Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Brooker's Newswipe

edited April 2009 in Not Sports Related
Love it - what a great program. Always enjoyed his stuff - he is also the spitting image of Big Jeff known to the CIFC fraternity!

This week's episode was spot on in so many ways.

His accurate take on Rod Liddle...

"I've tried to think of something witty & clever to say about Rod Liddle......but he just comes across as a c*nt!"

Comments

• Options
    The funniest programme on TV currently.

Looking forward to him getting stuck into the Sky NEws coverage of the protests this week.
  • Options
    Excellent, did not think he could beat screenwipe, but he does.
  • Options
    Where when ???

*hightails it to Iplayer*

I'm reading Dawn of the Dumb at the moment. Brooker's a genius.
  • Options
    BBC 4. Wednesdays. 10.30pm.
  • Options
    Missed this weeks to be honest, will i player it tonight
  • Options
    Does a very good bit on Jade Goody
  • Options
    Excellent stuff, anybody know where I can turn up episode one, mysteriously missing off IPlayer. When is it first screened (must Sky + in future)
  • Options
    He's a happy chap i'll give him that............... does make me laugh though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Excellent stuff, anybody know where I can turn up episode one, mysteriously missing off IPlayer. When is it first screened (must Sky + in future)
    Found it on youtube if anyone else is interested...
  • Options
    Shame they haven't got the stones to put it on BBC1 - the man is a comedy genius and often gets it bang on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a great programme. The new stewart lee show on bbc2 means the bbc actually have something worth watching, for a few weeks at least.

Paxman summarised the usual BBC programming pretty well, though...

the usual BBC3
  • Options
    That's a good bit of Paxo (he also featured well in Newswipe). I've got to disagree with you about that Stewart Lee thing. The style that made him a pretty engaging comic in the 90s now sees him coming across as a fat old whining bloke. The odd good gag he tells quickly gets annoying because he repeats it three times, while moving closer to the camera, in case you didn't get it. He'll follow that up with a sketch which will be initially obvious before becoming repetitive. the shit on Channel 4 sketch the other week may very well be the worst sketch seen on TV since three of a kind. I guess it's why straightmen should never go solo. It reminds me of going to dinner with a friend that you haven't seen for ages and can't wait to see, only for them to hurl a shovel full of shit in your face several times, before bludgening you unconcious with the shovel. I was disappointed.
  • Options
    He was spot on regarding Jade 'the Legend' Goody as well.

Stewart Lee does come across as very smug and whiny, which is a shame as he is very smart usually.

Funniest thing by a mile on TV: The Inbetweeners.

Last weeks episode was classic.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the repeating punchlines thing has been a part of his stand up act for a while, because his shows are (sometimes painfully) slow paced and some people find that a complete turn off (not saying that's necessarily you, mclovin, just talking generally).

I haven't liked the sketches too much but i don't really watch sketch shows. I think the way he takes a bit of satire or an observation and it builds and builds is great. Every bit of it is put together so cleverly and carefully that it makes him one of the best around. I saw him live for the first time a year or two ago and loved it and his style maybe isn't the easiest to transfer to tv, but i've enjoyed the show.
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Stewart Lee does come across as very smug and whiny, which is a shame as he is very smart usually.

On the interactive bit he does with armando iannucci after each episode he acknowldeges that he may come across as bitter and whiny, and usually just takes the piss out of himself for it.

At least it's something a bit different!
  • Options
    Someone told me about the Stewart Lee thing, i watched it and wished i'd stuck nails in my eyes instead. Was terrible.

And yes i did get it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

OH, FEISTY ONE YOU ARE !

Cracking episode. Never saw the first series, but desperate to see it now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

OH, FEISTY ONE YOU ARE !

Cracking episode. Never saw the first series, but desperate to see it now.

It's "on demand" if you're with Virgin. CE junior is watching it right now.
  • Options
    UKNova & The Box - freely available

I said to my missus last night if either of those services go tits up - we'll be on the first plane back to Blighty as Canadian/American TV is pure, unrelenting cack.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    Last weeks episode was classic.[/quote]

OH, FEISTY ONE YOU ARE !

Cracking episode. Never saw the first series, but desperate to see it now.[/quote]

First series is hilarious, often repeated late on E4 if you search the schedules, first episode of series 2 lived up to expectations.
  • Options
    Agreed.

YES I KNOW WE SET OFF A F**KING FLARE!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funniest character on TV:

'Do you want a lick of my Cornetto?'
  • Options
    Oakster...no argument here. If only there really were such a thing as "Canadian TV"...
  • Options
    Heads up for a screenwipe review of 2009 on tonight at 10.30 on BBC4. I am looking forward to it:

"Caustic comic and writer Charlie Brooker returns in a doomed bid to summarise 2009's TV output without vomiting. From the unpleasant spectacle of Britain's Got Talent to the downright worrying The Execution of Gary Glitter, and everything in-between, this is the only television programme you need watch this year, or indeed ever again. Contains weeping and screaming and words."

Wonder what he has to say about the X-Factor?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Love it - what a great program. Always enjoyed his stuff - he is also the spitting image of Big Jeff known to the CIFC fraternity!

"I've tried to think of something witty & clever to say about Rod Liddle......but he just comes across as a c*nt!"

Graeme

It's programme ... PROGRAMME :P
  • Options
    Cheers Biggy. Best show on TV, I'd have missed it if it hadn't been for this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Cheers Biggy. Best show on TV, I'd have missed it if it hadn't been for this.

Ditto that, I think Charlie Brooker is great but I'd definitely have missed this without the heads up.
  • Options
    I think Charlie Brooker and I were separated at birth (apart from the football thing).
  • Options
    he's also got a new book out, 'the hell of it all' which is v funny
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Love it - what a great program. Always enjoyed his stuff - he is also the spitting image of Big Jeff known to the CIFC fraternity!

Graeme

It's programme ... PROGRAMME :P

LOL - thanks for the heads up though - have downloaded it from The Box!
  • Options
    Watched it last night and he was funny but...

He does pick some soft targets. X factor, Britain's got Talent etc.

Never watched them or that Noel Edmonds vehicle he slagged off so was left feeling "yes, Charlie, very witty but I didn't care about those shows anyway"

Bit like shooting ducks in a barrel IMHO meanwhile he's using his disdain as an excuse to show some funny bloopers (eg the unedited swearing on breakfast TV).