Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So which manager, realistically, could we appoint that would give us a lift

and crucially get more people to renew their season tickets.

More than a few people have said that they won't renew or know others who won't renew if Parkinson is still in charge next season.

I've always said that I like Parky and I still think he'll be a good manager for someone if not us but if it is not to be Parkinson then who realistically can we get because I can't see Curbs or Mourinho coming or us being able to afford them.

So out the following, totally unscientific or thought out selection, whose appointment as Valley boss would make you most likely to renew your season ticket?

Steve Cotterill

Paul Ince

George Graham

Jorge Costa

Phil Parkinson

Steve Tilson

Lennie Lawrence and Paul Trollope

Lennie Lawrence and Mark Kinsella

Paolo Di Canio

Comments

• Options
    George Graham would be the best out of that bunch by some distance
  • Options
    From the heart Paulo Di Canio
    From the head Phil Parkinson
  • Options
    From the heart - Lennie & Kins
    From the head - Lennie & Trollope
  • Options
    Roy keene

Paul ince

Kins chris powell with lennie as director of football

Steve tilson
  • Options
    Paul Trollope
  • Options
    Otherwise it might be worth looking around and taking someone who's been coaching and looking to take his first step into management.
  • Options
    Out of those, Cotterill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Talal[/cite]George Graham would be the best out of that bunch by some distance

I'd be interested to know why George graham is still considered a serious managerial candidate? He has been out of the game for 8 years if i am not wrong. Either he is applying for jobs and not getting or isn't interested.
  • Options
    i very much doubt he's been applying, think i heard that he'd kind of given up on management so in that case maybe not a good choice! but on credentials and someone who wouldn't tolerate any bull i'd love to have him.
  • Options
    PDC
    Jorge Costa
    Paul Ince
    Roy Keane
    Paul Trollope
    Steve Tilson

in that order for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to say that I discounted Keane as too expensive or unrealistic but I just didn't think of him.
  • Options
    henners i would love any of them but if we get one of em then the men in the white coats will have to come to take me away
  • Options
    What about Keegan?
  • Options
    Although I personally cannot stand him, wouldn't Peter Taylor be a reasonable candidate?
    As long as no one proposes Ian bloody Holloway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]What about Keegan?

Like his history of WWI but not a football manager IMHO : -)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]henners i would love any of them but if we get one of em then the men in the white coats will have to come to take me away

Just as long as you lock the van first ; - )
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mick Harford at Luton.

Has done an amazing job there given their mammoth points deduction & player exodus.

He has got them to a Wembley Final & within sniffing distance of (although now unlikely) survival.

Could he be the kind of non-nonsense manager to build OUR squad/team up from scratch.
  • Options
    What about Dave Bassett?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    another palace no fecking way
  • Options
    Oh jimmy

Paul Ince NO BRAINER.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about the bloke from OTIS?
  • Options
    Out of Henry's list. None of em for me.

George Graham would have been the bloke instead of Dowie but 3 years to late now.

I have mentioned Darren Ferguson as my choice before on other threads and still think he would be a right for us.

Can't be on big wages at the Posh and has done it on a shoe string, would come with a successful background.

Would he drop a division if he gets Peterborough up to the Championship, don't see why not for a club like ours with bigger potential to go further once he gets us in the right direction. Blackpools manager droped them for Leeds.
  • Options
    How about Howard Kendell
  • Options
    Roberto Martinez - as I said in August

Sexy football please!!!!!!
  • Options
    Quite why George Graham's name crops up consistently in these types of surveys i'll never know.

The blokes been out of the game nearly as long as pig bladder footballs!
  • Options
    Good thread.

I'm not so sure. Remember Dowie was supposed to have done well with Oldham and then Palace, only takes one bad job as a manager and they go from a 'promising young manager' to not being considered at all.

We'd need someone who knows the division, would Di Canio or Jorge Costa be able to find bargains and frees from Championship, League One and even some League Two clubs? It could be exciting but could make things worse.

As said not sure why George Graham always comes up in things like this, not managed since Spurs in 2001.

Tilson, Cotteril, Darren Ferguson and that Scottish manager thats been mentioned in the past (what was his name again?) could all work well with a bit of time. So hard to say though, who knows they might turn out like Parkinson or Boothroyd - first season or two of their managerial career looks good, not so good after that.

Then you've got the bigger names like Ince and Keane, similarly they might work out but if they don't get things right it could get worse. Keane's never worked without having money to spend. People didn't like Pardew's ego, and whenever Ince is mentioned someone says he has a big ego himself.
  • Options
    That Brian Clough was pretty good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Roberto Martinez - as I said in August

Sexy football please!!!!!!

Would have had him, won't get him now though. Same with O'Driscoll at Doncaster I'd imagine as well?
  • Options
    There's that bloke who took Colchester up from Division 3 not so long ago.
  • Options
    Simon Grayson left Blackpool in the Championship to join a bigger club in Leeds in league 1 so its not impossible that O'Driscol or Martinez could be persueded should the right package be tabled, although I very much doubt that in our fianical position.

The one nobody has mentioned who I reckon we could get quite cheaply is the Scunthorpe boss Nigel Adkins.