Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And Now the end is near...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

He might not be a total clown

thats just f*cking rude.

Im with you peanutman. Fekk me waggot isnt a player. He's not even the team manager. He's just doing his job in very difficult circumstances.

.....and comparing him to Laurel & Hardy as someone did earlier in the thread isn't?

He may well be the nicest bloke in the world, don't know, don't really care. He is a senior figure at the club and I'm not impressed with the statement he gave in the programme. If he was happy with the statement then so be it.

A fair few on here appear to be unimpressed.

Next time I'll go the whole hog a compare him to Gerry Cottle.
  • Options
    I'm with Tel on this. Why do we have to pull everyone to bits and never give any credit for the good stuff? What exactly is he supposed to say in public?
  • Options
    I can see most people are unimpressed but dont see the need to be insulting of someone who's trying to paint a pretty picture of a turd.
  • Options
    Eloquently expressed, Curb_It !

He's got a pretty thankless job to do as he's looking at managing a £4.5 m operational deficit next year. Huge number of redundancies on the way, I would guess, on and off the field.

But yes, it's out of order to insult him, regardless of whether he's a nice bloke (which isn't really relevant, in my book, just so long as he does his job).

I don't suppose he believes the nonsense he spouted in the programme either, but he's got to try and sell season tickets somehow!

But I don't buy this hogwash about us playing better now. Better than under the Pardew/Parky 18 match run without a win or however many games it was, may be. But we are NOT playing better than we were at the start of the season, when we got 10 points from our first seven games and won three of them. How many points has this 'improved' Parky side got from the last seven? I think it's four . And he's won two games out of 21, I believe.

So no more of this 'much improved' nonsense, please - from Mr Waggott or anyone else! It only serves to obscure the extent of the problems that have to be addressed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Eloquently expressed, Curb_It !

He's got a pretty thankless job to do as he's looking at managing a £4.5 m operational deficit next year. Huge number of redundancies on the way, I would guess, on and off the field.

But yes, it's out of order to insult him, regardless of whether he's a nice bloke (which isn't really relevant, in my book, just so long as he does his job).

I don't suppose he believes the nonsense he spouted in the programme either, but he's got to try and sell season tickets somehow!

But I don't buy this hogwash about us playing better now. Better than under the Pardew/Parky 18 match run without a win or however many games it was, may be. But we are NOT playing better than we were at the start of the season, when we got 10 points from our first seven games and won three of them. How many points has this 'improved' Parky side got from the last seven? I think it's four . And he's won two games out of 21, I believe.

So no more of this 'much improved' nonsense, please - from Mr Waggott or anyone else! It only serves to obscure the extent of the problems that have to be addressed.

He didnt say 'much improved' just improved. And went on to qualify it regarding results.

In the circumstances I think it is a well balanced piece.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dnt need anyone good or bad guy to waffle on about better performanaces etc its frigging disgrace what has happened to the club in the last 3 seasons.

99% of the people on this board will go along next year ---- maybe not every game but we will be there ---------- we aint being paid to go-----we aint being entertained ----- we aint seeing anything but shit ---- we go because we support the club.

just sick of this "parkinson has improved the performances" bullshit. We were told he would be given the job if results -------THATS RESULTS -----inproved. He is without doubt the worst EVER caretaker manager in the history of the league ---------- we continue to be lost and all over the show.

The fact being we had no money and coulnt afford anyone else --- SO BE IT.

If Parkinson stays next year it will affect the gate -------------- most (not all) see him as a worse version of Pardew.
  • Options
    Things have improved on the pitch, they have gone from absolutely dire to just bad. Results have improved a tiny amount.

I have heard from a number of people who have met SW who have been impressed with him. I think, as Tel has said, you can't expect him to be anything other then positive in what has been, since he took over, almost total doom and gloom.

They have a hugely difficult job to knock enough costs out of the business to survive on the income available in Div One. Indeed frankly I'd be astonished if it can be done without more money being put in by the Directors to boulster the balance sheet in the short term. I'm sure they know this.

The key for me is getting it right now on the pitch. Clearly without significant additional investment, that is going to have to be done by
    1. a combination of clever horse trading/wheeling and dealing.
    2. as sharp a scouting set up as can be mustered from the resources
    3. the development of young players
    4. a manager/coach that can make the sum of the parts perform greater than the individuals.

Is Parky that person? Well I am afraid I have seen nothing to suggest that, difficult position though he has been in since taking over.
  • Options
    Spot on Bing, eloquently explained.

It's just shameful the way some "clowns" feel they have to attack Waggy. He's a good bloke trying to do an almost impossible job.
  • Options
    Excellent post, Bing.

Things have improved marginally on the pitch since the nadir of Nov/Dec. But no way are we playing as well as we were in Aug/Sept - which wasn't spectacularly fantastic, but was definitely OK.

In retrospect, may be not enough attention was paid to what went wrong after September, because we really did start the season reasonably well. By October, the wheels were starting to fall off and rather than examining why, all our energies went into thinking 'Pardew must go'. Which he had to, of course. But my point is that we never actually got to the bottom of WHY things had got so bad.

As for Red Pete's comment about Mr Waggott being ''a good bloke trying to do an almost impossible job'', I really don't care if he's kind to animals or if he eats small children for breakfast. I want to know if he's a COMPETENT bloke trying to do an almost impossible job.

I have no reason to believe that he isn't competent, but not a lot of empirical evidence proving that he is, because I'm not close enough to the day to day running of the club. So if the board says he's doing a decent job, I'll accept their word.