Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So which manager, realistically, could we appoint that would give us a lift

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Howe, Collins or Ince for me...

I assume you mean John Collins ?
  • Options
    No big egos please, altho I'd make an exception for DiC Anyo
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Howe, Collins or Ince for me...[/quote]

I assume you mean John Collins ?[/quote]

Joan Collins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I'm hoping he means Phil Collins rather than John Collins! What managerial experience has John Collins got that will help us? Finished playing here about 5-6 years ago, never managed in England and now manages a rubbish team in Belgium!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

I'm hoping he means Phil Collins rather than John Collins! What managerial experience has John Collins got that will help us? Finished playing here about 5-6 years ago, never managed in England and now manages a rubbish team in Belgium!

agree with you but I was confirming that it was John Collins whom he meant.
  • Options
    Johnson/Ferguson/Martinez for me...dont mind which one, lets just get this club going in the right direction once again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Johnson/Ferguson/Martinez for me...dont mind which one, lets just get this club going in the right direction once again

Tel i would be happy to get anyone of those 3 i anint to fussy right now but i can not see anyone leaving a chumpionship club to come to us, it surely can not happen i reckon the scottish fella mooted here a few weeks ago is in with a proper shout .

I WANT PDC ARE YOU LISTENING MUZZA I WANT HIM AND I WANT HIM BY SATURDAY ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Johnson/Ferguson/Martinez for me...dont mind which one, lets just get this club going in the right direction once again

Isn't this thread about managers we can realistically get? Why would any of those three drop a division to come to us when we have no money to spend?
    Add to that the fact we won't pay any compensation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Johnson/Ferguson/Martinez

And no doubt everyone of us would bite your hand off to have one of them.

But as Chris says, is there anyone who could put a plausible argument of why they would come to us as our club stands (ownership, finance etc) in its current state ?
  • Options
    No way would Martinez come here IMO.

Swansea are on the up, great stadium, still got an outside chance of making the play-offs

He'll literally be out of our league next season...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

agree with you but I was confirming that it was John Collins whom he meant.
    Funnily enough, it was John. A risk, I would accept, although when his playing career finished and the total proportion of it spent in England has jack shit to do with anything (Sir, Hiddink, Wenger and Benitez all get by without ANY English playing experience and still get by so let's not get hung up about irrelevant facts).

For me Collins period at Hibs showed amazing potential. He certainly outperformed Mowbray and delivered a quality of football that is usually missing in Scotland - while losing all his best players and having zero budget. He also put improved on the youth development facilities up and that's another way that we, as a financially strapped team, might be able to compete again in the medium term. At the moment we're probably not going to have Mourinho knocking in the door demanding a job with Charlton so taking a risk is one of the ways that we might get a manager that has potential to take the team up beyond where we are now.
  • Options
    I certainly don't think Collins is a bad one to throw into the mix
  • Options
    Aidy Bothroyd. I reckon he could do a job
  • Options
    Lawrie Sanchez?
  • Options
    My choice would be PDC. No experience but nor did Lennie or Curbs. Passion in bundles. Would inspire fans, players and media alike. Understands how football should be played. According to Curbs was a consumate professional. Knows the club has potential and would lift the roof off The Valley if appointed.
  • Options
    Oggy ?
  • Options
    I'd be happy with Bothroyd or PDC. Not keen on Sanchez.
  • Options
    think theres more chance of AFKA being signed for the LA Lakers then there is of us Getting PDC back to SE7, anyway say he does, gets us promoted wins a trophy or two, Lazio/ another italian club come calling he will be off in a shot.. to un predictable for me. This will be the biggest appointment in our history since seed and Curbs, has to be thought out backed and supported all the way...

Kim Grant is out of work after his amazing spell at woking ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]think theres more chance of AFKA being signed for the LA Lakers then there is of us Getting PDC back to SE7, anyway say he does, gets us promoted wins a trophy or two, Lazio/ another italian club come calling he will be off in a shot.. to un predictable for me. This will be the biggest appointment in our history since seed and Curbs, has to be thought out backed and supported all the way...

if whomever we appoint is later chased by Lazio or West Ham or another PL team it would be because he had done a fantastic job for us and if that's the case I'll take that right now.
  • Options
    haven't read all posts so apologies if already said.
    what about mark bowen?
    is he ready to become a number one?
    he has an insight into what our club can achieve.
    he was a succesful number 2 to steve bruce when birmingham won promotion via the play-offs.
    he has worked with mark hughes at blackburn and man city.
    also worked with hughes for wales.

if he showed a desire to become a number 1, would a club with man city's wealth stand in his way or ask for compo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But then were back to square one one again mate.. this appointment has to be long term a quick fix is not the answer need someone who would do a 5-10 year stint at the club not a one season wonder, we have to start from the bottom now and we need stabilty fast.
  • Options
    Mark Bowen I would be very happy with, Steve Clarke another.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]think theres more chance of AFKA being signed for the LA Lakers then there is of us Getting PDC back to SE7, anyway say he does, gets us promoted wins a trophy or two, Lazio/ another italian club come calling he will be off in a shot.. to un predictable for me. This will be the biggest appointment in our history since seed and Curbs, has to be thought out backed and supported all the way...

if whomever we appoint is later chased by Lazio or West Ham or another PL team it would be because he had done a fantastic job for us and if that's the case I'll take that right now.

What large said. He'll only be poached if he does a good job.

And I think he would be interested.

Leaning now more towards Ince if Parky has to go.

Think he ticks both boxes ie gives us a lift and track record but PDC would be interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    would Ince come though ? In the Championship then yes, but League 1 ? However, he would have to reconcile that with the fact we are a sleeping giant and in terms of crowds bigger than at least half the current Championship sides and a few in the PL. Do a good job and he'll be in with a shout of another PL job whereas at the moment he has no chance of that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]would Ince come though ? In the Championship then yes, but League 1 ? However, he would have to reconcile that with the fact we are a sleeping giant and in terms of crowds bigger than at least half the current Championship sides and a few in the PL. Do a good job and he'll be in with a shout of another PL job whereas at the moment he has no chance of that.

Well he went to Macclesfield and MK Dons so anything is possible. But i'm pretty sure he's gone on record as saying he wants a championship job at the very least. I personally think he'll go to QPR when Sousa inevitably leaves
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]would Ince come though ? In the Championship then yes, but League 1 ? However, he would have to reconcile that with the fact we are a sleeping giant and in terms of crowds bigger than at least half the current Championship sides and a few in the PL. Do a good job and he'll be in with a shout of another PL job whereas at the moment he has no chance of that.

Can't say if he would come but we would be a bigish fish in a small pond and he has said he'd be prepared to take a cut from the wages he was getting from Blackburn Rovers.
  • Options
    How about Ledge?
    He could give us a lift.
  • Options
    *groan*
    Surely that's worthy of a yellow card?
  • Options
    I haven't been keeping up with threads of late, so apols if this has been covered elsewhere - but...

...is there some inside knowledge on Parky getting the boot? I thought he'd be here for the foreseeable.

I'd be very sceptical about ANOTHER manager coming in. Although PDC would be fun. And we could do with a bit of fun now. I reckon he'd definitely take it too.
  • Options
    How about Paul Jewell?