day. Just how I feel at the moment.
  • Options
    could have had a cheapo ticket but idid what the players have done for the majority of the season and didnt show up.
  • Options
    I was working out of town, otherwise would have gone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

When we were in the third division nearly 30 years ago and certainly back in the early seventies most fans lived within a 10 mile radius of the ground. That is no longer the case and it is distinctly questionable whether people will be prepared to invest the time and expense in 50 mile plus round trips for third division football in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong i'll be there next season, making the journeys each week like i have all this season but it's got a point now where i just want this season to end and therefore am tending to find excuses not go to home games. The shite that we've been put through this season makes any kind of lengthy journey unbearable.

I will go to Saints & Derby for the crack, i'm sure they will be both be good days out.
  • Options
    i rudely left my family in the park at 145pm to travel to the game from sunny essex and after witnessing that tediousness realised i am severely damaged and just grateful for the glory years that we once had
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Don't get me wrong i'll be there next season, making the journeys each week like i have all this season but it's got a point now where i just want this season to end and therefore am tending to find excuses not go to home games. The shite that we've been put through this season makes any kind of lengthy journey unbearable.

I will go to Saints & Derby for the crack, i'm sure they will be both be good days out.

I didn't intend to suggest you won't be there and I'm sure I will be too despite having a 70 mile round trip.

I still reckon that a lot won't though.
  • Options
    I've no doubt you're right.
  • Options
    well it's going to be better next year,more so than the last couple. games we will have a chance of winning,no glory boys or premier football fans, just real proper supporters.more new grounds.oh we are going to have so much fun.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]well it's going to be better next year,more so than the last couple. games we will have a chance of winning,no glory boys or premier football fans, just real proper supporters.more new grounds.oh we are going to have so much fun.

yeah but i'm sure you said that 2 years ago and it hasn't quite turned out like that